Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stitches216

Seasonal distractions, shameless confession

stitches216
17 years ago

It's getting to be the dog days. Too hot & humid to garden even after 7:30 p.m. till dark. So last night, I found an alternative. It was like going to heaven, thanks to TV.

First up: Women's College World Series. Arizona vs. Northwestern. One more game tonight. Sometimes, I wish men competed more like women do, in the well-known team sports. (But it is getting harder and harder to see how they compete differently.) It wasn't a close game, but it was still fun to watch. Sincerely spirited competition - I LOVE it!!

Confession: the most fun for me was..."falling in love" all over again! I think Arizona's #4 in right field, Adrienne Acton, is the cutest thing in a cap and cleats since...well, since DW's playing days! Good ballplayer, runs like a deer, and her smile just melts me! I can't wait to watch her again tonight. (DW doesn't mind. She knows I'm just looking and reminiscing. Haw! I've fooled her, haven't I? [Not!]) Anyway, baseball fans: as long as the Astros are comatose, switch to the channel with the college women's contest. Who knows? You might find your own excuse to fall in love all over again.

Next on TV: "Quite Frankly," a sports talk show. Guest: Cal Ripken Jr., the baseball all-star who played more consecutive games without missing a game than anyone since Lou Gehrig (who died of a horrible, rare disease now named after him). Holy Cow! All future White House press secretaries could take lessons from Cal. He is by far better at handling interviews and tough questions than any other baseball player I've seen. He is just pure style, grace and elegance. Perfect Hall-of-Famer. Solid character, as rock solid and tough as his body had to be, to play over 2,600 straight games. This might offend some fans, but I honestly think Cal has more class than the old standard, Joe DiMaggio. At least, Cal seems to handle his public versus private life much more adeptly. (I honestly think Cal was a better ballplayer, too.)

OK, now, back to VERY LIGHT gardening for me, until tonight's Arizona game!

Comments (5)

• bobbi_p
    17 years ago

I must confess, I take my binoculars to Astros games now even when we've got the "good seats." (I can't ever seem to get "close enough" to Brad Ausmus!) My husband jokes about my "crush," but I can tell he's puffing his breast feathers just a bit every time he "jokes."

To tell you the truth, having the kids home from school has made for a more hectic schedule than ever. I'm having troubles getting out to the garden to pick the rest of my green beans. Luckily, the garden is shaded by 4PM, so I'm not out in the sun.

By the time supper is done, I collapse on the couch and fall to sleep until my husband wakes me up to go to bed!

• stitches216
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Bobbi it sounds like you don't have cable TV! If you do, all you have to do to keep awake after supper is tune in the Astros. They aren't doing well right now, but you could watch Ausmus - he hit a homer just last night. Our cable system has them on either Channel 37 or Channel 2 almost every game.

That's funny he's the one you have the crush on. A lady for some reason I can't remember, last year, asked me who I thought was the most handsome Astro, and I picked him. I haven't bothered to see if he's still #1 this year - haven't looked at any team photos. Maybe they have some new "hunk." I'd be more interested in a look at the team wives to name a #1 pick there...but I'll stand by what I've already said of Ms. Acton. Not sure if she's graduating...but her team won, and it's too hot right now, so I think I'll just stay indoors and have another 'rita...

• beachplant
    17 years ago

Cleats? They wear them in baseball right? Or is it golf? They wear some kind of funny shoes in golf.

I go out early, sit on the porch mid-day and then back in the evening when it is "cool". Or I go out when I get home from work at 2300. It was 81 degrees with a heat index of 87 at 0100. Ok, so I was out watering at least it was cool!!
    Tally HO!

• stitches216
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm going out early tomorrow. I might try "night gardening" tomorrow too, like between 2030 and 2200. Gotta deal with the skeeters first tho!

• beachplant
    17 years ago

Off is your friend. I have cans of it everywhere. Got bit by a few of those heathen females walking in to work tonigh!
    I'm thinking of putting in more white plants for this night gardening thing, the brugs are blooming so it smells good.
    Tally HO!