Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wilo_gw

can scorpions swim???

wilo
17 years ago

cuz there's one hanging out on the bottom step of the pool. . . IN the water. Just sitting there waiting for me to get back in so it can attack.

funny thing. . . . five minutes ago when I got OUT of the pool, I would swear it was NOT there.

They move faster than you realize.

I think I'll name him "Mark Spitz" . . . .

Comments (18)

• wilo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

{{gwi:1312397}}

{{gwi:1312398}}

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

I don't know if they can swim but they can live underwater for long periods of time.
    He was probaly under your towel or shoes or something.
    When we lived out in your direction years ago I never picked anything up that I didn't check it out first, lol
    but I'm a wimp when it come to those darn things.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Remember a scorpion's favorite food is cockroaches! PJ

• wilo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

They are worse this year. I check my shoes before I put them on and stuff like that, but now I'm getting downright paranoid. I mean Sunday evening, one was on the sofa with me!!! And now this one stalking me in the pool????

Maybe I should feel flattered. . . my astrological sign is Scorpio. . . maybe these are kin. . . . .

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

EEWW, you can forget Monday, I'm not going anywhere with Scorpion kin, lol
    Ours are actually better this year, hope I'm not jinxing anything

• wilo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

wow, I feel like I've got cooties or something.

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Hehehehe, you don't have cooties

• PKponder TX Z7B
    17 years ago

That scorpion just freaks me out. Wilo, have you been bitten yet?

• Jacquelyn8b
    17 years ago

I knew they could get in the septic system and do just fine but IN-THE-POOL!!! That's going tooooo far. color>

Ours are better than 2000 & 2001 but worse than the years since. We tried to watch a DVD Tuesday night and 3 of those demons came out from under the couch before the show was over. (shiver) I hate those things!

• terryisthinking
    17 years ago

I haven't seen a scorpion in the pool, but black widow spiders just love it. Every year, I have to do battle with them living up under the skimmer opening, and under a rock in our waterfall. eeeeeshh shuuddder.

I'd look for the babies.

On the lighter side, barnswallows divebomb my pool, even when I am trying to do my laps. unnnerving.

• wilo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Pkponder, I have never been bitten. . . but I have nearly had a heart attack running from them.

jacquelyn8b, where do you live? I'd give up tv!

txgardenlady, black widow spiders? BLACK WIDOW SPIDERS????

(wilo faints dead away)

• Dena Walters
    17 years ago

omg!!!!...
    Yep them things scare me as much as snakes...My parents live in Nacogdoches..and I had never seen one until then...
    My DBNL grabbed a shirt one day and it stung him on the thumb...
    He descirbed it as a major burn...but...he was "tough"..LOL..he did say he lost feeling in his hand for a couple of days and his hand did swell... but then it was all better..then he said it was like a bee sting..it was 'nothing'..LOL..after the fact!!!
    Watch out for them things....ohh heck..I run from snakes...and scorpions! They both skeer the bejebies outa me!!!
    Dena

• rick_mcdaniel
    16 years ago

News to me.....but then ya don't usually have much water, in their favorite haunts.

Looks like the chlorine would get him, though.

• denisew
    16 years ago

So, they like cockroaches? I don't have a cockroach problem, so maybe I have scorpions and didn't know it . . . LOL

• justintx
    16 years ago

Imagine my horror when my then 9 year old daughter comes in the house on one snowy day in Big Spring, TX holding a scorpion by the tail. She had been playing in the snow and turned a board over. The scorpion was 'frozen' with tail up. She thought it was dead. We put it in a jar, the thing thawed out and was quite alive. uh,,,,,,,, it didn't get to find anymore cockroaches.
    ; - )

Rolled over on one in bed one night - that is one strong little bug. It threw a 260 lb man right out of that bed.

J.D.

• toadlilly
    16 years ago

We had quite a few when we moved in, my neighbor warned me they were in the area-they come in her air vents, and can walk on the ceiling. Yuck-

• beachplant
    11 years ago

hate those things! I`ve been stung by a lot of things and those are the WORST. Chickens eat them.
    Tally HO!

• linda_tx8
    11 years ago

Oh...so THAT'S why we have seen so few scorpions around this year? We now have feral chickens hanging around the property. They really like to eat the birdseed! I've been stung by scorpions quite a few times since we lived here. It's just temporary pain, as I reminded myself ever time it happened! Just have to tough it out.