Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beachplant

I can fly! I can fly!

beachplant
17 years ago

Of course, it's really the three million mosquitoes hanging off me that do the actual flying.

Out of desperation, the front door appears to be moving from the skeeters hanging out there, I went in search of that yard fogger stuff today. Man, I wish I owned stock in those companies! Off and other repellents are mighty scarce in these here parts. I found yard guard and even though I don't normally use any pesticides I'm after them varmits.

When I walk the dogs I look like a crazy woman flapping my arms around & yelling. Trying to get the gate open I've swallowed several, extra protein I guess.

Tried the vanilla stuff, that just attracted more. I've put mosquito dunks in all the ponds, change the bird baths every day, cleaned out gutters, stalked the yard looking for standing water... The "favorite" neihbors have a leak at their water meter and a small pond has formed in the alley, it is a total breeding ground!! I put dunks in it but they just get splashed out. The city came by today and drained it, an hour later it was baaack.

Please donate blood today, especially if you are A+, I'm gonna need a few pints by the time I get to my truck tonight.

Tally HO and away I fly!! Usually I go by broom, it's less itchy!

Comments (7)

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

HAHAHA, Tally, I'm A+, just holler if you need it, I don't think I have a few pints to spare, lol.
    So why didn't the city fix the darn thing when they had it pumped out?

• little_dani
    17 years ago

I too, am A+. I will share if you need it.

Since you (we, too) have sunk so low as to desire chemicals, I will tell you what I have learned.

There is a chemical at WM, goes by the name of Triazicide. It comes in about a quart bottle, and you put a small amount (with enough water to fill) in a sprayer that you attach to your garden hose. Then spray your flowerbeds, grass, everywhere the horrid beasties hide. They will DIE and stay dead for days and days!

We wait until the butterflies have time to warm up to 77 degrees so they can fly before we spray. They can escape then and I still have a LOT of b'flies.

I don't like to use chemicals either, but DH is allergic to mosquito bites. He swells up like a pack of yellow jackets have been after him. Plus, my dogs and cats can't even go outside, the skeeters are so bad.

You can put some vegetable oil on the neighbors little pool, and the skeeters will not breed there. Cheaper than donuts.

Good Luck

Janie

• janet_w
    17 years ago

Hey Tally,
    I'm A+ also but I'm sure you want need it. . Here's some information on. Repelling Mosquitoes Naturally
    http://www.stretcher.com/stories/04/04apr19c.cfm

Mosquito Attractants
    Use this list of items and activities that attract mosquitoes as a list of things to avoid or that can be used as bait to lure mosquitoes away from you.
    Âh Dark Clothing
    Many mosquitoes use vision to locate hosts from a distance. Dark clothes and foliage are initial attractants.
    Âh Carbon Dioxide
    You give off more carbon dioxide when you are hot or have been exercising. A burning candle or other fire is another source of carbon dioxide.
    Âh Lactic Acid
    You release more lactic acid when you have been exercising or after eating certain foods (e.g., salty foods, high-potassium foods).
    Âh Floral or Fruity Fragrances
    In addition to perfumes, hair products, and scented sunscreens, watch for the subtle floral fragrance from fabric softeners and dryer sheets.
    Âh Skin Temperature
    The exact temperature depends on the type of mosquito. Many mosquitoes are attracted to the slightly cooler temperatures of the extremities.
    Âh Moisture
    Mosquitoes are attracted by perspiration because of the chemicals it contains and also because it increases the humidity around your body. Even small amounts of water (e.g., moist plants or mud puddles) will draw mosquitoes. Standing water also allows mosquitoes to reproduce.

Natural Repellents
    These natural products will effectively repel mosquitoes, but they require more frequent reapplication (at least every 2 hours) and higher concentrations than DEET. Because of the differences between types of mosquitoes, products that contain multiple repellents tend to be more effective than those containing a single ingredient. As you can see, natural repellents tend to be volatile plant oils.
    Âh Citronella Oil
    Âh Castor Oil
    Âh Rosemary Oil
    Âh Lemongrass Oil
    Âh Cedar Oil
    Âh Peppermint Oil
    Âh Clove Oil
    Âh Geranium Oil
    Âh Possibly Oils from Verbena, Pennyroyal, Lavender, Pine, Cajeput, Cinnamon, Basil, Thyme, Allspice, Soybean, and Garlic
    Another plant-derived substance, pyrethrum, is an insecticide. Pyrethrum comes from the flowers of the daisy Chrysanthemum cinerariifolium.
    Things that Lower Repellent Effectiveness
    Âh Many Sunscreens
    Âh Dilution from Rain, Perspiration, or Swimming
    Âh Absorption into the Skin
    Âh Evaporation from Wind or High Temperatures
    Keep in mind that 'natural' does not automatically imply 'safe'. Many people are sensitive to plant oils. Some natural insect repellents are actually toxic. Therefore, although natural repellents provide an alternative to synthetic chemicals, please remember to follow the manufacturer's instructions when using these products.

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

If you aren't concerned about your social quotient, the Seminole have used fish oil as an effective repellent for a long time. (smile)

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

They are bad here, but not that bad!

Where were all you A+ people when I was in surgery?

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Off makes a plant based repellent. Works pretty good. I'm also candy to bugs. They love me.PJ

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

LOL Tally, you're too funny.

I'm a skitter magnet but they don't bother my DH nearly as much. We always use a spray that keeps them out of the yard for 6 weeks. I forget the name. I hate to use chemicals too but my Grandaughter has a bad reaction to all kinds of insect bites.

Don't fly too close to the sun Tally or your wings might melt. lol