Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zitro_joe

Spider identification

zitro_joe
16 years ago

Okay last time I found a Milipede in the laudry, now this.

I think this might be a female Wolf Spider that just hatched her sack. Picture is linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (18)

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

Yep it's a Wolf Spider and the babies ride on her for a while and that is creepy

• PKponder TX Z7B
    16 years ago

That just gives me creepy crawlies. I hope you were able to get rid of it, Joe.

• bo_berrin
    16 years ago

---full body freak out--- When I saw the picture, I closed the whole window accidentally, and had to come back to say EWWW! I hope you killed them ALL, or that one that got away could turn up annnyyyywhheerrrreee...

I know I'm not supposed to hate spiders, and that they're beneficial, but not in the house, and NOT in a baby's laundry.

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

Send her to my house! I LOVE Wolf spiders. They eat and eat and are fuzzy and cute! Here's my favorite all time spider(right now at least)It's a jumping spider. They are all black and fuzzy with bright,bright green "fangs"(just for show for the girls...it's a coloration on the face) They'll hop around and watch you!The common name is cute too. Spidey is called a Daring Jumping spider. PJ

Here is a link that might be useful:

• prairiepaintbrush
    16 years ago

Cool spider, Joe!!! Don't kill them, put them outside if you don't want them inside. But if they are inside, they must be eating something - and what they are eating are bugs you prolly don't want!

• zitro_joe
    Original Author
    16 years ago

1 spider is fine... 300 of them is another story.

• bo_berrin
    16 years ago

PJ & PPB, I truly admire your nerves of steel and love for all little creatures. Someday, I'll get there because I'm really trying. Wolf spiders will be my last frontier to conquer, though--those are my worst fear of all. They're so--well, big and SPINDLY. (((shudder))) I'm less afraid of tarantulas and brown recluse spiders than the dreaded (practically harmless) wolf spider. It's a true phobia--an irrational fear. I've gotten to where I can watch the little fuzzy black jumping spiders for a while before walking away. They're the teddy bear of the spider family. :-)

Zitro Joe--300 wolf spiders is what my nightmares are made of! I can't imagine how you were daring enough to grab the camera and get so close!!!

• zitro_joe
    Original Author
    16 years ago

BO - ZOOOM LENS!

• rick_mcdaniel
    16 years ago

Yeah, I hate it when they get in the house. They go everywhere, when you get the momma. Had 'em twice, inside, and was very busy for a few minutes, getting them all.

• remuda1
    16 years ago

I like spiders too. Last summer, I enjoyed watching a resident black widow consume LOTS of grass hoppers. I *almost* could have kissed her ;)! This year, I have a mystery spider. Here's her/his house but it scurries back in when I try to take a peek. It's VERY large. Any ideas?
    {{gwi:1312454}}
    {{gwi:1312456}}

Joe, I gotta agree with you though.....outside the house = good, inside the house = not so good!

Kristi

• denisew
    16 years ago

I just hope you were able to get her and the babies outside as safely as possible. When I find spiders in the house, I get out the plastic cups and a piece of paper to scoop them up to release outside into the garden. If I found what you found, I would have taken out the entire load of laundry and gently shook them off into the garden.

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

Kristi, I'm guessing it is a trap door spider

Here is a link that might be useful: trap door spider

• PKponder TX Z7B
    16 years ago

My cat was bitten by a wolf spider a couple years ago, apparently she was provoking the spidey! Her leg was so swollen, we thought it was broken and rushed her to the vet...the bite (fang) marks were at least 1/2 inch wide(between the punctures). She was fine and got better with the oral antibiotics. I just cannot stand them in the house!!!!

Pam

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

I put spiders that have any size to them outside too. I had a black widow(hourglass and all) wipe out roaches in my garage. I loved her. Her "fishing line" had about 10 of the roachies dead stung along it. I thankfully no longer have roaches because of my gecko/spider population!
    Bo, everybody has SOMETHING that just freaks them out. For me it's roaches. Holy cow. Gimme a room full of spiders over a single roach. It was so hard not to bust out the poison. I HATE those things!!! Roaches make my skin crawl.PJ

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Mine, too, PJ.

• beachplant
    16 years ago

I used to keep a tarantula next to my computer. She was so cute! Had to find her a new home when I went to Alaska.
    It's considered bad luck to kill a spider in the house. I like spiders myself, anything that eats bugs. Though my hubby got bit by a brown recluse and it was pretty bad. Luckily he married a nurse and I took care of it!
    Tally HO!

• zitro_joe
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have a colony of the mediterranean geckos in the garage as well, they keep the bug very low here. Kind of impressive considering the west side of my house 150 acres of untouched land lined by a river.

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

My selfish DH wont let me get a tarantula. He says they're ugly,hairy things that look mean. *pout* PJ