Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honeybunny2_gw

What are your feelings on total knee replacement?

honeybunny2 Fox
16 years ago

I was told I need to have my knees replaced, and wanted to know if anyone has had this done, if so would they do it again? Barbra,

Comments (31)

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

I've known a couple athletes (runners,football and Martial Arts) that had it done and they were happy with it. PJ

• Dena Walters
    16 years ago

well Ive never had it done, but I work in medical insurance and get very close to alot of our members..one just had it done due to authoritis..and he is sooooo happy!!! Just work hard during rehab and even when you are at home.
    Good Luck!
    Dena

• sylviatexas1
    16 years ago

People I've talked to have been happy with the end result, but it's major surgery, so I'd get at least a 2nd opinion & find out what other options I could try first.

Best luck!

• sienna_98
    16 years ago

I have a friend who had both knees done and she's very happy with the end result, but I also have an uncle who had it done and unfortunately due to complications he was unable to properly do the rehab afterward and now he's in worse pain than before.

Definitely get a 2nd opinion.

• pris
    16 years ago

I had knee replacement surgery in 2004. I have RA, albeit slow acting. I had it as a child and it returned in my mid twenties. Both knees are affected. Shortly before surgery exrays showed minimal cartiledge in both knees. Due to a fall, cartliledge in my left knee was torn and very quickly disappeared. I had replacement surgery on that knee. Immediately after surgery the RA became extremely active and affected all the joints in my body. I had never had this happen before. It has taken all this time to get it under control and is just now getting back to the periodic joint pain I had prior to the operation. So, to make a long story short, I will probably not have replacement surgery on the right knee unless it gets to the point that I cannot bear it. I know the doctors will say that this is just a coinsidence but I firmly believe the surgery triggered the RA into becoming overly active. If joint replacement is due to injury to the joint or to another form of arthritis then that is another story, but, if you have RA do your homework and talk to others that have your particular set of circumstances.

You can never have too much information and if you choose to do this, be aware that there is a lot of physical therapy involved that determines how successful the surgery will be. Most of the people I have talked to that had problems with the replacement also did not do the therapy as directed. (the replacement knee in my case has never been a problem. There are a few things I cannot do such as get down on my hands & knees and crawl around on the floor but I probably could not do that at my age now anyway.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Pat

• rick_mcdaniel
    16 years ago

Have a friend who had that done, but I haven't. He seems to be doing fairly ok with it.

• beachplant
    16 years ago

OR nurse here, ortho clinic, pain clinic experience. Neighbor had both replaced, friends mom both replaced, other neighbor 1 replaced, co-worker 2 replacements. Not an unhappy person in the bunch. Only seen a couple that had problems, infection or failure of the prosthesis. And I've been doing them for the better part of 27 years. It just depends on how bad your knees hurt and how much you don't want them too. I would highly recommend it, I'll probably need mine done in a few years. There are really cool new prosthesis out that have fewer complications than the old ones.

Yes, it may have been the surgery that caused RA to flare up. Some studies show certain drugs used in the OR, stress or other factors can cause a flare-up. Rare but it can happen.

The patients compliance with rehab seems to have the most impact on their final outcome.
    Good luck! Let us know when you go in, we'll come and uh, water, yeah, water your garden for you!

Tally HO!

• vannie
    16 years ago

I have a SIL that had both done--at the same time! I know there are advantages to this, but it looks like you need one good leg to stand on! Her doc wouldn't do it any other way. She's done well.

• bo_berrin
    16 years ago

My aunt hobbled around for about a year before having it done--could hardly get into and out of a car, and limped around with a cane. Now she has a brand new knee, and she's SO happy with it!

Research your doctor and get the best team you can get. Keep us posted. :-)

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I want to thank everyone for all the wonderful postings, I am not scared, like I was last week. I know I have no other option. I have to go back in 2 months, but have decided that I would try and wait to have surgery next year. Next month they will do surgery on my right hand again, and three of my fingers. Boy, getting old sucks. Barbra,

• tess_tx
    16 years ago

My mom had both knees replaced, at the same time, about 3 years ago. She's doing great and doesn't regret her choice at all, she's able to be much more active than she had been before the replacement.

I'm 37 and have already been told that I need to replace my right knee but since a replacement only lasts about 10 years both my Dr and I agree that waiting as long as possible is my best bet. I'm still pretty active but I've found that keeping my weight slightly under average and my thigh muscles as toned as I can I do pretty ok.

One thing that I would suggest to ANYONE with chronic pain and swelling is a constant cold machine. It's basically an igloo cooler with a hose attached to a wrap thing. It's AWESOME! I had one supplied by the surgery center after my knee surgery and finally decided to buy my own a few months ago. They aren't cheap but it's what allows me to spend a day gardening or hiking or basically living without having to pay too high of a toll later. I included a link to the kind I bought but there are several that are essentially the same and some much cheaper.

Here is a link that might be useful: Iceman

• olphart
    16 years ago

My sister just had both knees done at the same time. She doesnÂt regret it one bit.

I had also heard that replacements donÂt last but 15 years or so, but my sister said that was not the case anymore, that they should last forever. You may want to verify that, though.

Sister could not leave the house for a month, and it was probably two months before she could get around fully on her own, including driving. However, she was near the point of being totally crippled before the surgery, so she is way ahead of the game.

The only complaint I have ever heard from anyone who got a knee replacement was the same  "Why didnÂt I do this sooner???"

• Bev__
    16 years ago

Ditto on the constant cold machine....it's wonderful, also check into gell packs, I have a good supplier I use. Need to find the addrress if anyone is interested.
    I haven't had knee replacement, but have had ankle joint replacements that would have been great if I didn't reject the prothisis the first 2 surgeries. One was plastic like and one was metal and turned out I was allergic to both. Now I have a cadaver ankle & achilles tendon. It's working, but I still have a lot of pain and swelling and it's been over a year. My next option is to have my leg & foot fused, so I'll suffer as long as I can.
    I've only heard good comments from everyone I know that has had knee replacements, except from an overweight girlfriend who is still getting bigger, her weight is the problem, she is very obese.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    16 years ago

I hardly ever come to the conversations page, but I'm glad I saw this. My right knee has been a weak since it went into the dashboard in an auto accident 30 years ago. Occasionally it would swell so much I could hardly walk. Other joints would become tender also.

Then I found out I am among the 30 to 40 percent of the people who are sensitive to foods of the nightshade family; tomatoes, peppers, potatoes and egg plant. I LOVE all of those foods, but eating them, especially hot peppers, cause my knee to become swollen and tender a couple of days later.

I have asked friends who had joint problems if their doctor had ever mentioned this reaction some people have to those foods and none of them had ever heard mention of it.

By not eating those foods the knee's problem have been manageable up until sometime last year. It was then that I ate Thai food served at a retreat (hot peppers!) and ran across the street when the knee tissues were starting to swell -- injuring the cartilage I suspect.

I have an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon in a couple of weeks. My primary care physician thought injections of a derivative of rooster comb as a cushion for the joint might be an option to try before surgery. Anyone here have experience or knowledge of this treatment?

Perhaps there will be a knee replacement in the future so I appreciate the encouraging remarks in this thread. Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: About Viscosupplementation

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    16 years ago

I should have said 30 to 40 percent of the people WITH joint problems are sensitive to foods of the nightshade family according to alternative medical health researchers.

• beachplant
    16 years ago

Let us know how you do, you know if nothing else we are a very good support team and will do anything we can to help. PJ will take you running, I'll give you medications, we'll all give advice and fight over how to take care of the plants.
    Tally HO!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    16 years ago

I will and that you are! :-)

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

It's too hot to run! Take a nice cool shower instead. LOL! I'd hand out meds but I'm not only not licenced, I'd get them mixed up...very bad dyslexic nursing. PJ

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Roselee, I have had the rooster comb injections a few years back, and they have worked well so far. Eventually, something else will have to be done, but so far, this has bought me some time. I took 3 injections one week apart.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    16 years ago

Thank you Carrie! That's very nice to know. I realize it's not a cure-all, but like you say it might buy some time.

Yeah PJ ... I had a year to go to get an RN degree when I married Bob, but it is probably a good thing I am not a nurse with my having dyslexic tendencies ... oh well; I can do a pretty good job of picking out thorns with 'square pointed' needles -- so Bob says. LOL

Thank you all for your replies in this thread.

• pricklypearsatx
    16 years ago

I've known people who have had one knee done, then shortly after, needed the other knee done. This was due to compensating on the good knee during rehab.

Do what you can to find out all you can about rehab options before having the surgery done. It will make all the difference!!

• red_geranium
    16 years ago

My mother had a knee replacement @ 70 and a very fast recovery--it was amazing. She was able to golf, etc. soon after. Known plenty of others with same wonderful results. However, her's was one of the earliest knees and had a plastic part that broke almost exactly 10 yrs later and the entire knee had to be replaced. She was in her mid 80's then and trying to fight off cancer but survived the operation and was able to walk. I would say, be sure to get the latest knee with the longest "warranty" and a guarantee that a broken part will be available so the entire knee will not need to be replaced, if need be.

• red_geranium
    16 years ago

addendum: If it was me (and it probably will be....soon), I would try to buy duplicate knees and keep them in storage somehow just as the manufacturer does, on a shelf. Sounds like a joke but I am serious. The doctor was not able to locate a duplicate knee or parts and the operation for a total replacement was way too lengthy for someone ill and in their 80's. Ah, the mechanics and technology of medicine now-a-days.......may be we should go back to shamans and healers, hot stones and smoke....and still live well into our 90's!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    16 years ago

That is certainly something to consider Red Geranium. You'd think the manufacturer would have kept some parts on hand. They do for automobiles. Anyway I'm glad your Mom is able to walk. My Mom had a hip surgery in her 80's. It's amazing how the human body can endure surgery and other medical procedures as well as amazing what medical science can do. But yes, a good healer with the even more amazing faith and grace is much more gentle.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    16 years ago

This is an update on the knee since I said I would and it might help someone else to know what the procedure may be before knee replacement.

The orthopedic surgeon didn't think Synvisc or chicken comb would work because there was bone on bone contact on the outside portion of the knee in the xrays, plus "ligamentously lax and lateral subluxation of the tibia and the serosnguinous fluid." He removed 40 cc of fluid from around the knee with a syringe and injected cortisone. (It didn't hurt) He said if the cortisone worked then Synvisc might work also.

I don't know how well cortisone is supposed to work, but WOW .. the knee sure feels a LOT better! I am taking it easy on the knee anyway -- don't want to do any more damage. The anti-inflammatory effect of the cortisone is temporary as you all probably know. I go back in four months.

So that's it for now.

• seamommy
    16 years ago

The newest info on knee replacements for women is that there is now an artificial joint sized smaller than the old ones. My mom had a knee replaced a couple years ago and she has unbearable pain, is barely able to walk and and she can't bend it at all. It is obvious to everyone who sees her left knee that it is way, way too big for her small frame. It is larger around the circumference of her knee than the top of her thigh. It looks horrible, is discolored and painful all the time. She went through several courses of therapy to try to improve the muscle tone in her leg following the surgery, but nothing helped. Now she is 82 and afraid to try again. She can barely garden because of this, and is unsteady on her feet.

All I can say is, make sure that before you have it done make sure that your doctor is aware of the 'female' sized replacement knees available on the market now and that you get one that is properly matched to your body build.

Cheryl

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    15 years ago

Well, I did it! Or rather my orthopedic surgeon did. Dr. Pontius gave me a total knee replacement almost five weeks ago.

After spending five days in the hospital I came home to the excellent care of my hubby, Bob, instead of going to a rehab facility. The after care provided was very complete and well organized, and I'm told is cheaper for the insurance company than going to rehab. I had RNs, LVNs, a caregiver that helped me shower, and physical therapists in and out of our home almost daily. While there is a lot of discomfort the first two or three weeks round the clock pain meds are provided to take the edge off. Interestingly the anesthesiologist gives you something like a massive novicain injection in the thigh area before surgery (you are 'out' when he does it) which totally negates any severe pain. It lasts for several days allowing you to start physical therapy by walking around your hospital room the day after surgery.

I am now walking without a walker or a cane (not very fast, but I'm walking) and I even went outside to water the plants yesterday, as well as going to Olive Garden for lunch with Bob and visiting my daughter where she works.

Yes, there is a lot of exercises that must be done a couple of times daily. Some I do almost continually such as scrunching the knee cap muscles while sitting in a recliner as well as moving both legs around and working the feet up and down. At first the therapy is not easy and you think you are never going to be able to extend the knee, but it's amazing how quickly you find that movment works through and lessens the stiffness and soreness. I'm still taking pain meds, but am going longer between doses.

A couple of tips I can think of right now: Be sure you get the same pain meds that were working well for you in the hospital. My prescription was initially filled with a generic and it was not the same!

I had the ice machine at the hospital and it was wonderful, but one of those pleated ice bags works very well also. We went through a lot of bags of crushed ice before I thought of using a mini ice chest to keep the it in between uses. My drinking water bottle was kept cool in it as well.

Elastic compression hose work great to keep the swelling down. I'm still wearing it in the daytime. You may be able to bring them home from the hospital, but if not buy some.

Well, that's about it. So far so good. Of course there are certain risks with any major surgery. If the rare complication occurs recovery might take a little longer, but they are taken care of. Whatever, the modern miracle of knee replacement sure beats the alternative of limping around with knee braces and a cane or walker the rest of your life.

Happy gardening everybody!

• bobbi_p
    15 years ago

Congratulations! Bet you're glad to have that behind you. My MIL went through a hip replacement about a year ago at the fairly young age of 64. It did take about 3 days before she'd admit the pain was worth the surgery though!

Good luck on your continued progress!

Bobbi P

• carrie751
    15 years ago

Way to go, Roselee .... so glad you are doing so well and so pleased with the outcome. Getting back in your garden will be the best therapy of all....!!!!

• liz_h
    15 years ago

Roselee, so glad to read you're doing well. It sounds like you're doing everything right to ensure a good outcome.

This is just a note for others. I tore my knees up in an auto accident, and went through rehab with a woman who had both knees replaced. Her doc gave her the choice of doing the surgeries together or separate. She was so glad she had chosen to do both knees at the same time - she didn't want to have to go through the rehab twice!

30 years post accident, one of my knees was giving me a huge amount of pain. I finally realized that my custom orthotics were badly worn out, and not correcting my foot posture. This was placing a lot of stress on the knees and hips. I got the new orthotics, and went in for a cortisone shot shortly afterwards. I was told I probably wouldn't need more cortisone shots as long as I keep my orthotics in good shape.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    15 years ago

Thanks Bobbi, Carrie, and Liz!

Liz, you bring up a good point about orthotics. For years after the auto accident where the right knee went into the dash I noticed that the heels on the right shoe wore out more on one side. While walking up to a glass door that served as a mirror I also noticed that there was a little difference in the gait with the right leg. The PT noticed I still had a tendency to swing out that leg while doing the therapy. This probably was a big factor in the cartilage wearing out on that side. So using a shoe insert years ago might have prevented the wear. Now I'm working hard to correct that gait and Bob, my constant and welcome coach ("straighten that foot, bend the knee, don't limp, etc. etc." :-), says that I'm overcoming it.

Anyway, it's amazing much the shoe inserts do help. A friend who walks for exercise was having pain in her knees, but with a simple cushioned insert in her walking shoes the pain ceased. Some people might need a custom made foot support.

Here is a link that might be useful: About orthotics ...