Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikeandbarb_gw

warning please read

mikeandbarb
16 years ago

Hi All, I'm here to tell you all and warn y'all about debt card theft. We have been a victim of our debt card stolen through the Internet even though or computer has all the protection that is out there but someone somehow got our debt card number and charged $9.85. First thing I did was call the bank to let them know that I nor my husband had made a purchase from this company out in Ca.

The bank told me that I had to wait till it went through so after waiting over the weekend it went through and I called the bank again. The person at the bank told me I had to call the phone number to this company and ask them about the charge. So complied and called the company and all I got was and answering machine telling to leave my name and what the call was for.

Well, I can tell you I did not like this one bit. So I called the bank back and this time the person closed my debt card account.

Now I'm thinking of not having a debt card at all just use cash and checks.

My thinking is what if this had been a large amount of money and made the checks I sent payments out to bounce think of the mess I'd would have had.

Comments (7)

• trsinc
    16 years ago

Exactly!!! I can't tell you how many times this happens. I used to work at a credit union and every single day, someone came in with an identity theft problem. Were some of them lying? I think so. But the majority were not, in my opinion and research. This is far more widespread than people realize. We do not have a debit card. We used to have an ATM card, but our credit union changed it so that it was debit only, so we canceled it. We handle everything with checks and credit cards. But, I worry about the day when this will not be enough.

So sorry about your trouble. You really have to keep an eye out. Glad you did!

• new_in_texas
    16 years ago

We got dinged a few weeks ago for $900!
    The stupidheads probably would've gotten away with it for a bit longer but they overdrafted us, it was a google check out purchase for cell phone(s).

It got sorted out about a week later, but it was still effin annoying, hubs had to get a new card & we had to borrow money from his parents since the bank wouldn't reverse it until they 'investigated'.

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

EEEKKK! This is really cruddy. What a mess. Maybe I shouldn't buy anything over the internet! Grrr... Will that help?PJ

• mikeandbarb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

PJ, It can happen online and off line. It happened to my sister once with her credit card at a shoe store the lady that worked there took her credit card number and used it for purchases on the phone and rented a hotel for a week or better.
    The lady was arrested but it was an awful headache not to mention the stress.

OMG, NIT that would have put our account into a tail spin for sure. Glad it is getting worked out.

This company that did it to us is an advertising company.

I'm getting weird 800 number calls asking if I had signed up for something that I have not signed up for.
    Hope this isn't a scam and I find a big charge on my cell phone, I also get 800 calls with no one on the another end but I get a beeping sound. Anyone have that happen?

Remember our grandparents saying they wish it was like it was in the old days, Now I know just how they feel :(

I miss the peace we use to have. No problems or if you had one it was looked into and solved right away.

I'm fighting our insurance to pay the doctor for the past two years. It's to long to go into but I've been fighting them for a year and a half. Maybe I need your prayers to end this mess?

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

I hear you!! Yeah, they can steal a check number too and use it. It's less common tho. I get wierd 800 numbers ALL DARN DAY LONG!!!! Yeah, I've picked up to demand they stop calling(5 others just take their place anyway)and have gotten wierd beeps and clicks.
    I'd have been mighty tempted to kick the shoe lady's butt!! How stupid! How did she even think this might work? They can trace the numbers right back to the store! PJ

• rick_mcdaniel
    16 years ago

I will not have a debit card.

I will not have an ATM card.

I do have a credit card (just 1).

I am extremely careful where I use the credit card.

The most common place where your credit card numbers are stolen, is in restaurants, because you are not watching the wait person, while they have your card. If anyone accepts your card, and then leaves your presence, while having the card in their possession, you should report that to management, as there is a high probability of card number theft.

I never use a credit card in a restaurant, where the card is not presented at a cash register, by me. If the wait person takes the check payment, I always use cash.

You can't really prevent this problem, but you can certainly make it a lot harder for the thieves.

I observe careless people all the time.....receipts left dangling in gas stations, carbons left behind at businesses, etc.

Heck, I observe women leaving their purses in the shopping cart at grocery stores, every time I go in. That's one of the most likely ways of having a purse stolen. Also, employees at many types of retail businesses, are not provided with lockers for their purses, and stolen purses are a common problem in such locations.

Here in the office, even though some floors do not have public traffic, others do, and purses left unattended at desks are a common problem. Years ago, someone slipped into a company office where I worked, and stole the CEO's purse, because the receptionist was away from her desk, and the CEO's office was next in line, and no one was around. The purse was sitting in plain view.

These things happen all the time. Security is something you must always be thinking about, in this rather nasty world the human animal has created.

Technology has its pluses and minuses, and you gotta make an effort to keep the minuses from becoming Gotchas!

• denisew
    16 years ago

My husband has told me that if I ever purchase anything over the internet to make sure the screen goes to a https:// - a secure server - before entering any credit card information. I rarely shop the internet, but when I do it is only with reputable companies.

There was a thread under the Texas Gardening forum talking about this great place to buy irises and when I checked it out and got an order started, they were asking me to e-mail my credit card information! There was no way I was going to order from them - no matter how good those irises looked or how cheap they were. E-mailing credit card information is the worst thing anyone could do because it is not secure at all.

Rick - that is good advice. Thanks for sharing those tips.