Butterfly, caterpillar and crysalis pics

prairiepaintbrush
16 years ago

Just found a site with some good pictures

Here is a link that might be useful: butterfly etc. pics

Comments (7)

• scuba-gal
    16 years ago

cool site- i have Eastern Black Swallowtail cats all over my dill every year - but have never been able to find one of their cocoons

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Very cool site, PPB, thanks for posting it.

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

Prarie,I have the a black caterpillar version of black swallowtails on my black fennel(below). I also have the lighter colored cats on the fennel too(the ones on the butterfly link you posted). I wonder if the black cats are the darker butterflies? PJ

Here is a link that might be useful:

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

Great site, thanks
    PJ, they start of darker

Here is a link that might be useful: cats

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

Thanks Jolana! Very good. I've had a lot of larve since I first started growing parsley then fennel. Now they only want the fennel! (Picky brats) Actually the fennel,unlike the parsley, is in a location away from where there would be predators. It's at the end of a bed that's in a hell strip made entirely of herbs. It's surrounded by a strip of cement on two sides and brick on the back. The parsley is in the thick of the plants. PJ

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

Thanks Jolana! Very good. I've had a lot of larve since I first started growing parsley then fennel. Now they only want the fennel! (Picky brats) Actually the fennel,unlike the parsley, is in a location away from where there would be predators. It's at the end of a bed that's in a hell strip made entirely of herbs. It's surrounded by a strip of cement on two sides and brick on the back. The parsley is in the thick of the regular plants. I know there are predator bugs in that area.PJ

• prairiepaintbrush
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It's so cool you have cat collections! I saw one at the botanic gardens and it had pretty much devistated a large parsley plant. For some reason, most of the parsley looked worse than the fennel. Some years, I have TONS of giant swallowtail on my lantana. They're so cool.