Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
necia_gw

Shopping - Home Goods store

necia
16 years ago

I have found what looks like a really neat store to shop at from their website. It looks like there is a Home Goods store in Highland Park and in Irving. Has anyone ever shopped at either of these stores? I am wondering if the prices are as good as at TJ Maxx, Marshall's, etc. or are the prices more like you would find at Dillard's. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Necia

Comments (10)

• rick_mcdaniel
    16 years ago

You talking the new store run by TJMaxx?

So-so.

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

Never heard of it. PJ

• carrie751
    16 years ago

PJ, I think you and I need to get out more - I never heard of it either.

• rick_mcdaniel
    16 years ago

Carrie, there's one over at 2499 and 407, near you. It is really just a side by side with TJ Maxx, but it has its own sign, and you can go through from one side to the other.

They have some things that are nice, but they also have plenty of "made in China" junk stuff.

• necia
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Rick, Thanks! Yes, it is owned by TJ Maxx. I don't get to shop in the DFW area very often but I really love finding bargains at TJ Maxx. We have a Ross store here and sometimes I find neat things for the home and garden, but not often. I saw the Home Goods store's website and checked out the blogs of the women who shop there. They had a picture of some beautiful Italian style dishes that I would like to have.

We will be staying in Irving and it looks like there is a Home Goods in MacArthur Park, so I am going to try to talk DH into taking me. The other, on 407 does sound tempting with the TJ Maxx just next door! Maybe the one in Irving has a TJ Maxx close by, too.

Thanks again,
    Necia

• rick_mcdaniel
    16 years ago

Necia, it probably will be together with a TJ store. They changed their concept from a small in-store department, to a side-by-side store, partly to counter Wally Mart's newer "upscale" (by 10% at most), stores.

For me, I find most retail totally boring, as one is pretty much a carbon copy of the other, to the extent that I can find exactly the same goods in almost all of them.

These days, I seek out the sources for things that are different and quality, which leaves the department and discount stores out in the cold. The internet has way more to offer, even if I have to order direct from the manufacturer.

You can find some Doulton and similar ware, in Home Store, but mostly seconds (Doulton seconds are marked by a scratch through the backstamp), while the majority of the goods are China/Italy/Poland, etc. and of lower quality.

You will not find high quality ware, such as Hutchenreuther, Pickard, and the like, there. (You might not want to pay for it, if you did.)

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Thanks, Rick !!!!

• necia
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow Rick, you really know your dishes! I hope to one day have as much knowledge. (And the $ to buy the nice stuff!)

I did find out that there is a TJ Maxx store next door to the Home Goods that I plan to visit. I can give a shopping report when I get back if anyone is interested.

I am also wanting to stop by one of the World Market stores just to pick up a supply of sugar-free coffee flavors. They are $3.00 more a bottle here in my little town!

Thanks again, Rick!

Necia

• rick_mcdaniel
    16 years ago

World market used to carry Swedish Ligonberries, but alas, no more.

I am an afficionado of fine porcelains, art glass, and other decorative wares, from around the globe. I can't afford a lot of it, but I appreciate it. Some of it has to be antique for quality, but there are still some companies out there, producing exceptionally fine goods, today, like Hutschenruether. Of course, a small figurine from them will run about $300.

Lladro is more affordable, but not nearly as pretty.

Limoges and Dresden must be antique, as with Satsuma, although the Satsuma contemporary pieces are still pretty....just not of the same art quality.

Nippon pieces must be antique, but there are still some good contemporary wares from Japan, as well.

In contemporary glass, Lalique and Daum Nancy, lead the way, followed by Sabino.

You can often find a few really nice items at Tuesday Morning sales, but the good stuff only lasts a short time, before it is gone. They have had Doulton, Coalport, Lalique,
    and Kincaid art prints, over the past few years. They have also had some Royal Albert (by Doulton). The main store on Inwood, is the best source, but the smaller suburban stores also get some of the good pieces.

There is an art glass shop at Preston Royal, that has some very nice pieces, and one at the Frisco Mall, as well.

Of course, Needless Mark-up has Daum Nancy.

I buy a piece of cameo glass from China now and then, as they do make some better stuff, at acceptable prices, if you are discriminating about what you buy. The Franz fine porcelain is made in China, also, and it is very good stuff.

Lotton art glass makes some wonderful pieces, as well as Orient and Flume.

My taste runs to traditional and antique looks, in fine pieces, rather than modern.

Furniture.....that is an entirely different matter. It has gotten really difficult to find quality furniture anywhere. The only places I would go now, if I needed something, would be Weir's, or Haverty's. Too much low quality goods which look nice.....but it is all painted on over particle board, from China or Taiwan.....in most furniture stores, like Ashley.

I am glad I got most of my furniture while it was available. Quality furniture has become so expensive, almost no one can afford it, today.

One thing you can be sure of.....if it is quality, it will not be inexpensive, whether porcelain, glass, pottery or wood. Even Van Briggle contemporary pottery is very expensive, for the really large pieces (as well as some of the smaller ones.)

Of course, I now look for Native pieces, of fine goods, although that isn't any less expensive!

• doultonevent_com
    15 years ago

In the true spirit of innovation, Whitley Collection/Seaway China announces a premier Royal Doulton International Event to take place July 17-19, 2009 at the Ann Arbor Marriott Ypsilanti at Eagle Crest in Ypsilanti, Michigan. This preeminent international exposition will feature an expansive roster of prestigious, international exhibitors featuring the finest in Royal Doulton, Moorcroft, and other masters of British art pottery design.

Serving as the venue for this cultural event, the Ann Arbor Marriott at Eagle Crest is nestled on a 135 acre championship golf course and offers a tranquil park setting and resort-style amenities. The Ann Arbor Marriott will be transformed into a dazzling art gallery, displaying the finest in British ceramic and art pottery design.

Gregg Whittecar and Arron Rimpley, promoters for this international event and owners of Whitley Collection and Seaway China located in Doral, Florida, have been providing collectors around the world with the finest in Royal Doulton, Moorcroft, Wedgwood and other fine art pottery and ceramics. They have successfully organized and participated in numerous expositions throughout the world. The promoters are also authors of the book Royal Doulton: A Legacy of Excellence 1871-1945, depicting the important contributions made by the Doulton Company during the late 19th and early 20th century.

Dont Forget to R.S.V.P. To This Year's Premiere Royal Doulton Event & Exposition visit http://doultonevent.com

Here is a link that might be useful: The Premiere Royal Doulton Show and Exposition