Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remuda1

Donated Plants Update (pics)

remuda1
16 years ago

I wish pictures did justice to all of these plants, but they just don't.

I didn't feel like dragging the Indigo Spires over to the group photo so here it is. I had to put it in a little bit of shade yesterday. The fence is 3 or 3 1/2 feet tall. Getting it into the back seat of my truck was an interesting feat!

There are about 15 irises that are not in this shot. To give you an idea of the scope of what has been donated, here is a VERY sketchy list:

PLANTS:

17 pots cannas (all colors and sizes)

13 pots ruellias " "

8 pots Southern Shield Fern

4 pots blue mist

1 trumpet vine

6 pots creeping jenny

5 pots columbine

2 russian sage

2 brazilian buttons

2 rock rose

3 brazilian rock rose

3 pots baby umbrella grass

4 blue pea vine

2 cypress vine

7 periwinkle w/purslane mixed in

1 black and blue salvia

4 lady in red salvia

3 salvia gregii

4 rose scented geraniums

5 little blackie sweet potato vine

3 ace of spades sweet potato vine

2 hardy hibiscus

2 lantana

5 daylilies

3 yarrow

3 basil

3 flame acanthus

1 gaura

6 *purple stuff* - PJ

1 pot artemisia

tons of irises

1 honeysuckle

1 caladiums

1 lily

3 echinacea

1 cosmos

3 turks cap

1 indigo spires

1 sago palm

3 pots mexican hydrangea

several mums

SEEDS:

Yellow Cosmos

Winecup

Cleome

Sweet Alyssum (purple and white)

Cosmos Red Dazzler

Gloriosa Daisy

Cosmos mix

Plains Coreopsis

Bird's Eyes

Globe Gilia

Clasping Coneflower

Mexican Hat

California Poppy

Coreopsis Red Dwarf

Mixed Phlox

Bachelor Buttons

Scarlet Flax

Salvia coccinea Cherry Blossom

and Blanket flower

I *know* there are things I am forgetting and I apologize, but I'm finding it hard to keep track! You all are AMAZING!!

Kristi

Comments (13)

• denisew
    16 years ago

That is amazing! That new garden is going to be so beautiful!

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

You go! You collected so many plants! I'll bet that garden is going to be beautiful too! PJ

• carolann_z8
    16 years ago

Dang, that's a lot of plants. You could open up a nursery. lol

Good job!!

• remuda1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

"You collected so many plants!"

You're right PJ, but it took all of you that donated the plants and seeds to make it happen :). I went yesterday just to take a look at the site since we had rain the night before, and it was pretty muddy. Hopefully we'll be able to get back in to do some work on the beds early next week. There's rain in our forecast for the next few days so we'll have to see how that goes.

The tall cannas and the vines will go a long way towards covering up that rickety fence. Although I helped it along with the bobcat, it seems like everytime you touch the fence, a board falls off!

It seems that I am adding to the plant list everyday as well. Yesterday, I went out to prune a salvia gregii that is trying to smother a daylily and I was able to pot up a good rooted section that I had removed. I also have tons of liriope here that I will dig. When the wind broke part of the flame acanthus, I was able to root them and I am rooting some lavender hyssop as well. I have a hardy hibiscus that was supposed to be a dwarf that has grown as tall as the house that I am going to donate too. For some reason, it is also getting hit hard by grasshoppers while the compact one next to it is fine as well as the Texas Star. The grasshoppers aren't nearly as bad in town as they are out here, so it should do well there. I think with all of the sweet potato vine I've potted we'll have a great start on some good ground cover too :). I know it's about to take over the entire bed I've got it in, LOL! I cut off little pieces with roolets on them when I did it, but in the next day or two I'm going to have to go out there and whack big hunks off of it to tame it down a little bit, so we'll have even more to put in gallon sized pots this time. I'll also be digging some kwanzo daylily babies here in the next day or two. I think we'll be able to present a pretty well established garden to these ladies when it comes time for them to begin using the facility.

I'll be posting some before and during pics in the next couple of days as well. You all take care, I gotta get out there and start mowing before the rains hit again today :).

Kristi

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

Great job Kristi, it is going to be beautiful and I can't wait to see it once y'all had it completed.

Your a sweetheart to do this.

Barb

• PKponder TX Z7B
    16 years ago

Looks like I need to bring Jeff's cordless driver and fix that fence. Will you be there on Tuesday, Kristi?

Pam

• new_in_texas
    16 years ago

WooHoo!, good job everyone!

• little_dani
    16 years ago

Kristi, you have email. LOL

Janie

• remuda1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Pam, I believe that Phyllis is going to replace the worst sections of the fence and.......the post that I broke. You can email her and see if she would like for you to try your hand at it. I think we can patch the post with a 2X4 screwed into it above and below the break, but I don't know what she wants to do, specifically. I'm such a dork, I thought at first that you were talking about my picket fence :).

As an aside, I noticed this morning that my Star of Yelta morning glories are already reseeding, so you can add a boatload of those to the plant list too :).

Janie, no email yet anyway. I'll keep checking the mailbox and the spam box as well.

"WooHoo!, good job everyone!"

YUP! Give yourselves a big pat on the back or......the cocktail of your choosing :).

Kristi

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Kristi, looking so good, and give yourself a bigger pat on the back for doing all this work, and doing such a great job of organizing. Bless you!!!!!

• remuda1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Carrie :). Gonna try to get a group over there this week to get the beds in a little better shape to set plants out. Will also be taking all of the bulk soaker hose material and accessories that Bev donated and try to get that set up. Doug, who you met when we came out, has a little mantis tiller and it did a pretty good job of mixing the soil amendments in last time so I'm sure we'll be putting it to use again.

We (the landscape crew) all took a bit of a break (from the project at least) this past week and it's time to get back after it and put this puppy to bed :).

Dang, forgot to ask Doug to send the before pics to me AGAIN. I'm going to email him right now.

Kristi

• little_dani
    16 years ago

Well, shoot! I went to look in my 'sent' box, and it isn't there either!

I must have just closed it out instead of sending it. Sorry.

Anyway, please send me your snail mail address. I want to donate too. I thought y'all might need some soil amendments, or mulch, or something.

LMK

Janie

• remuda1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Janie, I sent you a note via GardenWeb. I haven't had much luck sending or receiving with this method, so just in case you don't get anything, my email is remuda1@aol.com.

Thanks a million for wanting to help out!

Kristi