Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jolanaweb

I have lost my best friend, my dog Tweed

jolanaweb
16 years ago

I have had some wonderful dogs in my lifetime but he was the best dog I have ever known. He stayed right by my side when I was sick and hung on every word I said.

I know he had a good life and regret he had to suffer even a little bit in the end.

Losing him has been so much harder than I ever expected.

I wish all of y'all could have met him. He was so laid back and very loyal and protective

I do miss him soo very much

Comments (32)

• grittymitts
    16 years ago

Oh, Jolana, I'm so so sorry to hear about your loss. People who haven't truly loved an animal don't comprehend how deeply one grieves over a beloved pet...especially one who stood by during such a troubled time- it's seems they understand in ways humans can't.

My heart goes out to you, and I send hugs.
    Suzi

• bossjim1
    16 years ago

I'm so sorry, Jolana. Pets can become our best friends, and their loss can hurt deeply. A good dog defines loyalty. You will constantly be in my thoughts as you mourn the loss of this great friend.
    Jim

• new_in_texas
    16 years ago

Big ((hug)) for you.

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

He was an incredibly sweet dog. Handsome too. (((Jolana))) He was lucky to have you for a dog mom. PJ

• sylviatexas1
    16 years ago

I'm so sorry.

I know it's like losing a part of yourself.

Maybe it's that part of your heart where he turned around 3 times & curled up & made a place for himself.

I once heard something that paid tribute to that dog-to-human (dog-to-woman?) bond.

A woman said of the beloved dog she'd just lost:

"She was always right there by my knee, taking every step I took.

"If I'd walked through the door to h#!!, that dog would have been right there beside me."

You were lucky to have had Tweed, & Tweed was lucky to have had you.

Maybe you can plant a rosemary for remembrance.

• natvtxn
    16 years ago

I am so sorry that Tweed passed away. He was such a sweet fellow.

• Dena Walters
    16 years ago

jolana,
    I am heartbroke for you! I hope that you will find peace and know you will be in my thoughts and prayers. What kind of breed was he?
    Dena

• rick_mcdaniel
    16 years ago

Tough thing to weather. Only known antidote, is another dog.

Last time, I went all the way to east side of Waco, to get my puppies, just because I didn't want the house to be that empty, after just 3 days.

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Jolana, there is always that once in a lifetime pet for each of us, and I believe Tweed was yours. I am so glad you have such sweet memories to comfort you as you will mourn him for a long time. Just know that so very many of us know and understand your pain, and we will be here for you.
    (((Hugs))) while you are waiting for the pain to get better.

• remuda1
    16 years ago

I'm so sorry Jolana, my thoughts are with you.

Kristi

• honeybunny2 Fox
    16 years ago

Jolana, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your best friend. Nothing can replace the empty hole in your heart. I I know first hand, we lost all 3 of our dogs, in less than 6 months. My husband could not stop crying and wanted to get another dog, I was totally against it. It was the best thing we could have done. We can never replace our babies, they will always be in our hearts, but our new dogs have helped us heal. Barbra,

• gabriell_gw
    16 years ago

I'm sorry to hear of your sad loss.How fortunate you were to have had such a special pet.

• denisew
    16 years ago

Jolana - I am so sorry to hear about your beloved dog. Sometimes we have that special connection with our pets and it can be very difficult when they die.

I have to share this story with you. Two weeks after my 21 year old cat died, my neighbor came over to tell me about this little black kitten that was clinging to another neighbor's fence. She couldn't take it in her house because her terriers don't do well with cats. She didn't know who it belonged to either, so I took it and tried to find its owners with no luck. I just knew I was going to take that little kitty to the shelter when they opened after the weekend knowing how easy it is for kittens to get adopted and reported him found to the shelter, but decided to hold onto him and let the owners contact me instead. I even put up signs in the neighborhood. Well, nobody ever called for him and my heart just opened right back up to this little guy - even though I didn't think I was ready. It filled that empty spot I had for my old cat.

When you're ready, you'll come across another dog that will find that special spot in your heart.

• justintx
    16 years ago

Jolana - may you remember all of the special things Tweed did - and smile with pleasant memories. I still miss 'Okie' (hey, I got him in OKC) - its been 9 years - and I'm smiling right now just thinking of him. He was a phenomenal labrador.
    J.D.

• little_dani
    16 years ago

Jolana, thank you for coming to tell us about Tweed. I am so sorry for your loss.

There are so many animal lovers here, we all know how you feel. We have all felt the same way. It will take awhile, but the sadness will soften, and you will only remember Tweed with happiness.

My old Doberman, "PJ", was my best friend. It took a long time, but now, my fondest memory of the her is her laying in 'her' recliner, on her back, all four feet in the air, while someone was beating on my door at midnight. She was oblivious, knew there was no danger, and didn't feel like she had to get excited about it. I was hollering "Who is it?", and whispering to her "Wake up, PJ!" It was only my friend Dorothy.

I am so happy that you had Tweed to help you through some hard times.

I have another best friend now. A 4 year old boxer that we rescued a couple of years ago. She pays attention, listens to me, tells me about it, and is a great friend and companion. Once again, I find myself bonded to a dog that I can tell anything!

I hope your saddness is lifted soon.

Janie

• carolann_z8
    16 years ago

Jolana, I'm so sorry you lost Tweed. He was a sweet dog and beautiful too. I know it'll be a long time to get over him being gone and I wish I was there to help you through this.

Love, Carol

• PKponder TX Z7B
    16 years ago

Hugs Jolana, I am just so sorry for you.

Pam

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks to everyone of you for you kind words and understanding

We have Maisy, but as sweet as she can be she just wants to eat and have fun. She's the Lindsey Lohan of the dog world but we love her

I know it will get easier and I'm waiting for it and I do have tons of happy thoughts about Tweed

Sylvia, I loved that and it fits to a *T*
    Dena he was a Blue Merle Collie

Thanks again
    jolana

• petra_gw
    16 years ago

Jolana, I know what you are going through. HUGS!!

• scuba-gal
    16 years ago

I'm so sorry for your loss Jolana, I can't image being without my best pal. Your in my thoughts!
    ~Angie~

• Bev__
    16 years ago

I just popped in for the first time in 3-4 weeks (lots of houseguests (26) just left).

I am so sorry to hear that your Tweed is gone. How sad & lost you must be. It will get easier and the good memories will always be with you.
    I know exactly how you feel. My almost 18 year old Buffy died 2 years ago and I still miss her. I love my puppies, but they can't take Buffy's place.

• sally2_gw
    16 years ago

Oh, Jolana, I've had my head up my patootie, and missed seeing this thread. I'm so sorry you have lost Tweed. He sounds like he was a great dog, and I know you'll miss him. My heart and prayers go out to you.

Sally

• sjv78736
    16 years ago

"I have had some wonderful dogs in my lifetime but he was the best dog I have ever known. He stayed right by my side when I was sick and hung on every word I said."

I can say the same about my little Jake. I lost him in March. I still expect to see him in his favorite places. I understand your grief.
    Please accept my condolences, Jolana.
    Jo

• west_texas_peg
    16 years ago

Our son's dog, Kate B. left us in her 12th year. She slept at my feet on the corner of the bed for so long that I automatically bent my right leg to make room for her even after she was gone.

I told my DH that we had to find another friend. He said we could not replace her. I told him that was true but a new little friend would help to fill the void she had left (I boohoo'd for what seemed like weeks...my son could not believe I took it so hard).

Six weeks later Tess came into our lives, all 1 3/4 lbs of her and she has been the best dog of our 42 year marriage. She loves us both, loves to talk to our grown son on the phone...hates his 4 huge cats! We just took in 2 black feral kittens we found under our house. I thought Tess was going to disown us. LOL She loves to tattle on what they are up to and with those two they are ALWAYS up to something (what was I thinking!).

The good Lord shared a wonderful friend like Tweed and surely HE will send you another that will help you during the trying times you are dealing with.

Much love from Tess, YoYo, YaYa, DH and me (((hug)))
    Peggy

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

Jolana I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I know how hard it is loosing a beloved pet.
    They are part of our lives, so much so that we think of them as family members. We call our fur baby our daughter or baby girl.
    Sending you Warm Hug's Barb

• prairiepaintbrush
    16 years ago

Oh, Jolana, I'm so sorry. This is the first time I read this thread. Made me cry. So sorry.

• momofjandj
    16 years ago

I just saw this thread tonight and I'm still crying as I type this. Losing a pet that close leaves a void in your heart for a very long time.
    Last August, we had to put down our found boxer/mastiff mix, Chopper, we'd had for about 6 years. He was the first big dog we'd ever had and what an awesome dog he was! He had a slow decline over about a year from what was believed to be a pituitary tumor.
    No doubt, he would have given his life for me. He followed my every step while I was pregnant with both of my children...even before I knew I was pregnant he knew and was on my heels and very protective. (Just typing that makes me smile and cry at the same time)
    I have no doubts that God puts animals in our lives just as he does people. Tweed was there for you in your times of need just as I'm sure you were for him. I am so sorry for your loss and I pray that you find comfort in those precious memories!

• carrie751
    16 years ago

And all these wonderful creatures will be waiting for us at Rainbow Bridge --- I have no doubt !!!!

• janet_w
    16 years ago

Jolana I'm so sorry. Pets are like our children. I miss my chow everyday he was the best dog. Look toward the sky and smile because Tweed is smiling back saying thank you mommie. Just know that God is taking very good care of him for you.

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bless all of your hearts.
    I picked up his ashes yesterday and brought him back home and feel much better that he is here, that and your kind words
    Hugs to all that have lost their pets
    jolana

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

Jolana, I am so very sorry that you lost such a good friend. Our doberman is like a daughter and getting older. I dread the day we have to go through that. Remember the good times.
    Kristy

• LovingEyes16
    9 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear about your losses. It's truly difficult to lose a best friend and loving companion. Every pet is so unique and special. I am fostering a beautiful well mannered Staffordshire Terrier who really needs a loving home. She was a neighbors pet who fell on hard times. I have a dog so I can't afford to keep her long term. I know this is a strange way to share her information, but I want to ensure she finds a safe and loving home. Please just look at her adopt a pet page. The link is below labeled Cookie.Thank you

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookie

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals