Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobbi_p

Checking In, Prayers Needed...

bobbi_p
17 years ago

Hi Guys,

It's been a whirlwind of a couple of weeks with all the physicals, business appointments, home repairs, tidying up the yard, etc. for our move to London.

We were supposed to drive the kids up to Illinois to stay with relatives this Friday and then Eric and I take off to London for our house-hunting trip. That got promptly cancelled when I had to take Eric to the hospital Saturday night with severe abdominal pain.

After a CT scan confirmed appendicitis, we were told he'd be admitted and have surgery whenever the surgeon on call deemed. It ends up, we spent the night in the ER hallway (apparently it was a full moon this past weekend), got a room around 6:30, and Eric was scheduled for surgery at 9:30.

It's not good to be greeted by a surgeon with the words, "It was much worse than we expected." Apparently, Eric's appendix had ruptured and judging from the associated abscesses and drainage, the surgeon guesstimated it had been ruptured for 2-3 days (funny Eric hadn't felt anything until 24 hours before we took him to the ER -AND- the CT scan indicated no perforations or ruptures at 3 AM?????). What do you think, you medical types out there? Was it or wasn't it ruptured when the CT scan indicated it wasn't?

Anyway, Eric's in the hospital with a drain tube, fevers, and not able to keep solid food down. The doctor is estimating he might be able to come home Friday if he can keep food down and no fever. He's perky and coherent and has discovered the beauty of pain medication, but boy the poor guy is going stir crazy. He's not the type to hang out and watch Ophrah all day!

Keep us in your prayers. It's going to be hard to keep him from lifting more than 10 or 15 pounds when we were wanting to be in London by Labor Day!

Comments (13)

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Well, I'm certainly no expert. However, a bored,whiny patient is always a good sign. Y'all are in my prayers! PJ

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

I'll be praying for you guys. I really thought he'd be in a lot of pain. That sure is strange.

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

(((Bobbi))), bless your hearts. Y'all will be in our thoughts and prayers. Life sure doesn't have any good timing sometimes. I don't know if they would have seen it earlier before or not but I'm glad they did see it, finally
    Tell him to remember how it feels to be laid up like this and maybe he'll mind his P's and Q's and not try to overdo
    jolana

• Dena Walters
    17 years ago

Its almost scary that it happens so fast..but I DO KNOW how fast a bad illness can happen
    You have my prayers..and speedy recovery and safe trip...
    Dena

• remuda1
    17 years ago

Bobbi,

I had mine out when I was thirteen (ONLY 31 years ago). My side had been hurting for 2-3 days before I finally relented and let Mom take me to the doctor. We found out at 3:00 p.m. that it was the appendix and the last thing I remember in the operating room was looking at the clock. It was 4:30 p.m., they didnt waste any time and this was a MILITARY hospital. Best known for 4-5 hour waits in the waiting room :).

It floors me that they would delay his procedure. The risks of doing so are high. I hope they started the pain meds PRIOR to surgery, poor guy. I also hope that they have him on mega-doses of antibiotics and thank goodness they are at least getting him stoned ;). Least they can do, I say. I got a new 13 inch black and white TV out of the ordeal (no TVs in the rooms at the military hospital so Mom and Dad bought me one!). Maybe you could do something for him too? Maybe a hoochie koochie dancer to perk him up? But NO lap dances!!!!! OHHH, and don't get him laughing really hard.....it really hurts!

Best of luck with it, I know he will be fine. But keep after the staff to take good care of him. I lucked out and had great nurses, hope he does too. Cherry kool-aid was a hit with me ;)

Kristi

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

That's known as......no suitable surgeon handy!

Normally, apendicitis is operated on right away, to prevent the rupture that would of course, complicate and make more dangerous, the condition.

Sitting in a hospital hallway, means you were waiting on a suitable surgeon, and the probability is, the rupture happened in the hallway, and the doc is making excuses for the lack of immediate attention, by suggesting that the rupture happened sooner. (Wouldn't want to open the hospital to any liability.)

Those things happen all the time. Of course, look at it this way.....in England, you are at the mercy of the National Health Service. The wait would have likely been as long or longer, there!

Sounds as though he is recovering already, so be thankful it wasn't worse.

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Bobbi, you will be in my prayers. I sincerely hope things continue to improve and your London plans will not be too delayed. Looking on the bright side, it could have happened in London - that would have been an experience.
    Take care and I'll be praying for all of you --

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

Been there and done that with my daughter when she was nine. She developed a tummy ache in school. We didn't have a car available, so she had to walk the 1/2 mile home in pain. I really didn't think it was anything more than something she ate, but it just kept getting worse. I wasn't able to get her into a doctor till that evening, when their emergency clinic was open. He had her jump up and down and tell him if it hurt. That was how he decided she needed to go to the hospital. They actually had her do that there, too. She was in so much pain I had to carry her, and they had her jumping up and down. Turned out her appendix was ruptured, also. The luckiest thing about this was it happened a few weeks after my DH was laid off, but before his insurance ran out, so we were covered. A month later, and we would have been in real trouble. She recovered nicely, but had to take some huge antibiotic pills that they said had to be taken whole. No way. They were bigger than she was. (She's always been very, very tiny) We had to break them in half, and still they were big for her.

Bobbi, you and your son are in my thoughts and prayers. He'll be out of there in no time, and feelling much better, I'm sure. Hang in there.

Sally

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

How goes it today? You and Eric are certainly in my prayers.

If it is any consulation, all ERs are that way, everyday. It is because so mny people have no insurance and that is their only alternative.
    The night my son took me, my doctor had called and told them to admit me. We went about 8:00 p.m. and it was 11;00 a.m. before they got me in a room.

I agree with Rick.

• Jacquelyn8b
    17 years ago

Yep, I'm with Rick on this one.
    Count your blessings that all turned out so well.

Don't worry about the move. Before you know it, you'll be in your new home and learning all their gardening secrets!

• bobbi_p
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Got my guy home Thursday night. He still was nauseated through the nights until Saturday night. Now he's stir crazy and wanting regular food. (We actually went to Chili's last night so he could try one of those burgers they've been advertising. He was able to eat 1/2 of one!) We go back to the doctor this morning to have the abdominal drain tube removed.

Yes, we're thankful that if it had to happen, it happened while we were here and not when we were travelling!

Thanks for the prayers guys. He's still not 100%, so don't forget him yet!

Bobbi

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Bobbi, we wouldn't forget y'all
    I'm so glad to hear he is doing better
    jolana

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

No way! I'm soooo glad to hear he's on the mend! PJ

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews