Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pjtexgirl

Hey!! Where is everyone???

pjtexgirl
17 years ago

Lemme guess, Bloodless(chiggers,mosquitos etc...),dehydrated(too busy giving plants water to drink anything), and heat stroke from putting in plants you found during a "summer sale" for 75% off! Not to bore everyone with the story of my life or anything....LOL!PJ

Comments (42)

• beachplant
    17 years ago

Drowned. And bloodless. OK, so where is the 75% off sale??? You didn't tell us about that! Hit the garden center in Houston for their 50% off, got 2 variegated brugs, some filler plants, clivia, plumeria(like I need more of those) and some other stuff. Since it's mostly all planted I obviously need to hit another sale. Missed Jungle Jerry's, thought it was THIS weekend, it was last, just as well....
    Tally HO!

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Smaller nurseries will have 75% to make up for lack of traffic. Tx is either drownin' or dryin'.LOL!PJ

• carrie751
    17 years ago

I'm the "dryin" part and that is where you find me most of the time --- watering. I dash in long enough for iced tea and to check my email and I'm off again. I won't know what to do IF it ever does rain - may have to clean my dirty house -----ughhhh!

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

My water bill is outrageous but I would still buy plants at 75% off. lol

I just can't stop myself.

Oh yea and rumor has it that Jolanas out of town.

It is kind of dead around here.

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

She was supposed to have company this weekend.

Same old hot here. We can water on Thursdays only, unless it is done by had. We got 3 inches of rain on Tuesday or Wednesday, so I did not have to use the sprinklers on Thursday.

I have zoysia grass, so I am letting it go dormant.

• kateyes
    17 years ago

Well....it's been raining here, so I did have to clean my dirty house!!! And I'm still at it!! I didn't realize how much time I usually spend in the garden. It's been clear for the last two days, but I've stayed inside (willpower) trying to finish my closet-cleaning binge, and at least 3 neighbors have called to see if I'm okay since they didn't see me outside! LOL
    I can hear all my plants crying; they miss my TLC!! :-)

I cannot go near a garden center....yet. I have to get the oil changed in my car, and take my dogs to the vet first. Then....well, I can cut back on groceries; could stand to lose a pound or two...can't miss those end-of-season sales!!

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

Kateyes, several years ago someone told me there is a day lily nursery/grower there in Baytown. Is it still there? One of these days I want to go there. I hope I will be able to drive over there soon. When I called my granddaughter for her b'day, I told her I would come see her in maybe 2 months...hope I wasn't fibbing.

• Dena Walters
    17 years ago

Ya know I was wondering where everyone was also!!..Been really quiet around here lately!!
    Well I finally got 5 days off in a row and it rained every single day I was off..sigh...and yet I still didn't get my house cleaned up. Was watching my grandson most of the time..and then slept the rest..Im extremely tired lately!! hmmmm...old age I guess..LOL
    Dena

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

There's a heat wave coming this weekend. It'll be 100 degrees.

That's probably the end of our rain for a while.

My neighbor has zoysia grass and it always looks so nice.

Kathy will yours stay green very long if it goes dormant?
    I've heard that it stays green longer with less water but I've never ask my neighbor.

• Jacquelyn8b
    17 years ago

Whooped and sore but we're home again.
    I've got to buy a more comfortable vehicle. My husband's truck just about beats you to death!

A deer was 'trimming' our pillared Lavender Lassie when I took the pooches out this morning. Wonder who was more surprised? By all the tracks, the deer had one throw-down of a party while we were gone!

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

We were going to go to oldest DD's but they came here and we had a really good time. It was way too hot to go outside tho, lol
    They loaded up their truck with plants, lol

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

CarolAnn, the zoysia turns brown, but as soon as it rains it greens up with in a couple days. I have not watered it but once this year. It is green right now from the 3 inches of rain we got last week.
    I had a water leak for over a week and did not know it. My water bill that came 3 days ago was $405. The leak was in the sprinkler system, on the side of the house where there is only gravel. Wouldn't you know that is where it would happen. That side of the house has wave of limestone that at least 8 feet deep, so we just covered it with pea gravel. I never go there so would not have known it if the water company had not sent a man to investigate.

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

That's a major bummer, Natvtxn. They sent a man to investigate? Did they think you were cheating on the watering restrictions?

I've been drowning in zucchini and eggplant, and have been trying to come up with ways to use it. I've never eaten so much eggplant and zucchini before in my life.

I've also been working at taming down that feral kitten I caught. I've named him Mickey after Mickey Mouse, due to his big ears. He's coming along quite nicely, purrs when petted, but doesn't stay still long enough to be petted. As soon as I touch him, he purrs, and runs away - kind of mixed signals. I've gotten some treats that he loves, and feed them to him a bit at a time while I hold him and pet him. I think that's helping a lot. I'm still hoping to find a home for him, as at least one of my other cats is still really mad about this kitten. The kitten has found a friend in one of my other cats, the one that adopted us last fall. He's just under a year, and they play a lot, which is good, especially since Traveler has been getting a bit pudgy.

And, DH and I went to see "Pirates of the Carribean - Dead Man's Chest" yesterday afternoon. It was great fun. And hey, Orlando Bloom and Johnny Depp on the screen at the same time. What more can you ask? ;-)

Sally

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

Kathy, that's terrible. My DD had a water bill like that when the kids left the water hose on overnight.

Sally, wish you lived closer. I'd help you put some of those veggies to use. lol

I pick Johnny Depp. I think he's a real HOTTIE!!!

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Water bill. I am blessed or something. I was SURE I was going to get a huge bill for water. Basically, I left a hose on an establishing vine for the mailbox. When I went to run errands it was on barely trickle. When I got back it was on pour! The water pressure had changed! It'd filled the gutter all the way down the street. I was so upset. all that d*mn xeriscaping and I'm dumping water down the drain literally! My bill was only Eighty-nine. It's usually around 60 but I was so relieved it wasn't like two or three hundred!
    I want to see Pirates of the Carribean! Those two guys are a little too pretty for my taste (a guy has to be over 6ft,200,and be handsome,not pretty.) They're fun to watch anyway. The pirate guy Johnny(?) is funny. I also like well choreographed sword fighting. It's so much harder than they make it look.
    Congrats on your new kitty Sally! PJ

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

During dog days, I only venture out in early morning hours, or very late afternoon.

I find various indoor activities to indulge in, until the temps moderate to a tolerable level for human beings.

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

I have no plans on keeping this kitty, just fostering him......I hope and pray. He makes kitty number 7, counting the stray in the back yard. I'm just not wanting to go there.

Yes, Johnny Depp plays the pirate. He's not only gorgeous, he's a very talented and versitile actor. He was in Edward Scissorhands, Chocolate, all kinds of dark drug and crime movies that I haven't seen, Finding Neverland, etc. etc. It seems that there is no role he can't play. Was he in the movie made years and years ago with Leonardo DiCapria (sp?) called "What's Eating Gilbert Grape?" I'm thinking so.

Carol, I wish we lived closer, too. I'd be glad to share.

Sally

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

He is very versatile, The Secret Window, oooooooweeeoooooooo

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I loved the movie what's eating Gilbert Grape almost as much as the book. Leonardo did an amazing job too. I liked Edward Scissor Hands as well. That has just got to become a cult classic.
    I'm worried about my eggplant now. My tomatoe went nuts I think the eggplant will too! Veggies really like it here.PJ

• beachplant
    17 years ago

Went to see the Pirates on Monday. I really liked it, my husband said it wasn't as good as the first. Good special effects, goofiness, great sword fights. Mindless entertainment!

I don't know about Baytown but there is a daylily farm in Friendswood(I think) across from the fire station. Paynes in the grass.

Tally HO!

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

Thanks Tally. Remember if any storms head your way, you and your pets have a place here in San Antonio/Bulverde.

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

Thanks for the offer to share veggies Sally.

Johnny was in What's Eatting Gilbert Grape.

He was cute way back then too.

I didn't much like him in the Secret Window.

He was cute but a little too crazy for my taste. lol

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

I don't remember Secret Window. I skip the movies about the drug trade and such - they're too dark for me. Was that one of those movies? There was one movie he was in that was rather dark, but interesting, too. I think it was another take on the Jack the Ripper theme. Johnny Depp played a drug addicted detective that tried to solve the crimes. I don't remember if it was actually a Jack the Ripper story, or just a similar story. I don't think I saw the whole movie.

Sally

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Sally, it wasn't about the drug trade but a a very thrilling thriller, lol
    Here's a place where you can watch a clip, if you want

Here is a link that might be useful: The Secret Window

• Bev__
    17 years ago

I had over 2 weeks of company (mostly kids & grandkids) I'm wore out, but we all had fun, ate too much & sunburned.
    George was even home most the time, we didn't get much alone time. Every nite we had at least 1 grandkid in bed with us. They all love to sleep with grandpa & grandma. (we got some privacy in the shower) They think our snoring is funny!
    I miss them all now more than ever.
    Our youngest daughter (she's different) and her husband even came for 3 days and announced they are finally PG! I think that will be the last of the grandkids, our other kids are "fixed".
    My son who is undercover vice in Phx came looking like a degenerate. He used to be super clean cut, super cop looking. He was the only casualty. We have an XM radio on the boat and somehow it fell on his big toe, popped the nail off and split it open. It wouldn't stop bleeding so he went to ER and they "super glued" it. He's back to work and the limping & pain really make him look mean & nasty. He came with his wife, her parents & 3 kids & they were here 8 days.
    Our daughter with the jerk for a husband came with just her son for 12 whole days. Two of my sisters and 3 nieces and nephews were here for 10 days. No fights....amazing!
    We had friends & family coming & going all the time.
    We were regulars at the airorts!

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

Wow, Bev, I'm surprised you can even lift your fingers enough to type! Glad you had fun. Congratulations on your future new grandkid!

Sally

• Bev__
    17 years ago

I love company. We have a lot of house guests, friends & family. I have a very large family and we're spread out all over, but still very close knit.
    It is rough on a house! My grandkids are pretty rambunctious. I keep touching up all the wall nicks as I see them. I have a lot of wood trim scratches to sand & restain & varnish, but I'm waiting for another 6 months to be sure my foot surgery worked and I won't be scratching it up more with my wheelchair.
    The worst house disaster was done by me. I had my big electric roaster on the kitchen counter cooking down 35# of ribs all night and it got pushed up against the side of my appliance garage and singed about a 5" x 7" burn in the wood. Thank goodness I wake up a lot at night and noticed it. (the ribs were wonderful)
    It took us 2 days to put all the water toys, extra outside furniture, fishing equipment, exta beds, dishes, linens, & etc away. I did 2 days of laundry. We had 8-10 contractor bags of trash each week. Yesterday I went thru my cupboads and got everything back where it belonged and wiped them all out while I was at it.
    Re the new grandbaby, I'm a bit concerned. I know my son in law will be a great daddy, but my daughter will NOT be a good mom.

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Thought I would revive this one as no one is posting. I hope it's just because you are too busy ------------

• Jacquelyn8b
    17 years ago

Whow Bev! I just read your post for the first time.
    It wore me out! How are you doing now, a few weeks later?

Around here...we picked up Elizabeth in Arlington last week, kept her for about 36 hours then sent her to Houston for two weeks. She decided she was going to marry Anthony (the boy in the prom pictures) when he came home on leave in late August. SHE still has to graduate high school, so her dad and I weren't happy at all with her BS this summer.

Anyhow, Anthony called and told us he wanted to wait until Elizabeth was finished with school before they were married. (yippeee!) Elizabeth called and said that was fine with her because she would have been "bored in Germany". (Is it just being 18 or is she really that shallow?) I had a dear friend talk to her about 'marrying the Army' so she could get a better idea of what to expect. Also to get myself out of the middle!

SO!!! We are very happy that she will be living here and going to school and we don't have to throw together a wedding. (I reserve the right to retract that statement after school starts!)

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

OMG, I bet you want to shake her! That is too young to marry. The reason I know is that I did marry too young. I thought it would be sooo fun to "play house". It did not dawn on me that I would be doing all the cooking, washing dishes, cleaning, laundry and ironing army uniforms.

• Jacquelyn8b
    17 years ago

Forget it - she called to tell me she is moving back up to Arlington this Saturday with some girl. She doesn't even know the girl's last name! There is a boy (of course) that is 16, six-bloody-teen, that she apparently can't live without.

I give! Anthony doesn't even know. Guess I get to tell him. Now I get to stand back and watch her make all kinds of nasty mistakes. (sigh) Yep, I certainly want to shake her now! She was raised better.

Where did this girl come from? I don't even know her. Seems strange that someone can live in your home for 18 years, not give you a bit of trouble and then (((boom))), she goes goofy! Disappointing and sad :-(

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

Well, clearly it is a good thing she's not getting married. She definately still has a lot of growing up to do. My heart goes out to you, Jac.

I got married at age 20, and nearly 30 years later we are still happily married. It can happen. I would not have been ready at age 18, though. No way, uh uh. Funny just what those 2 years did for me.

Sally

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

Jac, we went through things like that with my DD. She drove us crazy and we don't know where the heck she got it from.
    She married right after high school and ended up getting divorced.

I married right after high school and we're still together after 30 years and very much in love.
    You just never know.

• Bev__
    17 years ago

Jaq....I'm glad my kids are adults. There are still problems with their spouses, their kids & their finances. Dealing with a headstrong wayward female teen...thats a really tough one. I wouldn't want to go thru that pain & frustation. Plan to be there and help her "pick up the pieces" when her world crashes around her and hope she learns from her mistakes.
    When I was 19 PG and "had to" get married, my mom (she's gone now almost 10 yrs and I miss her & her wisdom terribly) raked me over the coals for being so stupid and irresponsible and much more. I had the audacity to throw back to her that at least was better than her, at least I graduated from high school before getting PG (she was 15 when she "had" me). I thought I knew everything. I broke her heart and she only wanted better for me than she had. It took me less than a year to see how stupid I was. She never reminded my of my stupidity, just stepped in and helped me all she could.

I've had company in small bunches almost all month and have been on my feet way too much. My bad foot is giving me problems. I called a couple week break from company. George was home last week and we bought a new boat Sat, then he left Sun. I spent much of Sun cleaning up the old boat to sell and Mon and Tues running around getting it in for consignment sale and getting the money for the new boat.
    I quit....I'm taking a COUPLE DAYS OFF and I am going to lay around with my leg up and read...sleep & eat junk food!

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

Awww, Bev, I was just thinking about dropping in on you. Hee hee - you know I'm just kidding.

Enjoy your break. I think it needs to be longer than a couple of days!

Sally

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

LOL ...Sally

Bev, you do need to take it easy. It would be bad to hurt your foot and undo all the healing that's already done.

Don't make me have to come down there and ground you, Little Missy!!

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm still at the starting line with my kids. They haven't even reached puberty yet. I hope mine go easier on me! Frankly, I'm not convinced that there is an age to be a "good" mother! I've seen 40yr olds that made horrible moms and teens that did quite well. I think maybe some people are born with the knack, some people have to struggle at it and most are somewhere in between.
    Bev, your poor body! I have some unsolicited advice. If a plane is having problems and the O2 is deployed they always tell people to put their O2 on first then help others struggling with theirs. In other words the best way to help others is to take care of yourself first. I'll stop nagging now.PJ

• Jacquelyn8b
    17 years ago

Pffttt...
    These two uneducated, unlicensed, unemployed kids have decided to 'be together' even if they have to live on the street. Makes me want to throw up.

I told her that we will help her if she needs a place to stay, medical care, prescriptions or food. The final straw was finding 11 pills in her birth control packet. (Didn't tell my DH.)

Anyhow, I'm worn out from dealing with her crap and packing her stuff. It's in the barn and we are bugging out on Friday to hang with our Amigos in New Orleans. Enough trauma-drama!
    She's about to be the big bug on the windshield we (hopefully) get to eventually clean up.

Yeah Bev - take a break, put your tootsies up and relax!

*Thanks for the advice and experience. It sure is hard.
    Love, Jac

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

The hardest time of my life when my kids were teenagers. Just keep saying to yourself over and over "it gets better".

Do you ever wonder if your kids were switched at birth. Where the heck did these aliens come from! lol

I went to Arlington this morning and thought about your DD.

Have fun on your trip.

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

From what I have experienced the last 2 weeks it doesn't get better, just different worries
    (((Jac))) enjoy your trip

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

Jac, you just reminded me that when DH and I got married, neither of us had a job. My poor parents - what they must have been thinking. The truth of it was that I had gone through some pretty bad boyfriends, and the one I ended up marrying was one they actually liked. They were tickled I picked him to marry. My DH was shocked they liked him, since he had long hair. Oh, those were the days. That was nearly 30 years ago. (I guess I already mentioned that.)

Oh Jac, I hope you have fun on your trip.

Sally

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wanna hear my story? Everyone thought my DH was "too nice" for me! How does that make me look? I'm not sure what they thought I was going to do to this day. I was pretty much a homebody with a little kid. So no running off to wild parties while he stayed home to babysit. Sell him into slavery? Use him for a Martial Arts dummy?(He outweighs me by 60lbs and is pretty darn quick. THAT wouldn't work!)Make him dig flower beds all day?
    After a decade now I guess they've decided I'm not going to lure him into a mysterious forest and feed him to the cannabils. My dad adores him and it makes for nice family time. We're still in school and all so money is still tight right now. It's been fun tho. We're so opposite you'd think we'd have nothing in common but it's a nice match I think.PJ