Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pjtexgirl

outdoor cats...speaking of unmonitored animals

pjtexgirl
16 years ago

There is a controversy about indoor/outdoor cats. I believe cats should only be in the house or cat fenced. I believe cats are domesticated and need the same protection as dogs. That's my personal opinion. A situation I encounterd recently is one of my reasons why. I'm just putting this out there and not trying to judge anyone.

I own a cat that was an "outdoor" cat in the neighborhood of one of my clients. She is a sweet Mainecoon cat. She uses her box except the occasional detour in the bathtub. I can personally live with that because it's easy to disinfect. We trim the nails so she can't wreck the furniture.

Here's the story of how I ended up with this cat. Kitty is extraordinarily cat aggressive. This "outside"kitty was literally tearing off my client's window screens to get at her indoor kitties.This kitty LOVES flowerbeds,grass and container gardens for doing her "bussiness".She really gets into digging around. This kitty was tearing up my clients flowerbed,spotting the grass(she'd go there too like a dog!) and destroying potted plants completely. I mean my client's potted plants were dying. Replacing window screens is a pricey PITA,my client's cats were becoming stressed by the "crazy cat" trying to get at them, and my client couldn't open the windows for a breeze on a cool day! It was maddness. I'll bet the owners of this lovely cat had NO CLUE what was happening with their cat.

My client's DH set down the law. The cat gets trapped and sent off to the shelter. If the cat comes back and continues wrecking the house it's getting euthanized. So I took the cat and she is now in my house doing fine. She never encounters other cats(she is an only cat here),she's not in danger from angry neighbors, and she's no longer at risk for dog attacks or cars hitting her. Just a thought.PJ

Comments (14)

• stephanieftx
    16 years ago

Many cats do best in a one cat only situation where they don't feel like they have to fight or defend their territory. Bless you for taking in that poor animal. Seems like she's blossoming in your home.

Stephanie

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Yes, PJ, bless you. My situation is a little different, and I am not trying to defend it, but I have so many strays dropped off here in the country that I would never be able to bring them all inside. I do the best I can for them - neutering, shots,etc. - but then they do have to live outside. I have heated igloos for them in the winter, and they are quite comfortable, but inside is just out of the question for me.

• scuba-gal
    16 years ago

I can see it from both perspectives. Living in the city - I would never choose to have an outdoor cat as a pet. I did feed a stay outdoors for about a year until recently..but I didn't pick that pet, it picked me. If I lived in the country - I'm sure I'd have an outdoor cat or 2...but to me it just the difference in areas. I wouldn't be infringing on neightbors - like it would here in the city.
    Just my thoughts...
    Angie

• denisew
    16 years ago

Sounds like my mother's cat. She is absolutely the nastiest cat when I'm around and I love cats. She hates me. I can't even pick her up because of her hissing and attempts to bite me. We found out she prefers men and she can only be the only cat in their house. She loves my mom's husband. Aside for her nastiness . . . They had a neighbor's cat who was hanging around outside their windows. My mom's cat, Molly, would get angry and she would hit the windows so hard that she set off the house alarm. Once that cat was at their front door when they opened it and Molly went to attack it and my mom's husband stuck his foot in the way to stop her and she bit his toe - got infected and he had to go to the doctor. It is nuts why people can't keep their cats indoors. They are a domestic pet - not part of our native wildlife.

On the other hand, for someone who has a barn and has mice, then having a few cats to keep the mice under control is another story. And, in situations like Carrie has with people dropping off cats in the country - shame on those who drop them off and bless those who do the best they can to care for those poor cats. Carrie - It sounds like you're doing such a good job taking care of all those strays. For people who live in the city, they should keep their cats indoors - no ifs, ands or buts.

• kateyes
    16 years ago

I totally agree with PJ...and Carrie. It depends on where you live.

I have fits everyday (my DH heads inside when he hears me say the word "cat") because the neighborhood cats poop and dig and lie around in my flower beds, killing and flattening my plants. I always wear gloves for this specific reason - eeeww!! Also, they kill my lizards, toads and birds. I get sooooo mad!! And then there's the occasional cat that gets creamed by a car (no matter how mad I get at them, I can't stand that to happen!!). I think that's irresponsible and cruel on the owner's part.

Actually, it's the owners I get angry with. I think it's inconsiderate to allow your animal to run loose in a close neighborhood. I have threatened to take my dogs (I have two very large Rotties) walking around to every neighbor with a cat running loose, and let them poop in their gardens a few times......my DH doesn't like this idea. :-)

It's just so frustrating to work so hard, spend your hard-earned money, and have someone "invade your space" and destroy that time, effort and money.

I've had cats too. They stayed inside (no de-clawing!!) and were very healthy happy animals. I did have them spayed/neutered which probably helped with the "urge to roam". And they were best buds with the dogs. My vet (he's awesome!) has always told me that indoor pets (especially cats) live longer lives.

Anyhoo...this is one of my biggest pet peeves - no pun intended!! :-)

Kat

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I agree with Carrie too. Feral cat colonies are a whole other ball of wax! You can't bring em in.They have no house manners. You can't get rid of them even with trapping.They'll be replaced by more strays if you're in a dumping spot.I agree Carrie is doing a great thing with the strays!
    denisew, I can't imagine keeping such a psycho cat when there are so many cats that are nice that need good homes! There is something wrong with that animal yikes!!! PJ

• justintx
    16 years ago

pj,
    You're very kind.
    (I'm still not allowed to say C**, am I?)
    ; - )
    J.D.

• carrie751
    16 years ago

JD, I thought you would stay out of this one ----LOL. No, I think you are NOT allowed !!!!!

• little_dani
    16 years ago

I have 2 cats, a spayed female, 18 years old, and a neutered male 4 years old. They are indoor/outdoor cats. My fault, I just cannot stand a litter box in my house.

We have a hotwire around the yard, and they do respect it. Believe it or not, they do stay in our yard. Otherwise, they would not be able to go outside.

We put the hotwire up to keep dogs out of our yard, and away from our cats. It was a bonus that it would keep the cats in the yard.

They are both hunters, but the old girl is getting so old she would just rather I bring dinner to her. The male has never had to depend on catching his own supper, so he isn't compulsive about it now.

I just don't understand the deal with some people and animals. When we take an animal, it becomes part of our family. Our dogs and cats live a long time. Our old puppies are 14 now, and we lost a boxer at the ripe old age of 16. It is a committment, we know it when we take them.

I would not have it any other way. I wonder if people who are so casual about animals know what they are missing?

Janie

• justintx
    16 years ago

Carrie - yes ma'am.
    ; - (

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Carrie be nice now!
    I have so many animals that are now getting old too. I have 3 lizards,a bird and a dog that are over or getting close to 10 yrs old. The youngest animals I have are the chickens. They're a year and a half. Everything else is at least 5. PJ

• PKponder TX Z7B
    16 years ago

PJ,
    What kind of lizard do you have? I know you told me before, but I have just forgotten. We lost our 14 year old tokay just before the move to Granbury. We are thinking about getting an iguana for our children to raise ;-)

Pam

• carrie751
    16 years ago

I am always nice, PJ - just trying to save JD some heartache - you know !!!!

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Likely story Ms. Carry! LOL!
    I have a gieco gecko(well...a really,really close cousin)Instead of a Giant Day Gecko(gieco) It's a Standing's Giant Day Gecko both are from Matagascar,Africa.
    I have two common lizards as well. A Bearded Dragon and a Leopard Gecko. I've owned Tokays and Iguanas as well. IMHO, Iguanas are dangerous. I have a 15 stitch scar from an Iguana the only animal quick enough,impossible to read enough and strong enough to have EVER given me stitches. I worked with a lot of animals that are quick and strong but as unpredictable as animals can be,nothing touches the speed of a reptile.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?