Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rick_mcdaniel

Survey Says?

rick_mcdaniel
17 years ago

Ok, this is for all you gals.....

Does anyone know of anyone (female) who actually looks good in the low rider jeans?

Just curious, as photogs have raised the issue lately. There is even a new word coined for them....."muffin tops", to describe the overflow of the waistband. (smile) Supposed to kinda resemble the overflow of the top of a muffin, down over the muffin cup.

Yeah......we know it is hard to find anything else in the stores....but there is always "boycott" you know.

Comments (39)

• User
    17 years ago

Yes, 12 year olds with 10% body fat. :o)

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Anyone who works out a LOT.PJ

• beachplant
    17 years ago

OK, even the girl that works out a lot doesn't look all that hot with the hoetag on her butt, the thong underwear sticking out or even worse her crack showing! They looked bad in the 70's and they look bad now. They are actually, finally going out of style according to all the fashion mags.
    Tally HO!

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

LOL, Personally? No but I feel so *hip* now because I actually know what a muffin top is, hehehehe
    I liked the hip huggers in the seventies but I always had a shirt *tucked* into them

• rick_mcdaniel
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Photogs will rejoice to hear they are going out of style. We are tired of retouching out the overflow.

• Bev__
    17 years ago

When I wore them back in the late 60's-early 70's I had a small waist and smallish hips and wore them with a "poor boy" shirt tucked in with big belts. Heavier women were smart enough not to wear them, at least I don't remember bigger gals wearing them.

The girls with the big rolls in hiphuggers & short tight shirts must not look in the mirror. Fat is not pretty or sexy, why do they dress like that? I'd be embarrassed exposing my fat like that.

Along the same thought....have you noticed that so many young boys & girls are very overweight? I see so many young girls with babies that are way overweight. (of course in hiphuggers & short tight tops)

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

News channels and reports have been overflowing with stories about the crisis of over weight kids these days. My kids were always too skinny. My dd, at the age of 21, has finally made it to triple digits in her weight, but just barely.

OMG, the other day I had the unfortunate experience of being behind a young woman squatting down and bending over. Well, all I can say is she looked like a plumber. I have no idea if she was aware of the problem, but I didn't say a thing, since I didn't know her.

I am fashionally challenged, so I can't say I've ever even paid attention to who might look good in those jeans. Since you airbrush the flaws out, the super models always look good. When my t-shirts get too many holes in them to be decent, I get a few more. Same with my blue jeans. I go to thrift stores for those, or sometimes buy them at a big box store, but they're so much cheaper at the thrift store. Oh well, I digress.

Sally

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Hey Sally! Do you find something that looks good,is comfortable so you go out and buy one in every color so you wont have to shop for awhile? PJ

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

I hadn't thought of that. It's kind of hard to find multiples of the same thing at thrift stores, but at the box stores that's an idea. Actually, I think I have done that. I even go one further than that. They have bobby socks in the little girls department that are the same size as adult socks, but cheaper. They are real soft and comfy, so I buy 6 packs or 8 packs, or whatever they have at the time. They are all white, so it makes folding them easy. I don't have to worry about matching. How's that for high fashion? lol My co-worker, who's really into cute socks, just doesn't understand me. ;-)

Sally

• zitro_joe
    17 years ago

My wife looks great in a pair of low raise jeans. It's not really her style to show off her stomach though, and now that we are expecting child #2 her clothing style is changing completely.

Joe

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

You are so sweet Joe! *Sigh* I always felt maternity clothes left something to be desired. So, I commandeered my DH's clothes instead. I only got a maternity Christmas/New Year's dress.
    Sally, I wish I could wear clothes from a thrift shop! I'm almost always too tall,too big or too little! Maybe I wear a very common size. Want to hear my sad sock story? My feet are too big for women's sizes so I get 6pac small men's crew socks. How's that for sexy???
    I'm wondering how these kids are getting fat. My boys look like they are sticks and they eat like cows! Maybe it's the hyperactivity? I limit their time with the media. Back in California anorexia is still popular. Most girls start going to the gym regularly around 13 or 14. It was a surprise to see lots of teenage girls that didn't look like they'd fall down a street grate. They might not want to wear what's popular in the anorexic crowd tho. PJ

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Beachplant, it's not "hoe tag" it's "tramp stamp" Geez....LOL!PJ

• mikeandbarb
    17 years ago

Many Many Many moons ago I worn hip huggers but like everyone else I wore a blouse tucked in. I wasn't one for showing skin or my body off even though I had a good body not great LOL. At the time I thought I was fat HAHAHAHA 5' 2' 110 pounds GEEEEZZZZ
    Now after having female surgery I can't stand anything tight on my stomach.
    OMG, Not long ago I was driving down main street close to the stockyards and there was this huge lady in the low riding jean and a tong showing, she weighted around 300 pounds talk about loosing your breakfast, does one like that really think they look good???????

• Bev__
    17 years ago

Barb......I have a similar problem. I've had 4 surgurys where one of the incisions was in my belly button. I can't stand to have any thing touching my belly button. It's very painful and the last incision there was over 2 years ago. It doesn't hurt at all, only when there is pressure on it. Wierd!

• stitches216
    17 years ago

Muffin tops and tramp stamps - yeeeeICK!

If I was a photographer, I'd use up all my film on shots of DW in knee-length capris...ahhh, that is one HOT look! Shoot! Just thinkin' about that makes me sure I don't have to worry if I forget to take today's little blue pill!

• mikeandbarb
    17 years ago

I have a few knee-length capris...BUT they aren't keen high on me there like ankle high LOL it's hard to find clothes to fit a short full rounded gal. PJ Been there done that when I find tops I like I buy many colors LOL.
    At my age so long as the clothes are clean and look decent is fine with me anymore.
    DH brought home a Tee shirt from work for me that TWA passed around to everyone last week and he was able to get one of the ladies T's, when he brought home his Tee last week he said he like the ladies much better, it has Rosie the riveter on it LOL. It will make a good gardening Tee hehehehehe. Bless his heart anyway.

• patsy_b
    17 years ago

I have been seeing very pregnant girls lately that are wearing pants tucked under their tummy with short tees on. Is that the fashion now? I think pregnancy is beautiful but more so with a little more covering. Guess I am just too old for todays fashions. So many of the adds for little girls like my g-daughters (8 aand 5) clothes look like they were designed for street walkers.

Is my age showing????????

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Rosie the riveter. That's high fashion there! LOL!
    I'm with Patsy, tight clothes/sexy clothes look funny on a pregnant women. Uncomfortable too. There is just no way I'd have worn tight clothes.
    I've complained about little girl "hooker clothes" since I can remember seeing them. In my old neighborhood there was a shirt on an 11 yr old that had a sexual innuedo printed on the front. She caught my disapproving look. She asked me what I thought. I said I couldn't imagine why such a beautiful girl would want to wear such and ugly shirt with a message that wasn't really nice for anyone to wear much less a beautiful young lady. I never saw it on her again.
    At Walmart I saw a matching leopard print mini and 1/2 shirt that was small enough for a 1st or 2nd grader. It was all I could do not to yank it down and cut it up! Ewwww!PJ

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

Quite tactful, PJ.

When Joe brought up his wife expecting, and having to change her style, it reminded me of the women I've seen on tv, such as the news anchors, that are wearing those tight maternaty clothes. I asked DH if he'd noticed it, too, and he has. I don't know what to think of it. I kind of like it, but I think it's just another one of those fashions that only people with perfect bodies, and perfect pregnant bodies, can wear.

I kind of feel sorry for those girls that are plump or down right large. There is constant pressure to be skinny, especially with all the anorexic actresses out there, now, and the fashions are made for skinny bodies. What are you supposed to do if you are a real person with a real body? You're stuck either buying the current fashions cause you want to fit in with your friends, (if that matters to you - it never did with my kids) or you have to shop for clothes that are dull and boring, but look good on you. I bet it's a real dilema for girls these days. Well, I guess fashion has never actually been for real people, though.

Barb, you probably already know this, but many shops have petite sections - some better than others. They are geared to women that are 5'4" or shorter. I think there's a fair range of sizes. I'm the same height as you, so I have to look for petite sizes.

• beachplant
    17 years ago

The girls apparently like the term tramp stamp but not hoe tag so that's what the counselors are going with. Per the school nurse.
    I buy all my clothes from my favorite boutique, The Womens Crisis Center Thrift Store! Get a lot of compliments when I'm not in my garden clothes. Then I get offered money from people that think I'm homeless!!
    Hmm, maybe a new career, lol!
    When I was young and a size 1 I bought all my clothes from the kids department, only thing that fit, bought them from the kids department until well into my thirties. Then kids clothing LOOKED like kids clothing. Now you can dress your 2 year old like a slut. WHY!
    Ever since Demi Moore posed naked & preggo EVERYONE thinks they look hot when they are pregnant. Or they don't have a mirror, I'm not sure which is the case but either way it is GROSS. And while I think you should breast feed do ya have to whip out your boob at the restaurant and give us all a great view while we eat? Or walk on the beach?
    Survey says:
    We don't want to see your body parts!
    Tally hO!

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Wow, my school nurse was nice. All she ever did was discreetly hand out sexual education material. I can't imagine her popping out with "hoe" in any context. School conselors or the nurse would've been fired for using that term on anything found on anyone. Texas is really different. I think breast feeding is natural and never could figure out why anyone thought of it as a big deal. Breast feeding is considered a educated thing to do in California. Maybe it's the European influence?
    I think I'm motivated to try thrift stores again. Recycling and helping people in need is good.PJ

• patsy_b
    17 years ago

I too visit the thrift stores. Can wear the clothes for a little while, redonate them and get some more. There is a hospice thrift near me that sells clothes l0 for $5. Near one of the more expensive colleges so they have lots of current fashions. I rarely find 10 pieces but even so it is quite a deal even if you only find a couple.
    Patsy

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

When my sons were in middle school, and had a formal dance, we went to the New Beginnings thrift store, which is also a thrift store that supports an abused women center. Anyway, they had suits for $10 each. If it weren't for that, we couldn't afford to buy them the suits they needed for the dance. It's great - support a great cause and save money, too.

I guess this is a long way from hip-huggers, huh.

Sally

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

How much can you say about ONE thing? Staying on topic is highly overrated! LOL!PJ

• beachplant
    17 years ago

I've nothing against breast feeding, I'm all for it. I just don't want to look at a boob while I'm at dinner. It isn't necessary to undress yourself at a restaurant. I swear, this lady had a dress that the top just folded down. While at a fairly expensive restaurant, just as our dinner arrived she folded down her dress and flopped out both breasts, stuck the kid on one and sat there topless while she ate. YUCK!
    Tally HO!

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

Maybe she ordered a salad without dressing! hee hee.

Sally

• owensgirl
    17 years ago

I find this interesting- what exactly is offensive about tight maternity clothes? Being 40 weeks pregnant-with another week to go according to the doctor, sigh- I can tell you the LAST thing I want is to be swathed in a ton of extra fabric in the Texas heat. And no, tailored and fitted maternity wear is not uncomfortable at all, it is actually very comfy. I am prudish enough not to like the exposed pregnant belly look-even went so far as to get the special pregnancy tankini for when I swim-but I don't think there is any reason for pregnant women to go around wearing dresses that look like circus tents like in days gone by. I think the main change in maternity fashion has been to more closely align with normal fashion-no need to suddenly start wearing floral dresses with sailor collars anymore if that isn't your thing. And for the record, that should be no ones thing!

As for breast feeding in public-what is so hard about draping a blanket or shawl over yourself?! And don't say it would get to hot- I have a light seersucker blanket that I'll use for that exact purpose. There is no need to be so in your face about it even if it is a natural process. And lets face it, no one wants to look at big, veiny, stretchmarked boobs with a kid attached anyway! Keep 'em to yourself!

• owensgirl
    17 years ago

I guess this is one good thing about the baby being most active at night till 4:30am- I finally get to catch up on what's happening on Gardenweb! Crazy little bugger-is she doing somersaults in there!? Oh, and we're naming her Lily, how's that for a gardener's child? haha

2:30 am, only 2 more hours to go till this baby lets me get some sleep!

• Bev__
    17 years ago

owensgirl......hope she doesn't keep you up all nite after her Arrival. She may be developing into a night person!!!
    As you can see, I can't sleep at night. My mother & uncle couldn't sleep at night either. It's a curse!

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

I have a neice called Lily. Her name is Beverly, but her older brother called he his lily sister and that nick name stuck.

• Jacquelyn8b
    17 years ago

Lily is a beautiful name! I don't remember being able to take a deep breath, fit behind a steering wheel or pass my DH in the hall at 40 weeks!

I'm a big believer in discretion. There is no reason to be captive in a loud, dirty public bathroom in order to feed the baby. A light cloth &/or a quiet area is more than enough to provide some privacy.

Pregancy is a time to be enjoyed and the Mom-to-be naturally looks gorgeous. There is no reason to hide under bolts of fabric - buy and wear whatever makes you (mom) comfortable! Although, I admit worrying when there is too much direct light. I mean, where can they go to shield their little eyes? Fetal sunglasses? (Mother Hen strikes again!)

Pants that sit below the belly button are just fine. My short waisted mom loves hers by Eddie Bauer.
    Really, really low cut pants look awkward at best.
    What folks used to pay to see - I'd pay to avoid!

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

My daughter can wear about anything and look great but she works out all the time.

Lily is a precious name. Good luck with the new baby owensgirl.

The thing I hate to see is guys wearing pants that are about to fall down.

We saw a man at the airport trying to pay for something and he had to hold his pants up while he was paying.

It's pretty bad when you have to actually hold your pants up and we didn't care to see his boxers either.

• rick_mcdaniel
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Interesting digressions here, from the original topic.

First, big stomachs go with the territory of pregnancy, and whether covered or not, there is no reason to find them a problem, irregardless of attire. Like babies themselves, it is simple biology (how we can perceive babies as miracles is another issue), and biology is something we should be embracing, rather then finding "unmentionable".

Nursing babies, is simply a function of motherhood, for most, and entirely too much fuss is made of it.

Sorry, but I see puritanical aspects to some of the comments, and I place those in the same basket as all religious extremism, along with Islamic Jihad.

However, I will agree, that nursing in public should include a lightweight drape, to make it palatable for everyone, yet, momentary flashes should not be considered objectionable. I also agree that rest rooms are not the best place to find privacy, much less sanitation.

On the other hand, I am not an advocate of babies in the first place, as the entire world's resources are severely strained by burgeoning populations, everywhere. That's what happens, when you allow religion to speak ahead of science.

Having babies should be an activity of responsibility, and not one of fashionability. I find it incredible, that people who cannot even support themselves, are having babies, just because it is "popular". No one will suffer more, than the children themselves, from being brought into a world, where they are not properly cared nor provided for.

I cite the example of a post presented here, which I will simply mention.....in that a young mother (unmarried?) was ignoring her own responsibilities as a parent, and a grandmother was being expected to raise her child, while she went out and partied half the night!

(I won't even get into the divorce rate and the psychological issues created in children in such situations.)

Yet, everyone is complaining about property taxes......and the vast majority of those funds go to fund schools for the children, that everyone seems to think they should be entitled to have. Perhaps everyone should be forced to go back to the old method of school funding......where parents had to group together in the community to pay for a school building, and a school teacher, along with all other costs of maintaining and equipping the school, and educating the students. Perhaps that might make people wake up to their true financial responsibilities of child bearing.

Someone please explain to me, where the world went insane?

• zitro_joe
    17 years ago

Rick,

"That's what happens, when you allow religion to speak ahead of science."

I couldnÂt disagree more. I know that there are few religions out there that promote 'populating' the earth with their own, but..I believe the overwhelming population increases is due to people only knowing the science behind the baby making. You already stated the main problem, lack of responsibility.

I have two opposite ends of the spectrum in my family, religious and non-religious (atheist). The religious part of my family all have 1 or 2 kids, they all live within their means and have the full financial capability to support their family.

The non-religious side, background: all of them believe the science of life and evolution. Out of six families there are 28 kids Four of them are on some sort of assistance and none of them have completed any scientific procedures to stop more babies from coming.

I am sure what we all have stories that can discredit both situations I have in my family, but that is exactly my point. The problem/ solution isnÂt someoneÂs belief in science or religion, it is their personal concern for responsibility. Responsibility is character trait that is learned from having a good role model, now thatÂs a whole other can of worms.

Joe

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Funny, we were having a similar discussion at DD's house on the cover of Baby Talk magazine is a baby nursing.
    I don't have a problem with Mothers feeding their babies, that's what they are supposed to do, I too don't think they should just whip them out, lol
    I do think you see more of the breast at the beach or swimming pool than you would see while a baby is eating.
    When I was younger, I never thought twice about seeing an aunt or older cousin nursing their babies.
    As far as maternity clothes, thank goodness women don't have to wear tents anymore, lol
    I would never be able to walkaround showing my pregnant belly (because of upbringing, I'm sure) but I don't have a problem seeing one. I always immediately think, " Awww, someone is getting a new baby"
    Having babies.....I just wish that some would be more responsible getting pregnant and taking care of the babies when they have them

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

We all agree on ONE thing! Be responsible for you children. Rich people can be the most neglegent parents around. For example, my ex lives in a 1/2 million dollar house in Simi Valley. He and his wife have high paying jobs. He's never bothered to buy his son a stick of furniture in 12 years.Not even a cheapie/used bed to sleep on while staying there.Just a sleeping bag.He pays very little child support. That is why I was able to bring him to Texas with me. My first kid was planned. My second wasn't. My second child has a much easier life than my first. His dad isn't a lying jerk.My DH and I are now on a very tight budget. We've even lived in a bad area for awhile. I just looked after them extra hard and they led normal lives. I wanted kids. I will always find a way to get them what they need. It's all in the heart not the wallet. Overpopulation wouldn't be a problem if people lived and acted responsibly. PJ

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

Wow, this conversation really has morphed, hasn't it.

I commented on the tight maternatiy clothes, but I don't remember passing judgment on them, other than being undecided about them. Like all tight clothes, you need a good body to wear them.

I got a couple of blouses made just for nursing when I had nursing babies, and found that I didn't like them at all. They opened from the top, which is much less discreet than lifting the shirt or blouse from the bottom. You can nurse a baby that way without anyone even noticing much at all. I also noticed that the longer I nursed, the more casual I got about it. By the time baby # 3 came along I lost all self conciousness about it. Not that I flashed anyone, but I was more interested in getting her fed than I was in offending anyone.

Owensgirl, I wish you all the best. I had 3 kids, 2 in August and one in September. My oldest was born in 1980, so I went through one of the hottest summers on record during my last tri-mester. On the hottest day, when it got up to 113 degrees, the power went out. I filled up the bathtub and just sat in it till the power came back on. Whew. I sure feel sorry for you going through this heat right now. Then, nursing was even actually even worse while it was hot. It was worth it, though.

Over population is most definately a problem, but over consumption is more of a problem in this country.

Sally

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

Sally, my son was also a baby in 1980 and I remember it well. We played in the tub when the power went out too.

Isn't it a small world?

This summer is hot but it's hard to top the heat of 1980.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Glad I got here now that it's cooler.....LOL!PJ

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida