Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pjtexgirl

Adults!!!!

pjtexgirl
16 years ago

I was in the grocery store today with Roe my youngest son (The kid in the bobcat on the "donate a plant" thread). Roe was riding on the bottom of the cart happily pushing the objects above and laughing. All was well in grocery store land.

This nutty old lady came up and informed us that "big boys don't ride in the basket...they help mom push!" I asked Roe if he wanted to push. He got his silly look and said no. The crazy old lady asked him if he was a baby. Roe,of course, didn't answer. Autistic children are not big on talking to strangers. She sure was strange too! Anyway she kept at it for awhile not catching on that Roe acted differently than most children his age/size. She walked away saying "baby baby baby" (I guess to embarrass him if could he actually figure out what she was saying?)This wierd lady never even noticed that he never said(like most children would have)"I'm not a baby". He just made buzzing noises and tuned her out. I never did tell her he has PDD(mild autism) and just walked of thinking,"I will NEVER complain to God about my relatives again! I've been spared that crazy lady!!!" What a wacko! PJ

Comments (27)

• rick_mcdaniel
    16 years ago

Nah. PEOPLE!!!!!

• remuda1
    16 years ago

Well PJ....I guess some people are just so focused on what they want (this woman wanted to get her point across to your son) that they can't *see* past their own thoughts.

Does anyone know if it's a full moon? Young and old seem to be being affected!

Kristi

• justintx
    16 years ago

Evidence of the lack of graciousness. Sad story - lady, er, uh, person, that is.
    J.D.

• sally2_gw
    16 years ago

How dare that lady behave that way! Sheesh! I've never had anyone speak that rudely to my kids, at least that I'm aware of, but there was a dressing room attendant that was just clueless. When DD was, oh, I don't remember exactly how old, but probably 6 or 7 or 8, we went shopping at one of those stores that sell name brands for less. Anyway, DD and I were discussing which dresses she liked the best. The attendant told me that a child her age should not be given a choice, that she is too young to be making decisions and that she should go along with what I said. Well, I thought that was one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. I don't exactly remember what I said back to her, but it was something along the lines of if she doesn't learn to make decisions now, how is she going to make them when she gets older?

Do those of you with kids find that the "smartest" people regards child rearing are those that don't have children? They seem to be the fullest of advice of what you should or should have done, and know so much more than you do regards how to raise your child.

Sally

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

"Do those of you with kids find that the "smartest" people regards child rearing are those that don't have children? They seem to be the fullest of advice of what you should or should have done, and know so much more than you do regards how to raise your child."

Yep! Always amazed me! If they had any clue how stupid they sounded.... PJ

• gabriell_gw
    16 years ago

I'm sorry to hear what happened to you and your son. It is hard to believe just how rude some people can be!

• justintx
    16 years ago

Sally / PJ
    Amen!
    J.D.

• denisew
    16 years ago

Yeah, I heard a story recently of an older lady who complained to a young mother who had her two year old with her at a Starbuck's to shut her kid up. She had been keeping him occupied with his little toy cars while she relaxed a bit and had a cup of coffee. He was making some "car sounds" - what any typical two year old boy would do and she made sure he kept the noise down the best she could, but I guess this lady was having a bad day and it got on her nerves. I think that when people get older, they forget about what it is like to have a little one at their feet so think that all children are a nuisance and have a need to instruct the parents on "proper parenting."

I think this lady may have been trying to help but obviously you didn't need help and she couldn't see that. She may also have her own issues and it may have been a bad day for her for whatever reason - we'll never know. Or maybe it was simply bad manners. She could just be one of those rude people who will say anything to attempt to correct something she sees wrong with the world.

So, this is just another example to show us we should be patient with others and forgive them for the things they might say that hurt us instead of getting upset about it. Isn't that what God wants us to do - to forgive one another?

• Bev__
    16 years ago

When my mom was full of cancer, including her brain, she did a lot of odd things. She couldn't help it.
    Towards the end we were grocery shopping, now my mom also looked odd...she was bald,(she was wearing a scarf thing) no eyebrows or eyelashes from chemo, her face was round from I think it was prednesone, her eyes watered as if she as crying, but had a weird brightness, her coloring was yellowish & she sat in her wheelchair bent forward because it hurt her to sit up. People & kids stared at her and she tried to ignore it, she enjoyed getting out of the house. This day a kid, maybe 8-10 really kept staring at her and following us...mom was cool with it. The kid kept it up and made faces at mom. She whipped off her scarf an actually cackled at him. The boy ran off crying. I was kind of proud of mom. Maybe it was rude, but I don't think that kid will stare at or ridicule another "abnormal" person again. I expected a parent to come yelling at us. We laughed about what she did all the way home.
    That was the last time my mom ever left her house, she died at home 6 days later.

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The more I think back on it I think there was something very strange about this lady. I think maybe she had the first stages of some organic brain disorder(dementia etc...)One of the first things to go is inhibitions/socially acceptable behaviors. The little voice in my head told me not to give her a hard time and to let it slide. Roe wasn't upset so I wasn't that ticked. She was acting really wierd. PJ

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

Hug's to you PJ and Roe. The lady at the store sounds like something my mom would do I use to crawl anyway from embarrassment of the thing's she'd say or do in public and there was nothing wrong with her mind she was just out spoken and could be mean to people that had kids :(

• sally2_gw
    16 years ago

It hadn't occured to me the lady might have had dementia. That would explain a lot.

It's great that your mom had such a sense of humor right up to the end. She sounds like she was a neat person.

Sally

• carolann_z8
    16 years ago

PJ, was the lady a blonde? lol

For some reason people are always telling me dumb things that blondes do.

I never get that.
    ...Hummmmm

• honeybunny2 Fox
    16 years ago

PJ, when my daugher was in kindergarden, she only had school until 12 noon, I would pick her up on Fridays, and we would go grocery shopping. One Friday, an old man went up to her and started shouting at her " You should be in school" she tried to tell him that she had already been to school. I went up to him and gave him a piece of my mind, he did not believe that she was only 5 years old. This old man really upset me, I wish I had the patience you have. Barbra,

• little_dani
    16 years ago

I am not good with children who are brats, but it doesn't sound like your kiddo is a brat. I think children are usually brats because a.) they are looking for attention, b.) they can get away with it, or c.) Mama just don't care.

My DD was sooooooooo thrilled when she had her first one. She/We had been told when she was 15 that she would probably never be able to have children. And that was all she had ever wanted, to be a Mom and have a nice Family.

So, when she got the Miracle Child, she let her do whatever she wanted, where ever she wanted. I told her that she wasn't doing Dani any favors letting her act like that. People wouldn't like her, and it was beginning to turn into that situation.

Well, Modern Medicine being what it is, she had another little darling Miracle child. Things were about the same, but now Mama had a pinched look on her face.

When the second one was 4 months old, DD learned that she was to have ANOTHER Miracle Child, and this one without Modern Medicine helping/interferring. LOLOLOL

Life turned off a lot different when the third one showed up.

Snork. DD could crack that whip, get those little dumplings in line with a look. I just loved it. And people do like her children, now. I even like them. Heheehe.

I am only saying this because I can see both sides of this. The crazy lady bothering your little one, I would have been in her face probably. You must have the patience of Job.

LOL, Bev, good for your Mom. Those kinds of opportunities don't come around all that often. I am glad she did that, maybe she taught that child a lesson.

My friend Pat is going through Chemo, and had lost all her hair. She was very careful to not let the Grands see her without her wig. One day her DGS surprised her, came busting in the house with no warning. She was sitting without her wig, no covering on her head. The kid just let out a whistle and said "Cool DO, Gramma!", and gave her a hug.

I agree with Rick. PEOPLE!

Janie

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Actually, this is only the second time I've gotten grief for my kids. Not too bad! LOL! The first time my 13yr old was a toddler. He was on a kiddie leash that he didn't like. We were traveling from CA to LA(state)to visit my sister. We were at a truck stop type set up. Killian was pitching a fit about that leash! I was more terrified he'd become part of the grill work on a Mac truck than his feelings! Those trucks and people in cars were FLYING through the parking lot. We were all cranky and tired.
    Out of nowhere,this ***** came up and started giving me hell about "torturing my child and treating him like an animal" I just couldn't believe it! She threatened to call the police.There happened to be two cop cars at one of the restaurants(it was a big stop) I pointed to the cop cars and screamed,"Dammit lady! Can't you see the (bleep bleep bleeep) cars and trucks tearing through here??? Are you (bleep bleep bleep) ing insane??? There are some cops right there! Go b*tch out your crazy talk to them! I'll bet they've seen a few kids squished and would have no problem with me making sure he can't get away! You(bleep)(bleep)" Did I mention we were all tired and cranky? This lady did not go talk to the cops. She got in her car,hit the gas and tore out of the parking lot at top speed. How ironic!
    The crazy old lady at the store gave me reason to believe something was wrong with her on some level(can't explain). The crazy ***** at the truck stop was just a plain old *****. Patience of Job! I wish!!!
    Little Dani, that grandkid was funny LOL!
    Carol! She did dye her hair blonde! LOLOLOL! PJ

• sally2_gw
    16 years ago

Janie, that's such a wonderful story. You ought to send it to Reader's Digest.

PJ, some people are just clueless. I used those leashes with my kids sometimes, but gave up on them because they don't come with steering wheels. ;-) They've actually been around quite some time. When my siblings and I were very young my mother used those leashes on us. She had a friend that was a cartoonist. This cartoonist drew and published a cartoon featuring my mother with us three kids at a china shop, tugging hard on our leashes and reaching out towards all the breakables. The clerks were standing around ignoring my mother who is shown speaking to the clerks. The caption reads, "Well, do I get waited on, or do I turn the children loose?" It was really a clever cartoon, drawn in the early 60's with that early 60's style.

Sally

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I agree about Janie's story! That's about how it goes! LOL!
    Sally, I would pay good money for that shirt. It says how I feel sometimes! PJ

• sally2_gw
    16 years ago

What shirt?

Sally

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry a shirt with the caption that says,"Well, do I get waited on, or do I turn the children loose?" LOL!!! PJ

• sally2_gw
    16 years ago

Oh, yeah. It hadn't occured to me it would make a good t-shirt.

Sally

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That's because you're nice! :^) PJ

• sally2_gw
    16 years ago

Awwww, shucks.

Sally

• pricklypearsatx
    16 years ago

PJ:

I'm really sorry about the rude lady.

There are some people who are of the old "school of thought". Even if they knew a child had a problem, they would probably think that in the right environment, the child would "snap out of it".

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yep! That is true! Thanx :^) PJ

• toadlilly
    16 years ago

PJ what a good example you set for you son. Send blessings to that woman, apparently she needs them, as do others in her path. Don't let her spoil what you have, what you are. Grumble a little, then give it to God, sounds like He needs some one on one time with her. Yea for you son to recognize mom's in control, and PJ you were and are-(((hugs))) CJ

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks T.Lily :^) PJ