Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rain! Wind!

Posted by beachplant 9b (beachplant@excite.com) on
Thu, Jul 27, 06 at 17:29

We had winds gusting up to 50mph the past couple of days thanks to that low. Also got around 5" of rain. I spent the better part of the morning trying to clear up the mess by the front gate. The poinciana tree had a HUGE branch broken off, this fell on the thevetia causing a huge branch to almost touch the ground. Growing in, on and through all of these are a passionflower and a butterfly vine. Of course it is all 6-12' up in the air. Got the polesaw but then the branches were stuck in the vines and wouldn't come down. Pulling on the mess caused the arch the butterfly vine is on to come up and over. FINALLY after 3 hours got a path cleared. There are still some limbs about 15' up that I can't reach tangled in the vines.
The pecan has some decent size branches hanging up in the air and the ground is covered with leaves.
Hackberry lost a few leaves and that was it. Damage really similar to what Rita left but the trees have more leaves this go round.
Now the wind has quit, the skeeters are horrible and it is hot and humid. Ah, summer!
Tally HO!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rain! Wind!

Tally, you've had a day...days
I wish we could sent rain where it is needed instead of some having to go thru your kind of stuff, especially, the skeeters

o

Sounds like 1991 for me. Had 90 MPH winds do a lot of tree damage, and got hit AGAIN just 2 weeks later.

Better than a tornado.....but still pretty big hassle.

o

Tally, just thought I'd say that when you come to "swim" at my house - the winds stay south.
I am truly sorry about the mess - MN can play horrible tricks on us sometimes. I hope nothing was damaged permanently --- take care ----

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here