Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
piksi_hk

Mantis tiller

piksi_hk
17 years ago

I've been seeing the ads for this and am very tempted to get one...do any of you have one? Need opinions and reviews. Thanks.

Comments (9)

• Kriskat30
    17 years ago

Mine is a bear to start, I don't think I'd buy another.

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

I've heard they don't work well in heavy clay, but I haven't tried one.

Sally

• sienna_98
    17 years ago

I don't recall having problems starting it, but rocks were always getting stuck between the blades and I had to stop frequently to get them out. I don't have clay, but it is a lightweight tiller, so it's just not going to be able to handle really heavy tilling as you would have with a clay soil.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Solarizing is just so much easier......I'm so lazy! PJ

• grittymitts
    17 years ago

If you notice the commercials they are always tilling in soil that has already been tilled.

You may want to check on the Home Forums (can't recall which one) they offer a lot of opinions and knowledge of equipment over there.

• sotexas
    17 years ago

We are also thinking of buying one BUT we also have a big TroyBuilt! It took a long time and a lot of effort to break up ground with the big one so I wouldn't expect it to be an easy job with a much smaller one. The only reason why we are looking at the Mantis is it would be quicker to hoe between rows after planting!

BTW don't be surprised if you buy one, you have people all of a sudden ask for a loan or want you to dig their garden lol.... It was amazing within the first two weeks of our using the Troybuilt how many people we did not know stopped and asked how much we would charge to dig their place over! Like the lawn tractor and other goodies we bought, neighbors have asked to borrow. [Sorry but we don't as we've had to do some hard saving to buy them in the first place].

• carrie751
    17 years ago

I agree, sotexas - loaning out equipment always leads to someone's being shortchanged.. we don't loan ours out either. I have clay soil so the Mantis was never a consideration for me - I also have a big Troybilt, and it does a good job for us.

• pricklypearsatx
    17 years ago

I have an electric Mantis and I absolutely LOVE it.
    We had a gas one for years, but that was a hassle. My husband would have to get it out and start it. Then, there was the maintenance due to it being a gas engine and all. With the electric there is none of that.

I have heavy clay soil. I used the Mantis to create flower beds.

I only weigh 100 pounds and have chronic sciatica. I have never mowed a lawn in my life.

Now, the depth at which it tilled was about a foot, and I didn't create huge beds. I also had to go back and forth as I tilled. I live on a simple city, 1/4 acre lot.

I would highly recommend it for anyone who is like me, who has physical limitations and needs to prepare beds for vegetable gardens, xeriscaping etc.

• newlife1
    17 years ago

I was sold on the "sexy" Mantis advertisement. My Mantis is a "fussy", two year old and not worth the money I spent. I cannot find an authorized service locally and might have to send it off for service, which bothers me more. It is a pretty expensive item and the company is very difficult to work with. Just shop around some. When it worked, it worked great. After great care, and light use for two years it is caput!