Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pjtexgirl

control your excitement

pjtexgirl
17 years ago

My hen Penny or Henny has laid a blue egg! Isn't that cool? Wow. I'm PJ the chicken farmer now. Not only that the heat has made my 3 little goldfish spawn eggs and I have tiny,tiny fry! They are really cute. They look like eyes with a tiny set of fins! I wonder if a chicken can lay a hard boiled egg? It feels hot enough!PJ

Comments (20)

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

PJ, that is so cool, did you *fry* the egg? LOL
    My fish are getting very big but the only eggs in the pond are toads and frogs, lol
    Where are the pics?????

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

Wow, a blue egg.
    That'll come in handy when it's Easter. lol

Your baby fish sound so cute.

• Jacquelyn8b
    17 years ago

Congratulations! If you had a rat snake it might have taken your pretty blue egg. Count your blessings!

Too bad critters don't take orders. "Eat the mice and leave the eggs alone." Sounds good, huh :-)

• ltcollins1949
    17 years ago

I just love chickens that lay colored eggs. I went to our local produce store and both some yard eggs. There were white, brown and blue ones. It was so cool.

I want to get some Guinea Hens to help keep down the snakes, sorry but I hate snakes, and I was doing some research and apparently you can eat their eggs too. They said two of their eggs equals one chicken egg. Have any of you ever eaten Guinea Hen eggs?

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Linda, I am looking for Guineas also. I was seeing them in the paper all of the time but now that I want them...
    I don't want the babies too much trouble right now. I figured if I got adults and rotated letting a couple out at a time ( they are serious roamers) so they would stay close to the rest I might be okay. They would be more practical for me now, get the hoppers and snakes but not tear up the garden.

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

I remember my grandmother having guineas. They were very noisey when some one came to the house.....like watch dogs.

• ltcollins1949
    17 years ago

My grandma had them too, and yes they were very noisey. I guess that is why I want some. I don't ever remember eating their eggs though.

My friend near Chappell Hill just got 5 or 6 of them to control the grasshoppers. So far they have stayed at her place, but you are right, they are roamers. A few years ago there was an article in Texas Gardener about them, and it suggested that you get them at a very young age so they will stay with you and not run off.

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Guineas are very noisy critters. Hope you have plenty of landscape for them. They will raise neighbor complaints quickly, if you have close neighbors.

• ltcollins1949
    17 years ago

I only have two neighbors on each side of me, but they are only here maybe a couple of times a month. They are weekend homes.

Yea, I know that they are noisy, but then I live in the county and we don't have any noise restrictions out here.

• Dena Walters
    17 years ago

my mom and dad have several and yes I have eaten the eggs..they are bigger and actually a bit richer, the yellow is reallly yellow but they taste like reg chicken eggs.

Dena

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

There are some Guinea hens at a nursery near Weston's. (Carol,Before I forget we gotta go back some time. That was a nice nursery!)
    Sorry, anyway, those birds were just beautiful. Their wing patterns shift as they move around amongst each other. It's mesmerizing. Very geometric/fractal/illusion thing going.One thing the nursery owner did warn you about was their temper. I decided against getting them because I heard they tended to be like geese in temperament. They'd probably be nice to the owners but might not let your guests anywhere near where they are.PJ

• sienna_98
    17 years ago

Guineas aren't like geese in that respect. They just cackle very loudly when someone comes around. I've never known one to be aggressive. You do want to get them young so that they'll establish their territory at your place. Biggest problem I know with Guineas (outside of the noise issue) is that the predators *love* them and do a good job of whittling the flock down to size.

Our neighbor had a good-sized flock that got smaller each year (she was elderly and did not add to the flock) until it was down to 1 lonely bird. The next year a 2nd bird joined it for a while until one of them disappeared. The lone bird survived (I think) because it knew enough to stay close (but not too close LOL) to my Livestock Guardian Dog.

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

We had 5 acres and a neighbor with Guineas. They were real loud but I was glad to have them keep the snakes away. My kids were little and I worried about copperheads.

Pj, we will have to go back to the nursery when it gets cooler.

• Bev__
    17 years ago

Did you eat that blue egg or are you saving it for Easter???

We had a lot of ducks swimming around our old house, white ones, mallards & muscovies(they are black & were really messy and pooped like geese, they had red things kind of like a turkey)....anyway, the mallard would sit on her eggs and try to hatch them. One mallard mom got eaten by an owl. The owl took her head 1st and left the rest of her body on the roof and ate that over the next couple days. My neighbor watched the whole thing. He didn't tell me right away, because he knew I'd freak out and he found it interesting to watch. The white & black ducks laid their eggs all over the yard and just ignored them. I worried because sometimes Buffy would find them before me and eat them and I wouldn't know how long they'd been laying in the yard. I was afraid she'd get sick.

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm nervous about eating my eggs(I have 2 now!) I'm not sure how long they were in the heat! I heard they get real stinky real fast if they aren't any good. Is this true?
    I've got to post pics. I can get a pic of the eggs but the fish are too small yet.
    Carolann, cooler? Why? What's wrong with heat stroke? LOL! PJ

• sylviatexas1
    17 years ago

Put raw eggs into a pan of water.

If they float, toss 'em (toss 'em *far*, honey, they stink!)

If they sink, you can eat them.

The expanding gasses in rotten eggs make them lighter than water.

Are your hens the little Aracanas?
    (don't know if that's the right word, can't spell today)

Their eggs are reputed to be lower in cholesterol than regular chicken eggs.

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Sylvia!Thankfully they sank yipppeeee!!!!
    I have chickens descended from Arauncanas.Americanas are a mixed breed that have an Arauncana parent. The blue egg is a dominant gene so they bred them to chickens that did well in any area for hardy chickens with blue eggs. Henny and Penny(original eh?) look like your typical chicken. Henny is white with a little red comb and Penny is a copperish brown color.
    I should make my dad eat the eggs! He is terrible about watching his cholesterol! PJ

• ltcollins1949
    17 years ago

Hey PJ,

Hoosiers are known to love eggs, especially yard eggs. My dad travels 20 miles each way to get his yard eggs. I'll bet your dad will love the privilege of eating your chicken's first eggs.

• little_dani
    17 years ago

Also, you can shake the eggs. If they sound like water sloshing around in there, get rid of them, WITHOUT opening them! If they don't make sounds, they are good.

Janie

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow Itcollins! I'll trade you eggs for your memory! Thats an amazing distance to drive for eggs. Yard eggs do taste better.
    Sloshy eggs and floaty eggs stink. Thanks! I really do appreciate this info. I'll bet on bad egg could stink up your kitchen for quite a while from what it sounds like! PJ

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz