Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scuba_gal

Can You Mow?

scuba-gal
16 years ago

My husband has been just dying to get the grass cut - but it's literally soupy out there - I left to have lunch w/ a friedn for 2 hours and came back and he'd done both front and back - what a mess. It always looks yucky when it's mowed while all wet.

My best friends yard is still so deep her husband had to skip large areas -lol!

Angie

Comments (18)

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

My grass doesn't seem to care. I mow with a ride along not a regular mower. PJ

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Too wet here, would leave tracks, but I am hoping some areas can be mowed tomorrow, barring more rain tonight.

• remuda1
    16 years ago

I've been able to do everything but the backyard. It's the only place I mow that has any shade so it takes longer to dry out. Last year we could't buy a dewy morning.....this year (when it not raining!) it's become the norm so we have to wait until it dries out and by then it's a bit warmish!!

Like Carrie, I'm hoping today is the day for the backyard. Of course, I noticed last evening that it's already time to mow the paths to the horse pastures again :( LOL.

At least the next seven days are only calling for a 20 to 30% chance of rain!

Kristi

• terryisthinking
    16 years ago

Our yard is just terrible. We are in the path of all the water getting to the creek in the back yard. Everyone else in the neighborhood mowed the weekend that we had to work - so we look pretty shabby. (curse them)

Even after no rain for 48 hours, my pants legs get wet walking in the yard. DH is down to a push mower because the riding one couldn't cut the wet grass and died.

Maybe the sun'll come out and the grass will turn yellow and die.

• vjcamp
    16 years ago

I cut the front and back yard Friday afternoon when I got home from work. I was afraid " not to cut it", we went to Chickasha,OK for the weekend and I was afraid I would miss the only good weather for cutting.

• rick_mcdaniel
    16 years ago

Managed to cut grass Saturday. Sunday it rained again.

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Rick, I saw that black cloud hanging over Lewisville, but it did not rain here. I was able to mow both Saturday and Sunday (a few spots that I will be unable to mow for several more days), and today I am going back over it as 3 acres is a bit much to rake. It could have been bailed. LOL

• rick_mcdaniel
    16 years ago

Carrie, you have too much grass. (smile)

We got thundered on at least twice yestiddy. I sorta lost count, after that.

Actually we weren't home Saturday evening, so I dunno whether it rained then or not, but by then I had the lawn mowed and edged. Takes 3 times longer to edge than mow, though, because I put in as little grass as I could.

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

We finally got to mow this weekend. It Sunday I mowed the front and it started raining I gritted me teeth and mowed through the light rain but the thunder sure sound scary, that's the one thing that will send my booty back inside lighting.

Now it's getting to warm to do much for very long, I have to hit the dirt early in the morning to get anything done in this heat.

I'm all for a week without rain but no longer, I don't know about you all but all this rain has spoiled me with not having to water :)

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

I got up early to mow (again) this morning too. Starting to heat up. Pretty soon I'll be whining about insane watering prices and the pain of lugging around my hose!!!PJ

• carrie751
    16 years ago

One can never have too much grass, Rick -- I love it, and do not complain about mowing - just need to not have to drive through standing water to do so.

• rick_mcdaniel
    16 years ago

Carrie, one can never have too much acreage. Grass, you can easily overdo.

Give me a few hundred acres of pristine mountain forest. I will plant enough grass for the dogs to use, and not much more.

Here's my preferred part of the world:

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/

Rick

• carrie751
    16 years ago

As Dezi Arnaz said, Rick ----- "to itch his own". That would not be for me. And isn't it wonderful that we want different things? - otherwise, there would probably be more fights than there are now.

• prairiepaintbrush
    16 years ago

I would dearly love to live in the mountains. My only concern - in my fantasy land that excludes things like money, jobs, etc. - is whether you could grow veggies.

• scuba-gal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

aww...my stupid grass is needing mowing agian! At least it is drier now

~Angie~

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

prairie, You'd have to put up some kind of barrier to keep deer/rabbits/etc.. out of a mountain side vegie patch!

• prairiepaintbrush
    16 years ago

PJ, I could handle that. But I reckon you'd need a greenhouse too. I think the warm weather is too short for most things, ain't it?

Last time I was up there I saw a nice little place for a million plus dollars. Wonder if there was a greenhouse...hmmm...

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

Well, the real estate is insane in that area. (It's always something aint it???) Yes, it does get colder the higher you get.It snows too. If you wanted maters or anything like that you'd pretty much have to have a hot house. PJ