Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jolanaweb

Have you ever used Damp Rid?

jolanaweb
16 years ago

Monday when Carol and her DH came to visit, I left my car parked while we tooled around Austin. I cracked the windows about an 1/8 of an inch, it wasn't supposed to rain til later that evening according to the weather report I had listened to that morning.

Anyway it came a horrible rain right before they dropped me off at my car. The whole front inside was completely soaked and I mean soaked!

So I started driving toward home and kept getting wetter and wetter on the backside and was a little ticked at myself for doing that and even tho the car will be a year old in a couple of months, I was so proud that it still had that new car smell

I kept thinking, oh now it is going to smell, I'll never be able to get all of this water out

A friend called me and I told her what had happened and she said she hangs Damp Rid in her closets because of our humidity, maybe that would work for my car

Well I stopped at HEB and got some Damp Rid and paper towels, boy did I get some weird looks in the store because of my wet butt, so I thought I would give them something to really laugh about and picked up a pkg of Depends also to carry around.

When I got home, I got out as much water as I could, (it was still very damp feeling)and hung the damp rid bags on the hangers in the back

Today everything is dry and the 2 bags are almost full of water

I am so happy my friend told me about that stuff

jolana

Comments (20)

• remuda1
    16 years ago

That's cool! I've never heard of it though. Glad it worked for you.

Kristi

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

OMG, Girl your to funny. I think I would have gone with the wet car and waited till it stopped raining and I was in dry clean clothes before going into the store.

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Barb, I am too far from the store to go back, LOL
    I had to get it on the way home

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

I'm so glad it worked!!! Your car was totally immaculate and a really lovely car too. I'm glad I know about that stuff now too. I wonder how it works? Gotta look that up. PJ

• Bev__
    16 years ago

Our old boat was a cuddy cruiser. The cabin always had that damp smell. We started using the tubs of damp rid...amazing product. It really works. I got it at home depot.
    You sure do have a good sense of humor, don't know if I could have shopped with wet pants.

• rick_mcdaniel
    16 years ago

Happens to all of us, sometime or other. Just shows the unpredictability of the weather.

Drying out a car interior is quite a job, so glad you found something to make it easier.

In Miami, you can have that happen almost anytime in the summer. The showers come up from out of nowhere, dump, and are gone again.

Chalk up another weird weather year, and ya gotta wonder if it is gonna continue to be weird in the future.

• carolann_z8
    16 years ago

I knew I should pop into GW more often.

Jolana, you're funny and informative all at the same time.

Sorta like Curly and Einstein combined.

Did your remember to pick up your denture cream while you were there? lol

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No, I forgot and it's a good thing I'm typing, it's hard to talk without teeth in your mouth, LOL

• honeybunny2 Fox
    16 years ago

Jolanaweb, we have damp rid, hanging in all closets at the coast. We have to change the bags about every 3 months. I can only imagine what they look like now. If your car starts to get a damp smell, you can remove it by using kitty litter, just put in a pan, and leave in the car overnight. I learned this from working in the Flood Dept. taking loss reports. Barbra

• carolann_z8
    16 years ago

LOL Jolana

• bossjim1
    16 years ago

Well I can just see it now. Jolana driving down the road with the Damp Rid bags swinging on the hangers, kitty litter on the floor board, Depends scattered all around, her teeth out and her butt wet!
    HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!
    Would somebody take a picture of that, please?
    Jim

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jim, watch it, you might be in a situation like that one day and no Depends or Damp Rid around, LOL

And I am so glad there wasn't anyone with a camera around, hehehe or course HEB has some footage they might show at Company parties now, lol

• bossjim1
    16 years ago

If they start giving you the celebrity treatment when you go in..... You'll know that in "their eyes" you're famous.
    Jim

• denisew
    16 years ago

Gosh, I will have to tell my in-laws about the Damp Rid. They live in SW Louisiana and they definitely need to use that stuff in their house.

When I was in high school, I drove a 1972 GTO. It really needed some work, but it got me where I was going. Well, the windows decided they wouldn't go all the way up and it rained inside the car. The carpet in the back started to grow mushrooms! We had to rip it all out. I really could have used that Damp Rid back then!

Jolana said:
    "Well I stopped at HEB and got some Damp Rid and paper towels, boy did I get some weird looks in the store because of my wet butt, so I thought I would give them something to really laugh about and picked up a pkg of Depends also to carry around."

I needed a good laugh! Thanks for sharing that with us!

• grittymitts
    16 years ago

I used it in one of DH's cars after someone left window partway down & rain got in. Didn't find it for awhile and lemme tell ya' it smelled to high heaven!

Tied bundles of Damp Rid in cloth & tossed it on the seats and carpets, rolled up the window & left it sit a few days...amazingly it totally banished the stench.
    Suzi (late as usual)

• sally2_gw
    16 years ago

LOL Jolana! You are too funny!

I could use that in my car, as one of it's windows doesn't function properly. DH could use it in his car, too. We had it professionally shampooed at a car wash, and boy was that a mistake. It has stunk ever since, because they didn't get the carpet dry. I wonder how soon you have to use that stuff. It's been a couple of years since his car was shampooed.

Sally

• carrie751
    16 years ago

This thread has made my day --- I am still laughing !!!
    My friend, Jolana, never a dull moment with her around.

• melvalena
    16 years ago

It really is funny!

Picture Jolana waltzing through HEB with the damprid, paper towels, Depends and her wet butt:

Gosh I wish you lived closer so we could hang out.

• carolann_z8
    16 years ago

Jolana, when PJ, Maggie and I come down this fall would you be so nice as to do it all over again for us to see.

We don't get that kind of entertainment down here.

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I sure will, I'll even let you you wet my backside with water.
    I made my first trip back to HEB today and *my* cashier was still laughing
    Come on down, lol