zitro_joe
16 years ago

I am here for 12 days, any suggestions.

ZJoe

Comments (10)

• justintx
    16 years ago

Hey, Joe,
    Find those Montezuma Cypress trees that reportedly live there. They aren't supposed to survive that far north, but they do. Purportedly planted by Spanish monks 300 years ago. Get some cuttings (stay out of jail). Bring some back ----- just a suggestion. ; - ) Oh, and, uh, give me a call so I can come pick some up.

J.D.

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

JD!!!How mercenary!!! (sneak me some...) LOL! It's beautiful country there. See the sights and take lots of pictures.
    Maybe that'll keep your mind off missing your lovely family. Unless of course they're with you then put them in the pictures too. PJ

• zitro_joe
    Original Author
    16 years ago

JD - Were you the one that was caught taking tree clippings from a golf course? I don't think my wife will us to play together.

Unfortunately, the family is not with me. I brought the camera though. I hope that they dont keep me too busy while I am here.

ZJoe

• rick_mcdaniel
    16 years ago

Ok, first take the gondola up to the top of the Sandias. (And take a light jacket.)

Then, check out the Native American shops. You may find a connection there, in drums, flutes, or art items. (At least, pick the wife up something in jewelry.)

There are cultural centers for both Hispanic and Native American cultures, that may be of interest. Check out Old Town, and its historical character.

Visit the botanical gardens and see xeriscaping, and visit the Rio Grande Nature Center, and / or the Wild Spirit Wolf Sanctuary.

Take a drive up to Tesuque (just north of Sante Fe), and have a casual dinner at the general store, and strike up a chat with one of the local artists, that frequents that spot, over a great sandwich and a beer.

If you have time, you might even do the work you are supposed to be there for. (smile)

• rick_mcdaniel
    16 years ago

I forgot to mention, there are a number of pretty good wineries in NM, including some in the Albuquerque area. You might go do some wine tastings, and check them out. I like Black Mesa, but they are closer to Taos, than Albuquerque.

Also, Sante Fe is only about an hour and a half north, and there's a lot to do there, if you have a free weeekend.

• zitro_joe
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Work??? It's funny you mention that four letter word. Apparently, we are a day early. We showed up and no one was there, called our POC and he said "comeback tomorrow" we dont have anything for you until the everyone else arrives"

Sweet deal!

My co-worker and I drove up to Sandias today. Went on the Tram, drove through the hills, got lost-the usual tourist stuff. We are going to rent bikes and ride down the Sandias on Thursday. Botanical gardens will be Friday night. Santa Fe is an option, There is only one rental car between the tow of us so if he isn't up to go then I might not be able to. Wineries is a great idea, I need a DD though.

I think I read something about pueblos near here as well.

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

I seen the NM botanical gardens on HGTV it was beautiful.

I second the old town.

It's Summerfest Season
    Albuquerque's free outdoor music festival is underway!

Every Saturday night in June and July, Civic Plaza is the vibrant setting for music and dance from all over the world. Head downtown from 5-10:30 p.m. to experience the buzz of Albuquerque Summerfest.
    If your driving and going through ruidoso its a neat little town but everything closes up by 9:00 or 10:00 pm at least it did about 10 years ago. There is a wonderful nut factory there with all knids of yummy nuts. Name it Mountain Man I think.

http://www.ruidoso.net/

Here a link to help out.

Here is a link that might be useful: get a walking guide for albuquerque neighborhoods-city of albuquerque

• rick_mcdaniel
    16 years ago

Pueblos are everywhere, from Albuquerque through Taos. Some to consider:

Santo Domingo- n of Albuquerque
    Tesuque- north of Santa Fe
    Jemez- n of Albuquerque
    Acoma-w of Albuquerque
    Isleta- s of Albuquerque
    San Felipe- n of Albuquerque
    Zuni- w of Albuquerque

The Isleta Pueblo is probably closest, but Santo Domingo isn't too far, and it is known for jewelry. Jemez and Acoma are both known for pottery, with Jemez known for it's high quality, and Acoma known for its graphic designs.

The pueblo artists often sell each other's work, so you can find pieces from one pueblo in other pueblos.

Here's a link to pueblo info:

http://www.indianpueblo.org/index.cfm?module=ipcc&pn=36#acom

You will also find Native artists on the plaza in Santa Fe, and in Taos along the street going east from the plaza (which is probably too far).

Taos pueblo is also a great place to visit and shop. The Tewa restaurant has authentic Navajo food, on the pueblo road.

One of my favorite places in NM, though, is the Angelfire valley, over the mountain from Taos. It is more like Colorado.

The Kit Carson forest, in the Los Alamos area, is also quite nice, but too many people for me.

There is a whole lot more, but you may not get that far from the city. Suffice it to say, Albuquerque is more the "jumping off place", than the place to be, in NM, since it is, after all, the largest city.

Have fun. Decent native pottery starts about $40. and goes up to several thousand. Good Native jewelry starts at around $15. for a pair of earrings, and goes up into several hundred. Better to buy less, and get the higher quality pieces in both.

A decent Native flute will start around $50. and go into several hundred. JT Navajo and High Spirits are good "brands". Good flutes are not as easy to find as you might think, so if comparing, use the 2 mentioned as a "standard" for comparison. There are many not-so-great flutes, in NM. In drums, ask for elk or buffalo skins. The elk is best. Cowhide doesn't have good reasonance. Rattles, shakers, and rainsticks, are usually pretty available and not too pricey.

There are many other fine items available from Native artists and craftsmen. They make wonderful knives, leather items, weavings, and more. The Navajo are known for weaving.

Hope that helps a little.

• justintx
    16 years ago

"JD - Were you the one that was caught taking tree clippings from a golf course? I don't think my wife will us to play together."

I learned to keep potting soil, 4" pots, rooting hormone in the big pocket on the side. With my quality of play, I spend plenty of time in the woods/landscape. (It is also better to be able to outrun your accomplice - I mean - team mate.)

J.D.

• zitro_joe
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the help and suggestion! There is enough here to keep us busy until next the 20th. Old town and the Peublos are on the to-do list.

JD- I actually believe you...

ZJoe