Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denisew03

Not sure if the dog has been abandoned

denisew
16 years ago

Our neighbors with the barking dog have sold their house and they had a moving van at their house on Friday. They are just moving across town. We didn't see any lights on in their house last night - it was all very quiet. Usually their son us up at 10:30 banging on his drums. And, usually their dog is barking too, so we figured he was gone too. Wrong. We saw him sitting in the middle of their yard this morning. We also noticed a vehicle in their driveway, so maybe they were coming back to get the dog? Nope. The vehicle is gone and the dog is still there. We just can't figure this out. We'll keep an eye on him for the next couple of days and if there isn't any activity, then we'll call the animal control people. Other than the barking or digging, this dog has a very sweet temperment - especially for a boxer.

Comments (22)

• scuba-gal
    16 years ago

how horrible - It sounds like the dog would probably be better off with someone else anyway maybe. I love boxers...can't imagine ever abandoning a dog - even if it was the dog from h*ll!?!

some people....
    ~Angie~

• denisew
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I called a neighbor who lives on the other side of these people to get the scoop after posting this and they said they have seen their vehicle in the driveway, but not a whole lot of activity. They did sell their house, so I figured they would have moved everything out by now. Maybe the closing isn't until mid-July or they could be renting it from the new owners for the month while theirs is being finished since they're building. I'm not sure. We don't see these people very often - only occasionally when they're out getting the mail.

Yes, I think the dog would be better off with someone else because they leave it out in freezing temps and high heat. I think the only shelter he has is a dog kennel with the vents, so he won't stay warm - at least that is what I have seen through the fence the times I've been nosy enough to drive slow enough to look on my way up our alley. ;-)

I'm still keeping an eye on activity over there to make sure they don't leave their dog. When I'm working in my yard next to their fence, he comes over and will whine for attention. I usually stick my fingers under the fence and he licks them and will paw at my hands - typical boxer using his paws like that. He gets so excited when I give him just that little bit of attention.

• sylviatexas1
    16 years ago

That's horrible!

Dogs are pack or family or tribal animals;
    keeping any dog isolated should be against the cruelty laws.

& Boxers are especially extroverted & need lots & lots of "face time".

You can google Boxer Rescue, or maybe Boxer Rescue Texas, & let some Boxer fan know about this.

Animal Control will still have to take the dog, to prevent these jerks from calling anyone who adopts it a thief, but if you call Boxer Rescue in advance, they can get in touch with Animal Control & arrange to take the dog & to be sure he gets the really good home he deserves.

hope you get to get him into a better situation!

• sally2_gw
    16 years ago

If your animal control works like the ones on the Animal Planet shows about the animal cops, they'll put a notice up first, without taking the dog. If the owner doesn't respond, they'll take the dog. It might not hurt to call Animal Control, so they can investigate whether the dog really is abandoned.

It could be they're coming over and feeding him, keeping him there until they have their new place ready for the dog. It could be that their new place doesn't have a fence, and they have to build one before they can take him there. Who knows. Have you spoken with them? Could you ask them about him? I don't remember your history with these people.

Sally

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

Boxers are people dogs. I sure hope Sally is right! Wouldn't that be a nice ending? PJ

• scuba-gal
    16 years ago

I'd probably call too - what if he doens't have any food or water.

• denisew
    Original Author
    16 years ago

These people are not very social. We tried to make friends with them when they moved in, but they pretty much keep to themselves. Their son used to come over to play with my son when they were younger, but once when they were in 3nd grade, we suggested that he go next door to play with their son. He turned pale and absolutely refused to go over there. Even today, he won't tell us what happened, so it is probably a good thing these people are moving.

These are the same people when I overheard the wife screaming "Don't shoot! Don't shoot!" from their bedroom as I was hauling my lawn equipment back around from working outside one day. I know darned well that it was not their tv because I recognized her voice. I promptly called the police. I was so scared for her and the kids. Of course, they told the police there was nothing going on and no arrests were made that day, but at least it is on public record that I had called as a witness to what I heard. I am more concerned for the wife and kids if there is abuse going on, but we'll never know since they keep to themselves so much. Just speculating - but it could be she is too afraid because he could have threatened her if she said anything to anyone.

We will certainly keep an eye on things to make sure they take the dog with them and if they don't, we'll contact animal control. I also watch those animal cops shows on Animal Planet, so know how quickly any dog can get heat stroke or get dehydrated. I'll keep y'all updated.

• beachplant
    16 years ago

Poor baby! I would move the dog before I took the furniture! But, like most of us here, our dogs are spoiled rotten. Keep us posted on what is going on, glad at least someone is looking out for the dog.
    Tally HO!

• scuba-gal
    16 years ago

speaking of dogs...my pup got a doggie-door this weekend. She is using it fine - but she thinks it is a window to the world and just sit peeking out to see what is going on-lol
    ~Angie~

{{gwi:1313071}}

{{gwi:1313073}}

• little_dani
    16 years ago

Our Boxer dog lived in a wood pen for over a year, with no companionship. The fence was 6' tall, and solid- she couldn't see out, and nobody played with her. It was sad. She wouldn't come in the house when I got her home, she was afraid.

Now, she runs the place. Sleeps in the bed. Life is her oyster. I call her my Boxer/terrorist cross. LOL

I hope this Boxer next door to you gets a family who loves dogs. I just cannot stand to see an animal unloved.

Janie

• denisew
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I was out in the front yard this evening when our letter carrier came by with our mail. I asked him if they stopped delivery of their mail yet and he said he just put a stop delivery card in their box so he doesn't put anymore mail in there. That did it. I went over and checked on the dog and he had about an inch of dirty water, so I rinsed it out and gave him some fresh water. They also had removed the lock from their gate. I then sent an e-mail to the lady who is in charge of our animal control asking her if she could check out the situation and told her what was going on. Poor baby! He was so happy to see someone in his yard. He didn't jump on me, but he sure wanted the attention. So, I had to pet him a little bit before I went back to my house.

Angie - your dog is so cute!

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

I glad your keeping an eye out for this poor dog. Poeple like that make me sick. Keep us updated so we don't worry about him.

Angie, that is so cute about the window/doggy door, short as she is it is hard for them to look out of real windows unless they have something to climb on LOL.
    She is cute too.

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

I'm glad you're looking out for the dog too!
    I had to teach my dogs not to stick thier heads out the doggie door to watch the world go by. They stuck their goofy heads out far enough to let the bugs in and the cooled or heated air out! BTW, that's one cute dachsund :^) PJ

• sally2_gw
    16 years ago

I hope there's a happy ending for this dog. It sounds like you may have made a good friend. :-) Keep us updated on what happens next.

That's so cute that your dog looks out the doggy door.

Sally

• beachplant
    16 years ago

I'm sure we can find him a GOOD home too. Between all of us. Did you feed the poor baby too? People like that should be shot. You would not believe the # of people that rent a house for the summer, get a pet and then at the end of the season just go off and leave it. That is part of the reason the pound now charges the fees. Not that it matters to them, they just pay the $65 and abandon the dog/cat/hamster/rabbit, whatever. GRRRR!
    Tally HO!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    16 years ago

***You would not believe the # of people that rent a house for the summer, get a pet and then at the end of the season just go off and leave it.***

Tally,
    That is exactly why we have 2 dogs and 2 cats...all abandoned and homeless. One of these days I will actually buy a dog at the pound ;-) We are maxed out right now, but 3 of them are getting to the 14-16 year mark. I have finally learned to say no to the strays and take them to the shelter. When you are a loving pet owner, you see mistreatment everywhere!

Pam

• kateyes
    16 years ago

Somebody please rescue this dog! If animal control picks it up, and nobody claims it...you know what will happen!!!

I'm maxed with two Rots and a Pug (all great friends - hilarous to watch play!), and the occasional weekend overnighters with my two female "granddogs" - a black and a brown Lab (it really gets side-splitting then!).

Anyhoo...Boxers need kids to play with; they are so lovable!!

Doesn't anyone have a lonely child or grandchild or niece or nephew or.....someone????

• denisew
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I have seen these neighbors back for a couple short periods this week picking up more of their stuff, so I assume they are also feeding the dogs. Their 13 year old son was riding his scooter up and down the alley in back of our house annoying our lab who would run over to the fence (open picket so we could all see what he was doing) and bark at him. He barks at anyone who walks by our rides their bicycles down the alley because he is used to just seeing cars go by and doesn't bark at cars. We were in our backyard and walked over to calm him down and overheard him saying something to tease our dog. We didn't appreciate that at all. We put our lab in the house until they left. Instead of teasing our dog, he should have been playing with his dog who has been very lonely in their absence. I heard they are supposed to be out of the house by this weekend and hopefully they will take the dog with them because if they don't, I will contact animal control.

• beachplant
    16 years ago

Poor dog is probably better off if that kid DOESN'T play with it!
    Tally HO! 4 dogs, 2 cats, 3 birds, 2 ferrets & the fish

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

I second Tally. That poor animal with a d*p s**t kid owner! PJ 3dogs,chinchilla,cat,3 lizards,2 chickens and 2 birds!

• denisew
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, they're finally gone today and they dog went with them - woo-hoo! That saves me a phone call to animal control. Problem is, now the dog is a barking problem in another neighborhood, but as long as it isn't next door to us, I suppose that is a good thing. We will now start sleeping better at night.

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

I hope things get better for that dog. I'm glad it's over for you! PJ