Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remuda1

Before and During Pics of CWJC site

remuda1
16 years ago

This first pic is taken from ground level looking in the direction of the lake, which is just across the street from the site. The building you see just above the fence houses Accents II, a gift and accessory store whose owner is VERY nice. If you are standing in front of CWJC, looking at the building, this neighbor is to the left of it. In the upper right hand corner, you can see the "Peak" in the distance, which is where Pam lives.

This one is taken from the deck that you can reach by climbing the stairs to the left in the first picture. It's looking in the opposite direction than the first pic

This pic is after we had excavated the creek bed but before the rock had been placed in it. As you can see, the creek runs right under the A/C unit which we elevated with cinder blocks. We then covered the cinder blocks with the rock to disguise them.

As you can see, the property slopes right toward the building. The project chair (Phyllis) has been there several times during hard rains in the last week or so and says the creek is working perfectly, YAY!

Here is the creek with the rocks in place. We are planning a workday for Tuesday of next week and we'll be placing a rock border around the beds and tilling in soil amendments and placing mulch (God willing and the *creek* don't rise!). Phyllis has said that it's been pretty muddy over there this week and part of last week so we'll need to let it dry up a bit in order to be successful. I'll take more during pics after we finish work on Tuesday.

I know it doesn't look like we've done a whole lot yet, but trust me....LOL a lot of work has gone into it thus far. Now we can start concentrating on the fun stuff....getting the beds ready and then planting the plants!!

Kristi

Comments (19)

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

Kristi, anyone that has done that kind of work can see what you have done and I know how much work y'all have done.
    It already looks better to me and I can't wait to see it planted. It is going to be a vision
    Good job!!!!

• new_in_texas
    16 years ago

Thanks for the tour, I'm excited about the progress so please keep us updated.

• carrie751
    16 years ago

I can hardly wait for the plants to go in, Kristi. What a great job (not to mention hard work) you guys have done.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    16 years ago

I just got back from over there after tumbling down the hill! Nothing really injured except my pride. I was replacing some of the fencing and the narrow ledge on the outside of the fence just broke loose. I think I'll wait until later today to go back with a ladder for some better footing! Man, it's hot!

Pam

• PKponder TX Z7B
    16 years ago

Those are some great pictures Kristi. I think you should have been a photographer!

Pam

• remuda1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL Pam! That's tumble number 2.....that I know of for you! You better be careful over there by yourself! Why don't you just bring your ladder on Tuesday and we can add the fence to the list of things to work on? I hope your pride really is the only thing bruised :). It's awful hot hot there today. The horses are standing under shade and still sweating. I went out earlier to water containers and was absolutely dripping. I came back in and decided office work is called for today. Please wait to go back until there's someone there to hold the ladder for you. If I wasn't chained to this desk, I'd join you later but I have to get on top of this paperwork mountain.

Jolana, thanks :). I think some people might have been a little dismayed after I tore up what grass there was with the bobcat, but as soon as we get done with the beds we can seed the dreaded bermuda grass and since Phyllis is there nearly everyday, she can be sure to hit it with water until it gets established.

We can't wait for the plants to go in either. Unfortunately, some business matters have come up that need immediate attention so myself and a few others are unable to make it back out there until Tuesday. But we'll work double hard then :). I'll post more pics once there is some change that will be of any interest.

Thanks again ya'll, for your interest and generosity!

Kristi

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

Amazing!!! Great job! Thanks for the pics. It's going to look wonderful.
    Pam be careful or I'll have to lecture you into a stupor! LOL!PJ

• justintx
    16 years ago

I assure you, Kristi, I 'feel your pain' and your sense of accomplishment. Feels good to get it done, doesn't it?!?! Keep us updated.

J.D.

• bossjim1
    16 years ago

Kristi, I think you guys are doing a wonderful job, and I do mean JOB. Any gardener can appreciate all the work you have done.
    Jim

• denisew
    16 years ago

Wow! What a difference some work with that bobcat can make. They rock for the creek bed looks good. Hopefully it will be dry enough to work next week, but cool enough to want to get out to work. Maybe some early morning or evening work would be best to avoid the heat. Y'all be careful and drink plenty of water if you do get out when it is really hot. Thanks for sharing those pictures. Y'all are doing a great job!

• remuda1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, we just got another 1+ inches of rain! I'm so torn between wanting it to rain and NOT wanting it to rain. We were getting so dry here....the pastures certainly needed it, but I guess the project site could've done without it.

I did go to the courthouse this morning since we were supposed to put fresh loads of mulch into the beds there, but it was an absolute wash-out. It's been rescheduled.

Anyhow, thank you all for the kind words. I think that sometimes when people say bobcat, others don't really understand that it's kind of like having cosmetic surgery.....it's gonna look a LOT worse before it looks a lot better, LOL. Just have to look at heavy equipment as just that....it will do the heavy work, the finesse work will still need to be done by hand. Also, I realized that f you're not familiar with the equipment, it probably would never occur to you that you might lose a little turf :). In any case, I think everyone is happy and we're all looking forward to making some more progress.

Kristi

• denisew
    16 years ago

Well, I think getting rid of the existing turf was definitely a good thing! It looked weedy to me - not much good turfgrass in there.

• remuda1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Denise, the first time I saw the place, the grass was up to my waist! Phyllis's husband was kind enough to weedeat it down for us and the first and second pics were taken after he had done that. We got a pretty good giggle while he was weedeating :). He inadvertantly stepped on a stick that reached up and touched him on the back of the leg....LOL, have you ever seen anyone do the watusi (sp?) with a weedeater in their hands? He thought it was a snake reaching up to give him a *kiss*. Of course, in waist high grass, you can never be too careful, but it sure was a sight :).

Kristi

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

LOL! PJ

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

LOL, To bad you didn't have your camera so we could have seen that sight.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    16 years ago

Just a quick update...the plants are due to go in next Wednesday morning. I just got back from there and finally got the rickety fence shored up. Kristi and Phyllis hung some lattice for the vines last week, it made a huge difference! It is going to be so beautiful! Last week we all met over there and placed the large rocks that border the planting beds and dry creek bed, ammended the soil in the planting beds and mulched the area under the tree. I know that Phyllis took pictures, but I don't have them yet, but they are forthcoming.

Pam

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

Thanks Pam! That is really neat. I can't wait to see the pics.PJ

• remuda1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry I haven't gotten back with an update sooner ya'll. It's been hectic. I've spent most of this week joined at the hip with our accountant. Can you say: Borrrring!

Anyway, I can't take credit for any of the lattice work as Phyllis and her husband did that. Pam, glad you were able to put the fence behind you, that's a tremendous help. Has your husband started on the bridge over the creek bed yet?

As Pam said, we will be planting on Wednesday morning. On the Monday morning prior to that (the 20th), Doug will be delivering another load of mulch. Nancy and I will be transporting the plants to the site and Phyllis will meet us there. We will then place the plants in the beds where we want them planted. On Wednesday morning, we will have more volunteers there (we hope!) and we will begin planting. I didn't want to leave the decisions as to placement of the plants until Wednesday morning, because it would be a miracle to be able to get 6 or 8 gardeners to agree on that, LOL!! I'm sure there will be much discussion with just the 4 of us on Monday. We were going to do the planting on Tuesday morning but that's when my high speed internet is being installed. Say it with me.......Praise God!!!! Anyway, I am going to start a new thread with the latest pics from after our last work day. Since I don't HAVE high speed internet yet, my feeble dial up will have trouble with anymore pics on this thread.

Kristi

• PKponder TX Z7B
    16 years ago

Jeff is working on the bridge this weekend, so it should be completed before the planting day. I got a huge terra cotta pot so maybe think about one of the large plants for that, it's in the back corner under that nandina bush. I will pick up a couple bags of potting soil to fill it, I think it'll take at least 2 of the 40 lb bags, so wherever it goes, there will be no moving it after it's filled. I also picked up some cute little garden stake/ votive candle holders that I just stuck in the bed to be moved to whatever spot y'all decide on. Phyllis already brought over the arbor bench, it looks marvelous.