Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ltcollins1949

Evacuation-Vacation & Hurricane Dean (long)

ltcollins1949
16 years ago

When it looked like Hurricane Dean was heading to south Texas, we cancelled our Vegas trip, and then we rented a 31' RV and headed up to east Texas. We spent one night in Marshall (my DH's home town) and went shopping at Marshall Pottery, three nights at Caddo Lake State Park, another night at a RV park between Marshall and Jefferson (it had washers & dryers), then a night at Lake Livingston State Park, and Sunday night in Friendswood at my sister's house parked in the driveway. We got back to Rockport about 6:00 p.m. Monday.

We had a wonderful time RV'ing. It was so much fun. At Caddo Lake we had no telephone service, no internet service and no TV service. It was wonderful, but, . . . I wouldn't want to live that way all the time. Caddo Lake is booming, and we took a boat tour and checked out some homes on the market. I'll post some pictures that I took of Caddo Lake. Upriver is starting to develop, and we are thinking about buying some lots and setting it up for a RV, with electric, septic, and a boat dock. And I spent some time at the Marion County Historical Society in Jefferson doing some research on DH's family.

My sister and her family met us at Caddo Lake, and we drove into Marshall and had dinner with a friend of my brother-in-law that raises Paso Fino horses (115 horses right now), and he gave us a two-hour program. What incredible horses they are! He rode a stallion that scared me, well all of us, to death. He was kicking in his stall , trying to bite and trying to get out. He was a handful, and much more of a "horse" than I want to ride. My brother-in-law and niece rode some of the "nicer" horses. They both did very well at riding. And we ate three times in Marshall at Neeley's Brown Pig.

All in all, our evacuation-vacation turned out to be wonderful. Now if we can just make it through the hurricane season without anymore scares, we will be happy!

Have a great Labor Day!

Linda

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm