Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jolanaweb

What do y'all do?

jolanaweb
17 years ago

To boost your blood and immune system? Besides the obvious, foods that are good for you and vitamin supplements.

For years I have added Zinc, vitamin C, B-complex, and the herbs echinacea (purple coneflower) and hydrastis (goldenseal) to my diet. I was thinking that they weren't working but one of my new Drs (uses a lot of holistic techniques in her practice) says they would probaly work better if I gave up sugar, caffiene and worrying.

She said they actually inhibit your immune system.

I have read studies that agree but if you are genetically

predisposed, then what? LOL and how do you not worry???

Comments (28)

• terryisthinking
    17 years ago

I have a good 20 years of intense worrying behind me, so I speak from experience. You have to give your fears some thought from time to time, but when you find you are dragging yourself toward the abyss, you have to look up from your little problems and see the big picture. What I'm saying is worrying cannot be cured by food, but is a behavior. Recently there was a story about the oldest woman dying. She was 116. Her relatives and acquaintances said that she was very laid back, and accepted everything that came without inner turmoil. Now, she may have had a screw loose, but she was 116.

I recently found that I was faced with a problem that I could not handle. The fear, and the "out of control" feeling was overwhelming. On a short basis, I can take this, but we are talking a buildup of 20 years. I went to my gynecologist, where every good woman knows you get your psychological help. He gave me some antidepressants. I had never used them before, just relying on a happy nature, and exercise. But the change is remarkable. I am now able to cope with the situations where I must cope. It is also easier to let go of negative thoughts. They are not like a knife in my heart, but like a cog in the big picture.

My DD has been brought up in a hospital environment. So her choice of TV is the medical emergency channel. I sit with her sometimes to watch, and you see the world of problems that you do NOT have. Strangely, it helps.

There is a world of pain, and a world of hope. Of course we must participate in both.

I do think genetics plays a part. My sister is a worry wart, and her problems are nothing compared to what could be. I try to point that out, but it does not help.

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

Give up caffiene!? Coke would go out of business if I did that.

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

LOL, Kathy
    I guess there are different ways people worry. I worry if the kids are going thru *rough* things and if friends are doing okay, but I'm not a worry wart, lol A long time ago I realized most things are going to happen anyway, lol
    I just thought it was a weird thing for an Dr to say, lol "stop worrying" lol

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Since I am at the age, where a little extra help is warranted, I take calcium/magnesium every day, for mental balance and bone density, and a basic multi-vitamin (when I remember it), and my doc has me on Lipitor, whether I wanna be or not.

As for worrying.....I gave that up. There isn't a thing I could personally do, that would be a drop in the bucket, in solving the problems of the world.....or at least none that are legal.

So.....I live each day for that day, and do not concern myself about the next day, as there is no assurance I will get up the next day.

If things go as intended, I will move to the mountains in about 5 yrs., and maybe, just maybe, have a few years of truly enjoying life, before it ends.

No kids to drive me nuts. Live far enough from relatives to enjoy the rare visit, and yet be unaware of the problems they create for themselves.

Cut back to my one full time job, (with overtime required), and did away with my other business activities. So now, I feel like I'm just as busy as ever, even though I slowed down a bunch.

I put everything into perspective, and worry about nothing anymore. The world was here long before I was born, and although it has deteriorated a lot, over the years, it will be here long after I am gone. No one noticed my arrival, or my existence, nor will they notice my departure.

Such is life.

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, I take offense to that. I along with a bunch of people notice your existence. What would we do without your sense of humor and wisdom, lol

Which mountains are you going to? I keep forgetting to ask
    We had plans of retiring in Southern CO, where part of the Sangre de Cristo range would be our backyard view and Mt Blanc our front, lol Now DH says he doesn't want to deal with the snow, lol

I guess we will just keep going and camping there, lol

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Jolana, take the advice of Scarlett O'Hara - "fiddle-dee-dee, I will worry about that tomorrow". It has worked well for me as tomorrow becomes today and so on and so on.
    I also know that there are many concerns that are totally out of my control so I let these go also. It does take perseverance to get your mind set that way, but it will make you feel better in the long run. You will still have all the concerns that you have now, you will just deal with them differently.
    BTW, have you gotten any of my emails?

• trsinc
    17 years ago

Hi Jolana,

Glad to see you are back. Ginseng is supposed to be a good thing for the immune system. I take it sometimes when I am feeling run down.

And, I'm no expert, but I once read that you should not take echinacea all of the time. I think because it loses it's effectiveness... kind of like you build up a tolerance to it. But, don't quote me on that!

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

Jolana, I don't know what to tell you to boost your blood immune system but I've had my share of stress and worry and it's hard to tell someone to simply stop worrying.

It seems like when I'm with my kids or g-kids spending time together it makes all my worries disappear.

Read a good book or rent a movie. This will keep you in a good frame of mind.

You also need to read the last email I sent you. Try to find the Ocean. This will keep you busy. hehehe

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Okay, I'm not worrying about much, I thought it was weird that a Dr that is treating you for something would say don't worry

Carol, I never got an ocean thing and Carrie, no emails from anyone. After my siesta, I'll clean and reboot and maybe try some other stuff.
    Camp Swift is going strong, I think that's what it is

• carrie751
    17 years ago

I replied to the one you sent me and then resent it when you said you were not getting emails. Darn computers - always act up when we need them the most. I will try a new one and see if it goes through.

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

I sent the "What Ocean" thing again.
    Trust me, it's worth looking at.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

You are so naughty Carolann!!!
    I took meds to control the depression caused by Celiac. Thank God they were there to give me enough get-up-and-go to find out what the cause was! I also controlled my depression and boosted my own compromised immune system(Celiac makes your body attack itself) with exercise. Exersize when I was feeling weak included walks (if it wasn't too hot or I'd walk the mall early), a very easy workout tape,dancing to music in my living room or anything else that didn't sound too hard.
    Singing. I sing pretty well just by having done it for so long. However, I sing in the car or when I'm alone too. Singing relaxes,encourages good breathing,and causes endorphins to rise. All of these things boost your immune system.
    All in all the very best thing I ever did for myself was self-help groups. Constant worry and controlling behavior is a learned habit and can be unlearned and replaced by healthier ways. It takes a long time but in the meantime I get a little better each day. Every little bit does help. I've been in self help groups a long time but the time was going to go by anyway. I've met some fantastic people and gained real insight into who I am and what the plan for my life is. I've really never been happier. I was in a place where things could only get better when I started. I had so many self destructive habits! PJ

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

When you are retired, snow is a "never you mind." After all, you don't have any where you have to be!

Going to the Blue Ridge Mountains.....aka "the Blue Wall".

Sorta like the Wolf Creek area in Colorado, myself. Most any mountains are better than any other place for this person.

You might get a little book on the use of herbal remedies of the Cherokee Nation. It is available on-line. Tells you all about the medicinal qualities of many plants. Almost all medicines are derived from plant sources. Just the thing for a gardener. (smile)

Almost the same thing, except for the plants of course, from the Chinese herbal remedies. Actually some of the plants may be the same.

There are way too many herbal remedies in the supplements market, that can do harm on a regular basis, however, so you should know what is good to use, and for how long, for a particular malady.

You should also know that some should be made from fresh plants, and not dried plants.

Here's a link.

http://www.cherokeegiftshop.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=80

• mikeandbarb
    17 years ago

I'm asumming that the Dr. included not worrying because most of us do worry.
    I'm a big worry wart LOL but as I've gotten up in years learn it doesn't do me any good to worry what I cannnot do anything about.
    Now I take it day by day unless someone in the family is in need and I worry how they will get thing's done that needs to be done.
    For me right now my son has moved back home with some minor health problems and no insurance or money so I'm paying to have it done to get him back on his feet.
    Oh, he'll pay it back someday LOL when I get old to the point of not being able to care for myself I'll be calling on him LOL.
    Really it's a joy having him here, I miss him when he's not around and he's a great kid.
    My son worries that he'll never get married and have kids, where I worry that he will get marry and have kids he can't take care of. This I leave in the higher power what will be will be.
    Back your question, Dr say's not worry and this set you off worrying why she told you not to worry. Ask her next time you see her.

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

I've gotta run off to work, but I, too, learned to both appreciate life and to not worry (most of the time) because life is just too short to worry about things. I think taking care of my mother when she was declining is what did it for me. In spite of having alzheimers and cancer, she was almost always cheerful, and when people asked her how she was doing, she always reply, "Can't complain about a thing!" I think that was a good response.

As for physical immunity, I don't know a whole lot about that, but I agree with PJ, that exercise does so much to help the body function. Even light exercise.

Oops, gotta go, gonna be late for work.

Rick, can I go with you when you go to the Blue Ridge Mountains? Huh? Can I can I???? Pleeaase?

Sally

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Sally...Dunno if I should encourage a young lady to run away from home or not.

However if you was to ask me about some good places to be, in those parts, I would be happy to comment on that. (smile)

• civilmind
    17 years ago

Keep everything in perspective works for me. Someone sent me the rules below.

Five simple rules to be happy:

1. Free your heart from hatred.
    2. Free your mind from worries.
    3. Live simply.
    4. Give more.
    5. Expect less

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Live in the Sierra Nevadas. It's warmer than the rockies and nearly as beautiful! :^) PJ

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

I may be headed sort of that way next spring, but then again, maybe not. DD will be graduating, and may need help moving. When we moved her up to Boston, we came back by way of the interstate that goes close to/throught them. Not the Blue Ridge Parkway, although we did detour through there for part of the way. We didn't have time to take it the whole way. So, so beautiful. Have you read Bill Whatshisname's book about hiking the Appalacian Trail? I wish I could remember his name. That book was very interesting and entertaining.

Sorry, Jolana, got a bit diverted there.

This has become nearly impossible these days, but getting enough sleep, so I've heard, does wonders for one's health. I don't know too many people that actually do get a good 8 hours of sleep, but it's recommended by most experts.

Sally

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Sally, the Appalachian Trail runs from near Gainesville, GA (just NE of Atlanta) all the way to Maine. It is a tough hike, requiring weeks to complete, and a high level of physical conditioning and endurance. It is not really a trek for many of today's soft and weak humans. The average person who attempts it, seldom lasts for more than a few days, before coming out.

Still, the Blue Ridge Mountains are one of the few places left, where you can feel close to mother earth. The forest is full of wildlife (not as much as 200 yrs. ago, of course), the plants grow naturally with adequate rainfall, and moderate climate, and one can find a connection with the world of generations past.

You probably came down I-81 through Virgina, into Tennessee, and then took I-40 to Little Rock, and I-30 from there, back to Texas.

Along that route, you passed through the Shendoah Valley, and along the edge of the Blue Ridge Mountains for miles.

The Blue Ridge Parkway is a rather slow road, winding across and around the mountain peaks, and is great for leisurely vacationing, but not too good for fast travel. On the other hand, there are some very neat places to visit, up there, in the summer months. You can find ice along the roadsides into very late spring. (At one time, ice could be found up there, until early June.)

Near Elizabethton, TN is a natural rhododendron garden, covering an entire mountain top. The Cherokee National Forest, provides for habitat and recreation, alike. Streams still run, where kayaking and canoeing provide natural recreation. The lakes tend to run cold and deep. The hiking through the forest, is only limited by your own personal physical conditioning and endurance. Today, even elk (once made extinct there) have been reintroduced to the Smokey Mountain National Park, and hopefully, will be reintroduced in other areas of the mountains in the future.

It is a vacationer's wonderland, where you can set your own pace, and pick your own interests, for as long as you care to stay.

The one drawback, is it is historically a financially depressed area, where making a living is a struggle. So, it isn't an area for a lot of young people, seeking to make their mark on the world.

For those who are retiring, like myself in the near future, it is indeed a haven. For those who can be happy with a simple life, it is the same. For those who just go for a short time, and then leave, it will provide magic memories.

For everyone else....thankfully, they stay in the cities, and out of everyone else's hair. (smile)

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

I looked up that book I mentioned. It's called "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson. It's a very good book - more funny and entertaining than informative. I highly recommend it.

I couldn't even consider hiking the trail in one stint. I have 7 cats dependent on me, and I couldn't be away from them for that long. I would like to go hike portions of it from time to time. I did actually hike a few feet of it in the Berkshires in Mass, as part of another trial we were hiking. That was just after reading Bill Bryson's book, so I was pretty excited about "hiking" the appalacian trail - even if for only maybe 50 feet or so.

Sally

• beachplant
    17 years ago

I don't worry. About hardly anything, ever. Drives people nuts. But really where does it get you to worry? Doesn't solve anything, gives ya gray hair, wrinkles, ulcers, heart disease.
    And I live off Pepsi and meat. Lots of red meat. And shrimp.
    Relax, go in the garden, if you're going to "what if.." then what if BIG, what if a meteor hits the house? What if elves eat my toes when I'm sleeping...
    Tally HO!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    17 years ago

Below is an Amazon link to a really neat book with some good recipes for peace of mind. It comes with a relaxation CD.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peace Soup

• Bev__
    17 years ago

Jolana....I've been on antidepressives for 12 years, my problem is anxiety and a goofy need for perfection, it just....makes me crazy!!!!
    When I was in therapy we tried a lot of things, I found thinking happy/pleasant thoughts and keeping music in my head helps.
    Yep...get rid of the caffine & sugar. (I'm decafinated, but still hooked on sugar)
    Breathing properly is important. We need to breathe from/with our stomachs, helps get the imputities out of our bodies amongst many other good benefits we can get from just learning to breath correctly.
    Sex is good too and I don't mean that in a sarcastic way, it really is medically & mentally good for us.

• texasrose2
    15 years ago

I have just discovered Chia seed. It has been around forever, but I was never aware of the nutritional value. It is evidently what they call a super food. More omega 3's than salmon, more calcium than milk, better than blue berries. I can't explain why, but I mix a little with my breakfast cereal and I just feel SO much better! I'm losing weight, my blood pressure is down, I feel great and it is too easy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chia Seeds

• seamommy
    15 years ago

I worry all the time. Will my cancer come back? Every time I see the oncologist he says I look OK and then he schedules my next CT scan in just 3 months. Is my daughter in Iraq coming home safe? I take an antidepressant and it helps a little. Gardening helps. Centrum Silver helps too. I pray contstantly for my daughters safety and try not to think about what she is going through over there. I try not to worry about what her mental state will be when she transfers to her next command. I wish someone would tell me not to worry and that I could do it. Cheryl

• sylviatexas1
    15 years ago

There was a program on Channel 13 not too long ago, titled "Change Your Brain, Change Your Life".

If you can get the book or DVD or whatever, by all means do so; it's a real eye-opener.

Dr Daniel Amen (pronounced Ame-en), the psychiatrist/brain expert who hosted it dished out an amazing amount of solid information about the brain, how our diets & lifestyles affect our brains, & *how our brains are the most important 'things'* for our health & quality of life.

He showed brainscan images of healthy brains & not-healthy brains, & said that the researchers had to scan 3000 people to get images of 90 healthy brains!

The non-healthy brains were dramatically, disasterously damaged by alcohol, Alzheimers, smoking, crack cocaine, stroke, heart attack, inhalation of toxic fumes (don't go to work painting cars!), & probably some other stuff.

The markers for brain health were diet, exercise, & refraining from bad stuff.
    Diet was to include
    fish & fish oil (people who live in countries where lots of fish is consumed have much lower rates of suicide & depression),
    Omega-3 fatty acids (the brain is 60% fat; don't eat any fat & you'll starve your brain),
    avocadoes, walnuts, blueberries, broccoli, green tea (lowers the risk for Alzheimer's), spinach, tuna, oatmeal, turkey, red bell peppers (have a whole lot more of the good stuff than green bell peppers).

Exercise oxygenates the blood, making the brain work more efficiently & be less susceptible to depression.

Learning new things keeps the brain young;
    if you're a gourmet cook, learning a new recipe won't do it, you need something *new*. Learn to speak Chinese or dance the Tango or built a ship in a bottle.

He said that he'd no more diagnose depression than he'd diagnose chest pain;
    depression is a symptom, & the underlying cause has to be addressed.

Several things that we can adjust very easily will help our brains.

Gratitude:
    Every day, make a list of the top 5 things for which you are grateful.
    Gratitude gets the brain into positive habits.

Challenge & correct negative thoughts;
    thoughts lie!
    When you catch a negative or obsessive thought, say to yourself, "oops, that's just my brain" & replace the thought with something else.

Depression makes people feel more pain;
    Pain ages people & makes the brain function less well.
    Treating depression reduces pain.

interesting stuff, sorry it's so disjointed.

My plan is to type up my notes;
    I'll post when I've got them all together & email them to anyone who's interested.

just writing out my daily gratitudes has helped me a lot.

• liz_h
    15 years ago

I saw parts of that show, Silvia. One of these days I'll catch the whole thing. It was very enlightening.

The Bible says "A merry heart doeth good like a medicine." A recent study says that laughter increases Natural Keller Cell activity.

Here is a link that might be useful: Laughter up-regulates the genes related to NK cell activity in diabetes

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company