Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terryisthinking

a note on daughter

terryisthinking
17 years ago

To those that know McKenzie's story. She got one more chemo yesterday. They are hard to come by because her blood counts improve so slowly and go down so quickly. The news is that she broke her ankle 3 weeks ago, and I'm pushing her around in a wheelchair. That means also, that I have to drive my old beat up station wagon to hold the wheel chair and the a/c causes overheats when sitting in traffic. So we go early and drive fast with the windows down : )

busy busy

Comments (20)

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

OMG! Your poor girl! Heat,broken ankle and chemo! She's in my prayers.PJ

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

Oh Terry, that's awful. I'll be praying for you both.

• sylviatexas1
    17 years ago

Terry, I just sent you an email thru gardenweb,
    forgot that the "Preview" function doesn't apply to emails, so if there're errors, uh...

oops?

Take care when you're driving fast with the windows down early in the day!

holding you both in my thoughts & in my heart,

sylvia

• carrie751
    17 years ago

You are both in my prayers.
    God Bless -----

• gabriell_gw
    17 years ago

I'm thinking of you and your daughter.

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

Terry, y'all are certainly in my prayers.

• terryisthinking
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the thoughts. I've just about turned into a lurker here - but can't call myself a gardener anymore. It is one big weed patch where survival of the fittest is in full play. I'm thinking of just mowing it after the first freeze.

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

I'll be thinking of you and McKenzie. ((((hugs!)))) to both of you. Be careful!

Sally

• gardenspice
    17 years ago

Terry -
    I'm sending your family my best thoughts!
    GardenSpice

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Terry, I am so sorry to hear this news. I hope the weather cools down to give y'all a break. Y'all will be in my prayers.
    jolana

• terryisthinking
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You';ll never guess what's going on with the old Volvo now. The mechanic found this little switch. Apparently when I DON:T have the a/c on, this little switch doesn't work. The fan thingy doesn't turn and the car overheats. HOWEVER, when I'm running the a/c, the fan turns. Once it overheated, I kept turning off the a/c to help out the motor, I thought. Sooooo, even when it's 65 degree outside, our a/c will be on. Because, NO ONE can find where to get one of these little switches. It's been 3 weeks now.

Her ankle will be healed in 10 days and then it's back to the Tbird.

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

That's good news to know you are not roasting anymore.

• terryisthinking
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Whew - What a week.

First the new door came and it was the wrong size.

The Volvo died again. It died on Lemmon Ave. in Dallas. But I managed to pull into a burger place with a hose and after I asked around about a tow truck, I decided to have a burger and then try to fix it. The last time it happened a tatooed lady in Midlothian showed me how to put the water in, so I knew what to do. After an hour, I was able to get the lid off and get it running. I mean smoke was coming out when I drove in. But this is cast iron motor.

A Cuban transvestite gave me some directions. Nice nails.

I made it to a no-parking zone in front of Children's hospital. Just perfect for a tow truck to pull in. Daughter was in the hospital and I was bringing in her wheel chair. Anyway, it just so happened that a Red Oak tow truck driver was in town having dinner with his son, so he picked up my car. He took the key and waved. He didn't ask for payment and I don't even think he asked my name. As I wheeled the chair down the sidewalk, I wondered if I would see the car again (not really caring). But it was delivered to the repair shop cause they called the next morning. Maybe the tow charges will be on my repair ticket?

My daughter is out now, and home, and that dratted wheelchair has 5 more days to go.

They finally figured out how to fix the car - new radiator complete with switch that is unobtainable by itself.

I'm sleeping all day.

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

Terry, you poor girl. Are there any kinds of services that would take you back and forth to the hospital?

• terryisthinking
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Not that I know of - but this is a temporary problem. My "good" car is too small to hold the wheel chair - and the wheel chair is temporary - get rid of it next week. The Volvo is my ancient truck-like vehicle, and now it will have a new $350 radiator.

• Bev__
    17 years ago

I've met Mackensie....a few years ago and she is a doll, just as sweet as can be!
    Terry.....I've been out of town, just got back yesterday. For some reason I never checked the conversations while I was gone. I would have gladly lent you my little Ranger to get around in...it even gets half decent fuel mileage. I actually prefer driving that to my Expedition. If you get in a "bind" again, its available.

• terryisthinking
    Original Author
    17 years ago

A very generous offer Bev - I'm already thinking of things I could have done differently. Like get a transport wheelchair instead of a regular one. You live and learn. Hopefully she won't need another one. BTW my mom and a bunch of seniors are being tossed out of a mobile home park in Granbury - they are all out shopping for a piece of land, or somewhere to live.
    Have you heard of that?

• Bev__
    17 years ago

Hi Terry,
    I had heard that. How long do they have to relocate? I thought your mom had moved to PP. I'm not surprised the owner sold that land. I'm sure the city or someone involved with city politics had a hand in it somewhere or somehow, with the new development in that area.
    I don't know if you remember me telling you how we put in offers on the old Marina by the beach when we moved here. We could not get a response on our offers, even tho it was up for sale. We wanted to rebuild the Marina & add a restaurant. I knew then that something internal/political was going on with that whole stretch of property.
    Can they get help to develop another park off the lake on property thats not so valuble? That is one perfectly located piece of property. Big $$$ being spent there.
    If you want to make big money in Granbury, get on the city counsel, they have an inside track on what property to buy.

• terryisthinking
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I suspected as much. They are not able to move their mobile homes because they are all older than 5 years, and the other parks want new homes. Their old park is very nice, and neat, being all older people. Some of them only live there seasonally.

She said they would not be refunded any rent either. There is a man that wants to open a new park just for them, sort of a private park, but he is having trouble with the city council over the needed septic tanks. Even though there are other people in the area with septic tanks. Mom said if they got an attorney, it would have to be from out of the county.

• Bev__
    17 years ago

Your mom is probably right. Grandbury politics are very crooked. They make a big deal about not raising the tx base, but they doubled the prop value of lake property. Our taxes are over $5,000 this year and I went before the boards & fought it down some! I'm glad our new house has 1/2 the lake front our old house had. All other property values increased some too.
    The city just bought another building off the square to rent out to some restaurant. Two other buildings they bought are sitting empty. The old red theatre they bought for a fortune and sold for 1/2 what they paid for it was just tore down to build a hotel. The city said it couldn't be used because of asbestos, but the company that tore it down did nothing to contain the asbestos dust when they demolished it. They spent millions building a beautiful walking/biking tail that hardly anyone uses. They spent millions on a new courthouse and an administration building & new furniture. They're out of contol in my opinion. They gave themselves big raises this week too.