Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trsinc

Looking for skunk odor remedies

trsinc
17 years ago

I figure most of you have had at least one skunk experience since you're here in Texas.

This morning my dog was sprayed, again (3rd time this year). It got her in the face and neck and apparently inside her mouth. She came inside and threw up on the laundry room floor.

I've mopped the floor 3 times. Twice with an enzyme product which is more for the dog than the floor. And once with regular cleaner. But, it still stinks to high heaven in there. I don't want to soak the floor in tomato juice as I'm afraid it will stain if I leave it sitting there.

Any suggestions?

Comments (15)

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Nope. Tomato juice has always been the best fix.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

No clue. You do have my sympathy tho.PJ

• trsinc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, PJ. I just talked to a girl friend and she said to try toothpaste. She said that is what works best on her Mom's dog when it gets sprayed.

So, I'm gonna mix up some toothpaste and water and see if I can get the smell out of my laundry room!! I sure wish my doggie would learn to leave the skunks alone.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Toothpaste!!! Be sure it doesn't dry! Toothpaste actually has a grit to it like comet. I'd test a small area and see if it doesn't scratch the surface(linoleum?) of something that could be stained by tomatoe juice.PJ

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    17 years ago

A vet advised a friend of mine to bathe her dog in a solution of hydrogen peroxide & baking soda. If the skunk odor is really bad he said to make a paste of it and leave it on for 15 minutes. Hope this helps ....

• trsinc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey there, I tried the tooth paste (extremely diluted). I didn't rub hard and my vinyl floor seems to be ok. It helped a little with the smell, but it didn't get rid of it entirely. I guess I'll just have to let time do it's thing.

:-(

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Hi Trsinc, we have a dog that doesn't learn, Maisy Mae, aka Goofy Gal, lol
    This is the recipe I clean her with and also clean the bathroom after, lol
    Use all or dispose of leftover, it will blow, lol don't ask how I know that, hehehehe
    jolana

1 gallon water
    1 cup baking soda
    1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide
    1 tsp. liquid Dawn
    Mix all ingredients and wash.

• trsinc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Jolana,

The laundry room is smelling better, now. Next time I'll try it on my dog. Now, you're positive it won't blow HER up, right??? lol

Glad to see you are back! tr

• beachplant
    17 years ago

The October 18, 1993 issue of Chemical and Engineering News gives a formula developed by chemist Paul Krebaum:
    1 qt. hydrogen peroxide
    1/4 c. baking soda
    1 tsp liquid soap
    Follow the bath with a tap water rinse.
    TallyHo!

• terryisthinking
    17 years ago

I still remember my little sister in a weekly bath of tomato juice. Seems she couldn't leave our little skunk alone.

Skunk sure made a good pet - was like a cat, and would sleep on my mom's feet when she did the dishes. It would also sing when she sang. But my dad got rid of it when it pulled the insulation out of the refrigerator.

It only sprayed the one sister. And she pretty much deserved it.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

My mom had a skunk named Sugar when she lived in OK before I was born. It was descented and everything. She said it was really smart and funny as all get out.PJ

• trsinc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That is just the cutest thing I've ever heard. A singing skunk? What did it sound like? Whining, barking, meowing, what? I can't believe it only sprayed the one sister... hehehe lol! Too funny.

• terryisthinking
    17 years ago

I guess the closes thing to the sound would would be a cat noise - a hum with a bit of a purr in it. I remember it being a very clean animal, and when you picked it up, it would curl around your hand.

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Aww, lol I wonder why it just sprayed your Sister? Was she a brat?
    Lastnight the skunk smell was so strong and I just knew one of the ferals had gotten it but the ones that let me get close didn't smell, so for once we lucked out when it came to a skunk.
    I've never heard one, lol

• trsinc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We had a skunk last night too! It didn't spray, thank goodness. My husband pulled up in the drive way, after dark, and I turned on the light and went outside. He yelled out the window of his truck, "Watch out, the skunk is out here!" lol He thinks it is the same one that sprayed our dog the other day. He can I.D. it because he actually went out into the yard, with the skunk and the dog, and sprayed the water hose towards the dog to keep her away so the skunk could escape! What a brave, or stupid, man! lol We kept the dog locked up inside for the rest of last night!

They've really been bad this year. I guess because the winter was so warm?