Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grittymitts

REALLY need help

grittymitts
15 years ago

I need your help if you live in Duncanville area. DH is to be admitted to VA Hospital on Monday & I will need a hotel/motel relatively near there if VA family room is not available & may not be; they are 'First come, First served' basis.

Called & spoke to lady at Dallas PD South Central Station who told me the Red Bird Suites (3810 W. Ledbetter Rd) would be ok- can anyone here vouch for it; or should I ask if you were 71, female and alone, would YOU feel safe there? How about your vehicle? She also told me of JC Pelt Bed & Breakfast on Hustead...advice? If you'd rather, you can to send reply to: Suziq2k@aol.com

Thanks heaps 'n bunches!!

Suzi

Comments (10)

• User
    15 years ago

No, no, no, no! There is no way I would stay at the Red Bird Suites. The whole Red Bird area is not a good area IMO. I know you are trying to stay close to the VA (which is also not in a great area), but that hotel isn't any closer to the VA than places south of I20. There is a new Hampton Inn at about I35 & Wintergreen. It would be new & clean, and safe enough. If I were going to be staying somewhere for more than a day, I would check into the bed & breakfasts. I don't know anything about that one, but in general, they are quieter than a hotel, and if the hosts live in the house (some don't) I would feel safer coming & going late at night.

• mommyfox
    15 years ago

Red Bird is not an area I'd be comfortable in. If I were in your position, I'd look a little farther south - just a few exits down, in Cedar Hill. As a general guideline, stay south of Danieldale near 67 and you should be safe but still close.

• User
    15 years ago

grittymitts, where are you coming from? I have a neighbor who works at the VA. I'll see if she is home & knows anything.

• User
    15 years ago

Hope it's not too late. My neighbor called back & said you might even want to look at hotels in Mesquite. She agreed that that area is not a good place to be at night.

She also thought the hotels south of I20 on I35 would be good & had another suggestion. If you don't like driving on the freeway, you could stay at a hotel in Red Oak, at the Ovilla Road exit, and get on Hwy 342 (Lancaster Rd) from Ovilla Rd. That is how she goes to work & never has to deal with the highways. I feel really good about security in Red Oak too, lots of police patrolling & I've never heard of crime in the parking lots.

Either way, you probably want to be out of the VA before dark, and if the roads are unfamiliar, back to where you are staying where you can see well.

• grittymitts
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank Y'all soooo much!!!! I was already very leery- the area I drive through to get to VA doesn't make me feel real safe. (We travel from E TX on I-30, turn South on I-45 & across Loop 12 to Lancaster Road.) Seemed as if I was being directed even deeper into a scary area by going to Red Bird Suite; that's why I came HERE to ask.

We leave here early Monday morning, and you can bet I'll definitely not out at night...not even close to nightfall.

Suzi

• bobbi_p
    15 years ago

Hope all goes well for whatever they're admitting your husband. Been thinking about you. Stay safe!

• rick_mcdaniel
    15 years ago

Agree with the gals, that south of I-20 is better, and south of Main St. on 67, in Duncanville.

As far as safe....don't know I would feel safe in the VA itself.

• grittymitts
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We're home again! DG's heart biopsy shows everything is fine & not even adjustments of medication dosages were needed! They kept him an extra night due to spike in B/P, which had corrected itself by Wed. morning. The Social Worker for 'his' floor has to "OK" VA Guest rooms & she got me one for both nights- a very good thing, since only vacancies south of I-20 (without driving too far) was going to be $149. per night! Whew!

Actually, VA Police seem to be much more active in patrols, etc. -unlike a few years ago. Guess nationwide publicity about it being the worst in the U.S. and new Director have made the needed changes. Helpful, friendly staff, quick response to patient call bells, cleanliness, etc. have improved drastically since we were last there...and the guest rooms, while small, were very clean & comfortable & seemed very secure. Only Guests, Officers & cleaning staff can access door to hallway where these rooms are located; yet another another key is needed to get into rooms.

Thank all of you so much for your good thoughts and help in staying safe! I'm too darned old to run OR fight. :)
    Suzi

• carrie751
    15 years ago

Glad to know this all turned out so well, Suzi !!
    You take care !!

• bobbi_p
    15 years ago

Glad to hear things worked out well for you. It's bad enough you had to worry about your husband, let alone your own safety!

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz