Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janet_w

help ID plants please

janet_w
17 years ago

Hi Everyone hope you can help me ID these. Thank you

Janet

On plant 1 I thinks it's a purple amethyst but I'm probably wrong. The fluff on top is that where the seeds are? If yes how and when do I collect them?

Plant 2 what is it?

Plant 3 what is it?

Comments (5)

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

First one I'm guessing Amaranth too. Nice color!
    The second is Pokeweed. I grow Pokeweed on purpose and don't mind volunteers. However, it is known to be invasive. It's also mildly toxic(People can eat the young leaves if they boil and dump twice like acorns. "Poke salad Annie" and all sort of thing). I think it's pretty and birds are nuts for it. I get more pretty birds from that plant than the bird bath and feeder!
    The orange flowered is also another weed.Butterfly weed. Can be invasive as well. However, it is the larval food(white caterpillars with yellow and black stripes) of Monarch Butterflies. I was very dissappointed to find out what I thought was Butterfly weed in my garden wasn't! I envy you. PJ

• terryisthinking
    17 years ago

I've wondered what that 5' tall plant was. Pokeweed you say?
    It is a perennial, and so far I've only got one. Very exotic looking.

• janet_w
    Original Author
    17 years ago

PJ I have a few butterfly weed seeds if you'd like some..

Now back to the plant 1 question. Is the fluff on the top where the seeds are if yes how and when do I colled them?
    Thank you
    Janet

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Thanks Janet! I put down butterfly weed seed but it didn't take boo hoo.
    I read that amaranth is a vigerously reseeding annual. I don't know when to collect tho. My guess is fall? PJ

• little_dani
    17 years ago

Janet, wait for the amaranth to make seeds. You will know when they are ready. Same with butterfly weed. If you wait too long, it will pop and those seeds will go flying everywhere. That is what they were made for.

All these plants freely reseed.

You could visit the Seed Saving forum, lots of good info there.

Janie, who loves saving seeds

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Saver forum