Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pricklypearsatx

I just wanna cry

pricklypearsatx
15 years ago

I've been having all sorts of problems with my palms. They are expensive palms and two have died. One of the dead is a rare native palm from the Brazoria River area.

Thought it was herbide injury. Then, thought it was overwatering.

Then, thought it was a nasty fungus and bought several very expensive fungicides.

I also have to send samples to A&M plant pathology lab. Which costs money. But I have to get the right type of sample. And what if I have multiple pathogens on different plant? Like what if one plant has this and another has that? (It's $30 for one sample, so 3 samples are $90)

I took one sample to our local county agent, but he wasn't in last week.

Went back this week with new samples and he was out of town again. (Preserving these samples is a hassle)

I've investigated all of the causal issues with these and can find no rhyme or reason. Like some of the palms that are well established and have not recieved any supplemental irrigation are rotting.

The dying palms are also not in the same area of the yard either.

So, this made me think that it was a rare airborne extremely virulant fungus, so I called the University of Florida because they are the nation's palm pathology research center.

Florida told me that it sounded like bugs.

So, I went out to look for bugs. I found holes in the ground next to the dead plants. These holes are too big for bugs. They are tunnels.

Whether it's bugs or animals, their chewing causes wounds, which then allows the rot.

And the rot is still caused by a pathogen. So, the pathogen can still spread without the aid of these animals.

So the rot still needs to be diagnosed to see what specific pathogen(s) it is.

Now I've gotta figure out what animals these are and what to do about them.

So, now I need to call the exterminator. Good grief.

So far, two palms have died. One is gonna die. And two more look not very good.

Good grief!!

This just goes on and on. All of this has happened within the last two weeks. Like a cancer is attacking them or something.

I'm just worn out with this.

Thanks for listening to my vent. This is crazy.

Comments (7)

• ltcollins1949
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here in Rockport, we have the "Aransas County Tree Team". We are a small group of Master Gardeners that go to people's homes to give our assessment of what might be the causes of various tree ailments. We do not charge the home owner a fee. Sometimes, it is a simple question for us to answer. Other times, we recommend that the property owner contact TAMU. And lots of times, it is just planting the wrong tree in the wrong place, whether it be confined to a yard or to a part of the state. We recently examined some palms that were native to dry climates and hate wind. Obviously, they are not a good choice for the coast.

I assume from your home page that you live in Bexar County. If so, you might want to contact the Bexar County Master Gardeners directly and ask if they have any possible answer(s) for you.

• pjtexgirl
    15 years ago

How awful!!! I would be so upset. I hope you get some answers! PJ

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    15 years ago

Me too! Keep us posted.

• pricklypearsatx
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ltcollins: LOL I am a master gardener...
    shh...I don't tell people in the forum. (I don't wanna say something stupid, if you know what I mean)

My quest for the problem took my far and wide. I have recieved a lot of help from the International Palm Society.

University of Florida has a palm pathology lab in which Texas (state agencies, ag agencies can ship samples from their path labs for further diagnosis)

I called them because my problem just seemed so bizzare and widespread and they said, "It sounds like insects..look for bugs".

So, I went out and looked around my plants. Low and behold there were holes about the size of a quarter bored into the ground right next to my palms.

From there I was stumped. I had seen a lot of rhinoceros/ox beetles in my yard. As a matter of fact, I was "encouraging them" because I thought they were beneficial.

I wondered about those ox beetles, but I didn't have a specie name. Without a specific specie name it was impossible to do a google search to make a possible connection to my palms.

However, I went to a local Palm Society Meeting. The speaker said that the Rhinoceros beetle is the main cause of death of young palms in tne San Antonio area!!

When I got home from that meeting, I took a picture of one of my dead beetles. I got the name: Strategus Aloeus.

Then I googled Strategus aloeus and palms. Bingo.

But, the problem is, none of the internet documentation is in the United States. It is a major pest of palms in Mexico, Central America and beyond.

Pictures in Honduras show the exact same holes in the ground just like mine.

This insect is promoted as a beneficial in the US, but not Latin America. LOL

I have a bunch of hardwood mulch from tree trimmings that they are nesting in. I didn't do anything about them because I thought they were "good bugs". The mulch got spread here and there all over my yard.

Now, if I want to save my palms, I'm going to have to hurt some beneficials that are in the same space as these ox beetles.

Much of the documentation about this bug and palms is in Spanish. Some sources say the adults bore the palm. Some sources say the larvae.

Also, the lifecycle is different here than in the tropics.

I think in any large numbers these beetles can be pests. They are beetles with great big mandibles. In the tropics they have very high populations, where they also attack root crops. Just knowing something like this is enough to kinda keep them out of your vegetable garden etc. In small amounts I'm sure they're easy to control and harmless. Just take the one you see, usually once a year, out of the veggie garden, and through him over the fence.

In large numbers, I bet they get hungry and seek out our territory for food. (Palms are non toxic and the heart of a palm has long been known as food)

As to why these rhino beetles are considered beneficial, I really don't understand. They are "decomposers" such as earwigs, pillbugs etc. Maybe there is confusion with dung beetles which have a very specific function? The actual "specific" beneficial behavior of ox beetles is not documented.

I've read they eat fruit and roots, but that doesn't sound too beneficial to me.

I think they are called "beneficials" so people will not kill them. They are taken as trophies and sold. Also, some people are concerned that they could be poisonous.

These bugs are still considered "uncommon" in the US and some species of Strategus have gone extinct, so maybe there is confusion with that?

However, believe me, this bug is not at risk for extinction. It is alive and well all over Mexico, Central America and much of South America.

This is another good case, for collaborating with Mexico. Texas and Mexico constantly influence each other. Integrated Pest Management doesn't end at the border. LOL

Thanks for listening to me.

I'm soooo relieved that I have an answer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ox/Rhino Beetle

• ltcollins1949
    15 years ago

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS INFORMATION! I'm going to print it off and send it to our MG group. You have answered some possible problems for us down here in Rockport!

Linda

• bobbi_p
    15 years ago

So, is this a new epidemic to the area? Or is it something that regularly affects a few yards sporadically and you were unlucky enough for it to hit you this year?

Just curious, I don't have palms, but am oftened asked questions by people who know I garden. So I'll certainly file this one away for future recall.

So sorry for your losses, hopefully you can save the rest of your "babies."

• pricklypearsatx
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bobbi:

These rhino beetles were probably here before people were here. They go after young palms.

Most gardeners kill rhino beetles. I was silly enough not to kill them. I thought they were beneficials.

LtCollins: I'm glad that you found my information helpful. There is another problem called Texas Phoenix Decline. It affects mature palms.

Rhino beetles affect young palms, especially sabals, med fans, and queens.

I quick threw together a little webpage, because I want to "get the word out".

Nothing fancy, but it's supposed to be informative.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhino Beetle Blog

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer