Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
freshair2townsquare

work & wages in texas

A man owned a small ranch in Texas. The Texas Work Force Commission claimed he was not paying proper wages to his help and sent an agent out to interview him.

"I need a list of your employees and how much you pay them" demanded the agent.

"Well" replied the farmer "there's my farm hand who's been with me for 3 years. I pay him $200 a week plus free room and board. The cook has been here for 18 months and I pay her $150 per week plus free room and board. Then there's the half-wit. He works about 18 hours every day and does

about 90% of all the work around here. He makes about $10 per week, pays his own room and board, and I buy him a bottle of bourbon every Saturday Night. He also sleeps with my wife occasionally."

"That's the guy I want to talk to ... the half-wit" says the agent.

"That would be me" replied the Rancher.

Comments (6)

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

HAHAHAHA, great one, I guess I am the half wit at my house, LOL

• freshair2townsquare
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i'm certainly the half-wit - nobody pays the stay-at-home-mom nuttin'!
    ~ freshair

• vwtx
    14 years ago

That was a good one :)

i'm certainly the half-wit - nobody pays the stay-at-home-mom nuttin'!

But the media sure likes to come out with their studies every year letting us know just how much we're worth. This year I believe it's somewhere around $125,000. AWWW, isn't that just special? I'm still waiting for my check :)

• freshair2townsquare
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i'm truly blessed to have a husband who appreciates my contribution to the household goings-on - but those articles about the "value" of the housewife might be handy for those who are married to heavy-handed men who believe they should control the money since they're the ones who earned it

what i'd like to get, instead of an actual paycheck:
    1. paid sick leave (during which time i can *leave* my workplace until i'm no longer sick)
    2. contributions to a retirement fund (so i don't have to live with junior and his wife that i never liked in the first place - he really should have let me pick her out)
    3. paid tuition/airfare/hotel for workshops and conventions at which i can improve and refine my mommy/wifey skills (cooking school in paris, clothing during fashion week in nyc, yoga retreat on maui where i learn how to not throttle everyone b/c i've found my happy place and i can go there in a customized sequence of seven poses)

considering i'm helping to raise the next generation, i don't think that's too much to ask

~ freshair

• beachplant
    14 years ago

1) sick leave, you can't take off because we're too short, just come in for awhile and you can go home early. Oh, we took away all your sick time when we laid you off, no you don't get paid for that sorry!

2) State retirement. Think it will be there when I retire? The states are almost all broke and I remember when TRS operated in the red. And I contribute the money and they charge me fees.

3) Paid? Mandatory CEU's, we'll provide them!(hospitals when trying to get it passed). Yeah, once a month at NOON. Show me a nurse that gets an hour for lunch at a given time and I'll show you management. I pay for my own continuing education and try to find the cheapest/free that I can. Preferably short ones that I can do on the internet ON MY DAY OFF, cause no time while working.

Tally Ho!

• rick_mcdaniel
    14 years ago

Gotta admit, I wouldn't take the TRS retirement system....stayed with ORP, figuring if there was anyone I could not sue for messing with my retirement....it was the state.

Relying on government to treat you right, is like playing Russian roulette.