Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denisew03

Anyone else have this test done?

denisew
16 years ago

I went to an orthopedic doctor the other day about numbness in my arm which has been going on for about a month, but I've had carpal tunnel symptoms for a few years now - just getting worse and even worse with this pinched nerve. Anyway, he put me on pain killers (high dose ibuprophen during the day) and muscle relaxers (to help me sleep at night) for the shoulder thing, but I have to go back in for that nerve conductivity test in the next couple weeks. His office is supposed to call me on Friday to get it scheduled. I'm gonna get shocked. My husband had carpal tunnel surgery on his right hand and he was chuckling about it because as he described, "They shock you in the hand with the problem, but the other hand goes into spasms." And, he was quite graphic showing me how it was for him - with a smile on his face, of course. I think he tries to make light of it so I won't worry so much. Anyway, just how bad is that nerve conductivity test?

Comments (14)

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

Don't know hon. I'm sorry. Your DH has one crazy sense of humor tho! LOL!PJ

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

I have it in both hands up to my shoulders. I can't cross my arms under my head when trying to sleep. Anyway I've had the test done and DH husband is pulling your leg hehehe.
    I did not hurt one bit I could not even tell he was doing anything really.
    Wish the mologram had been so easy, now if you ever have that done come ask me about it. I was told it should not have hurt :(
    First time I've ever screamed in pain out of control and I had both my kids natural. But then a needle going into your spine is no fun.

• rick_mcdaniel
    16 years ago

Can't help with that one. Don't recommend an arteriogram, though.

• denisew
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Barb - Thanks. That makes me feel better. Hopefully, all this in my hand is due to my nerve being pinched and I'll only have to have some physical therapy, but I won't find out until I have that nerve conductivity test done in the next couple weeks.

PJ - Yep, my husband does have a sense of humor. He doesn't handle pain very well though. It is like everyone says - it is a good thing men don't give birth! ;-)

Here is a good one that has to do with my dad and brother: About 10-15 years ago, my dad had upper and lower GI scoped. Dad was kind of nervous about it - they did find he had a bleeding ulcer. But, my brother - with his sick sense of humor told him, "You know they put those scopes up one end and the other down your throat, then halfway through the doctor says, 'Switch!'" Boy humor . . . but we all got a good laugh from that comment!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    16 years ago

Denise,
    I have had that nerve conductivity test and like Barb said, it's nothing to fear. The twitching is kind of like when the doc taps on your knee to test your reflexes. No pain at all, just a bit of tingling.

Pam

• honeybunny2 Fox
    16 years ago

Denisew, I have had it done 3 times, on my left hand and twice on my right hand, and I can tell you that I have never felt any pain. Just strong tingling feeling, when the test is being done. I had the last test done this past June. Barbra,

• denisew
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well I did say my husband has a low pain threshold and it is a good thing that I was pregnant and not him! Ha! They called me this morning to set up the test. Now I just have to get off the pc and give them a call.

• gardenspice
    16 years ago

Hmm, I can't remember if there was a shock, but there must have been. The Dr. stuck needles in my arm and took readings with the machine and the test was called the same thing.
    It sounds just gruesome, but seriously, it was not bad. I'd prefer it to having my annual or having a tooth filled.
    (How's that for an endorsement!?)

• denisew
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So, I'm thinking it will be great now that school is starting in a week to have it done during school hours - like in the morning. But, no. He doesn't perform this test in the morning - only in the afternoon and only on Mondays! Isn't that crazy?! So my appointment is Sept. 10 at 2. I now have to ask a couple friends to pick up my boys from school.

• terryisthinking
    16 years ago

I've had the test - but don't remember any pain during - only pain upon paying. Very expensive.

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

I'd say something derogatory about oblivious men but Zitro would have to set me straight. PJ

• mrphixit3_att_net
    14 years ago

Had the tests done today. Two on left foot, three on right and one on right hand. No big deal. On the feet it was just like grabbing the hot wire on an electric fence. Nurse Cratchet said "It's at MAX now so it won't get any worse." Didn't make the remaining 30 or 40 blasts any easier to take.
    Hand was easier, each shock just made a fist for me and shot up the arm.
    Juan

• melvalena
    14 years ago

I've done it, nothing to worry about. Really. Kinda like those shocks you get from static electricity, but less so.
    I'm a big old chicken about pain too.

The tech doing mine said men are the worst about it.
    Especially electricians. Most of them don't even finish the series of shocks. :)

You'll do fine.

• beachplant
    14 years ago

I've done it to people. And in the ICU/OR we have this cute little machine we zap you with to see if you are sedated enough. If you move we give you more drugs. Or pull out your tube depending on what's going on. You can really make eyebrows jump around. And shock medical students.

Don't you know "it won't hurt" is one of the first healthcare tales we all learn? The second is "it will be uncomfortable".

Tally "Nurse Crachit" HO!