Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zitro_joe

I think I took a picture of a ghost...

zitro_joe
17 years ago

I was out messing with the camera tonight and the light from the street lamp caused a lens flare that looks like a smiley face. It is really wierd as it has never happened before. My wife claims to be creeped out by it. Take a look.

Joe

Comments (21)

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

That is creepy.
    Take some without the streetlight and see if the smiley face ghost appears.

Can you say Ghostbusters!!!!!

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

Were you slimed? :-)

Sally

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Well.....at least it wasn't called a Madonna, or Christ.

People see whatever they want in such things. As someone attuned to see the things light does, I know what it is, and it ain't a ghost, I assure you.

Now, you wanna talk spooky stuff, go see the Marfa or the Brown Mountain (NC) lights. Those, I cannot explain. (smile)

• zitro_joe
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It definately is not anything out of the ordinary, just a simple lens flare. I just thought it was neat. However, this morning my oatmeal did form in the image of Mary. I called the Vatican but I was put on hold.

Joe

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

Joe, you're so funny!

It really looks like the man in the moon.
    He's not scary.

Yea, oatmeal's not unusual but if you ever see Mary on your toast then be sure and list it on ebay. lol

• trsinc
    17 years ago

Rick! :)

So, what is it, exactly? You said you know what it is and I would love to hear the scientific/photographic explanation!!!

It IS creepy.

And, zitro joe, why were you photographing powerlines? Just curious.

tr

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

I think I know just from looking at the colors. A camera lens divides up light into it's color spectrum. The happy green and red face is red and it's negative color green.Am I close ????
    Other than that, it looks like a funny green happy face. It made me laugh it's so silly lookin!PJ

• zitro_joe
    Original Author
    17 years ago

trsinc,
    I collect power lines as hobby, just messing. I wasnÂt really taking pictures of the power lines, there were two reasons for the pictures.

1) I sometimes enter online photo contest on another forum site that I am a member of, this month's theme is dynamic lighting (non-studio). I was just toying with the streetlamp and scenery just to brainstorm. The clouds were really low and reflecting the city lights pretty well so I was out experimenting seeing if I could make photo with an illuminated background , silhouetted subject and a lit up foreground, while all at the same time having the viewer know that the picture was taken at night..

2) I wanted to test the technical limitations of my camera and lenses if I ever needed to take a picture in a similar situation I would know the setup to accomplish it.

As to how a lens flare is created, I donÂt know. I just know what it is.

Zitro_Joe

• gabriell_gw
    17 years ago

I'm sure there is a logical explanation but it is indeed creepy.

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

The answer is.....

The light is much brighter than the surrounding area, and the exposure was made for the surrounding area, which means the light source is over-exposed. That overexposure means the excess light is bouncing around in betweeen the elements of the lens, and results in what is referred to as "lens flare" which can take various forms, but the upshot is, the shape of the "ghost" image, is created by the way the light bounces around between the lens elements.

Now.......anyone who has a viable explanation for the Marfa or the Brown Mountain lights......I am listening.

• zitro_joe
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Rick,

That is easy - Aliens.

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Aliens are just ancestors. (smile)

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

Rick, there was a lengthy article in a recent issue of Texas Monthly about the Marfa lights. In part, they do think most of them are car lights from a highway, but not all of the lights. Some of the lights still have no explainations - many guesses, but no outright definative explainations.

Joe, I really thought you did that on purpose, digitally or or with a filter or something.

Sally

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Those "car lights" theories are mostly nonsense. I haven't seen Marfa's lights (even though I have been out there), but I have seen the Brown Mountain lights of NC, and there is no way to explain them at all.

The lights appear from nowhere, and they rise and fall, in altitude against the mountain side, and move sporadically, sometimes slow, sometimes fast and abrubt. This location is in a valley, far from people, and just getting to it, is a chore, as the only access is a forest dirt road.

There are still a great many things that science has not as yet found a good explanation for.

• zitro_joe
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Whoever said there had to be a great scientific explanation? I remember when crop circles were an unexplainable phenomena, and we all know how that went down. Then there was the video of big foot, another hoax. I am not saying something extraordinary isnÂt happening, but I am definitely not ruling the possibility of foul play.

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Did I mention, the Brown Mountain lights have been seen since the 1800's?

How did the crop circles go down? Seems they are still in the news.

• zitro_joe
    Original Author
    17 years ago

1800s? Is that when you first saw them?:) It went down like this.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crop circles

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

See...? He was being sneaky and God struck him with airline sludge! TSk TSk.LOL!PJ

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Yup. I am that ancient. (grin)

No, the phenomenon was recorded by settlers of that area, that long ago. Certainly long before any cars were made. Scientists have been trying to figure them out ever since, to no avail.

Funny....that article referred to the crop circles reported earlier.....before the hanky panky. Back to the original premise....where did the first ones come from?

Or, on a grander scale, how did the Native Americans know that North America was shaped like a turtle, long before Columbus?

• zitro_joe
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That goes back to to my original answer, Aliens. Maybe Hubbard wasnt trying to avoid taxes....oh wait...reality check. Okay I am back now.

• beachplant
    17 years ago

Gee Joe, thought we were going to have to start calling you Tom...
    L.Ron was crazier than a june bug. He's probably still laughing his butt off there in alien land.
    A celebrity center??? What if you are just rich? Do you get to go to the Rich center? And why don't Catholics/Protestants/Methodist/etc. have handlers? I mean if you want to be a Methodist you pretty much just show up.
    You can come photograph the power lines by my house anytime you want. If you can see them for the trees that is!
    TallyHO!