Helpful Hints, Home Remedies

Posted by sylviatexas z8a Tx (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 23, 06 at 9:21

Found this on another forum:

1. Budweiser beer conditions the hair

2. Pam cooking spray will dry finger nail polish

3. Cool whip will condition your hair in 15 minutes

4. Mayonnaise will KILL LICE, it will also condition your hair

5. Elmer's Glue - paint on your face, allow it to dry, peel off and see the dead skin and blackheads.

6. Shiny Hair - use brewed Lipton Tea

7. Sunburn - empty a large jar of Nestea into your bath water

8. Minor burn - Colgate or Crest toothpaste

9. Burn your tongue? Put sugar On it!

10. Arthritis? WD-40 Spray and rub in, kill insect stings too, remove glue from labels on plastic containers.

11. Bee stings - meat tenderizer

12. Chigger bite - Preparation H

13. Puffy eyes - Preparation H (but don't get it in your eyes)

14. Paper cut - crazy glue or chap stick (glue is used instead of sutures
at most hospitals)

15. Stinky feet - Jell-O!

16. Athletes feet - cornstarch

17. Fungus on toenails or fingernails - Vicks vapor rub
17a. Infection in/around nails - White Vinegar
18. Kool aid To clean dishwasher pipes. Just put in the detergent section and run a cycle, it will also clean a toilet. (Wow, and we drink this stuff)

19. Kool Aid can be used as a dye in paint also Kool Aid in Dannon Plain yogurt as a finger paint, your kids will love it and it won't hurt them if they eat it!

20. Peanut butter - will get scratches out of CD's! Wipe off with a coffee filter paper.

21. Sticking bicycle chain - Pam no-stick cooking spray

22. Pam Will also remove paint, and grease from your hands! Keep a can in your garage for your hubby

23. Peanut butter will remove ink from the face of dolls

24. When the doll clothes are hard to put on, sprinkle with corn starch and watch them slide on.

25. Heavy dandruff - pour on the vinegar!

26. Body paint - Crisco Mixed with food coloring. Heat the Crisco in the micro wave, pour into an empty film container and mix with the food color of your choice!

27. Tie Dye T-shirt - mix a solution of Kool Aid in a container, tie a rubber band around a section of the T-shirt and soak

28. Preserving a newspaper clipping - large bottle of club soda and cup of milk of magnesia , Soak for 20 min. and let dry, will last for many years!

29. A Slinky Will hold toast and CD's!

30 To keep goggles and glasses from fogging, coat with Colgate toothpaste

31. Wine stains, pour on the Morton salt And watch it
absorb into the salt.

32. To remove wax - Take a paper towel and iron it over the wax stain, it will absorb into the towel.

33. Remove labels off glassware etc. rub with Peanut butter!

34. Baked on food - fill container with water, get a Bounce paper softener and the static from the Bounce Towel will cause the baked on food to adhere to it.
Soak overnight. Also; you can use 2 Efferdent tablets, Soak overnight!

35. Crayon on the wall - Colgate Toothpaste and brush it!

36. Dirty grout - Listerine

37. Stains on clothes - Colgate

38. Grass stains - Karo Syrup

39. Grease Stains - Coca Cola, It will also remove grease stains from the drive way overnight. We know it will take corrosion from car batteries!

40. Fleas in your carpet? 20 Mule Team Borax - Sprinkle and let stand for 24 hours. Maybe this will work if you get them back again.

41. To keep FRESH FLOWERS longer Add a lit tle Clorox , or 2 Bayer aspirin, Or just use 7-up instead of water.

42. When you go to buy bread in the grocery store, have you ever wondered which is the freshest, so you "squeeze" for freshness or softness? Did you know that bread is delivered fresh to the stores five days a week?
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Each day has a different color twist tie. They are: Monday = Blue, Tuesday = Green, Thursday = Red, Friday =
White and Saturday = Yellow . So if today was Thursday, you would want red
twist tie; not white which is Fridays (almost a week old)! The colors go alphabetically by color Blue - Green - Red - White - Yellow, Monday through Saturday. Very easy
to remember. I thought this was interesting. I looked in the grocery store and the bread wrappers DO have different twist ties, and even the ones with the plastic clips have different colors. You learn something new everyday!
Enjoy fresh bread when you buy bread with the right color on the day you are shopping.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Helpful Hints, Home Remedies

WOW, what a list, Sylvia. Don't think I can add anything to it.

o
RE: Well, I just found.....

I just found some more!

Bed Sheets
After drying my sheets, put both sheets and one pillowcase in the other pillow case. Fold neatly in a square. Next time you change sheets, you just take the one pillow case and all the sheets and pillow case are inside. No need to look for matches.

Clean your glass shower

To clean the glass in your shower easily, apply lemon juice to the glass with a sponge. Then, take newspaper and wipe the lemon juice off the glass. It will be clean and sparkle with no scrubbing!

Reheat Pizza

Heat up leftover pizza in a non-stick skillet on top of the stove, set heat to med-low and heat till warm. This keeps the crust crispy. No soggy micro pizza. I saw this on the cooking channel and it really works.

Easy Deviled Eggs

Put cooked egg yolks in a zip lock bag. Seal, mash till they are all broken up. Add remainder of ingredients, reseal, keep mashing it up mixing thoroughly, cut the tip of the baggy, squeeze mixture into egg. Just throw bag away when done easy clean up.

Expanding Frosting

When you buy a container of cake frosting from the store, whip it with your mixer for a few minutes. You can double it in size. You get to frost more cake/cupcakes with the same amount. You also eat less sugar/calories per serving.

Reheating refrigerated bread

To warm biscuits, pancakes, or muffins that were refrigerated, place them in a microwave with a cup of water. The increased moisture will keep the food moist and help it reheat faster.

Newspaper Weeds-Away

Start putting in your plants, work the nutrients in your soil. Wet newspapers, put layers around the plants overlapping as you go, cover with mulch and forget about weeds. Weeds will get through some gardening plastic, they will not get through wet newspapers.

Broken Glass

Use a dry cotton ball to pick up little broken pieces of glass - the fibers catch ones you can't see!

No More Mosquitoes

Place a dryer sheet in your pocket. It will keep the mosquitoes away.

Squirrel Away!

To keep squirrels from eating your plants sprinkle your plants with cayenne pepper. The cayenne pepper doesn't hurt the plant and the squirrels won't come near it.

Easier thank you's

When you throw a bridal/baby shower, buy a pack of thank you cards for the guest of honor. During the party, pass out the envelopes and have everyone put their address on one. When the bride/new mother sends the thank you's, they're all addressed!

If you purchase a new bike for your child, place their picture inside the handle bar before placing the grips on. If the bike is stolen and later recovered, remove the grip and there is your proof who owns the bike.

Flexible vacuum

To get something out of a heat register or under the fridge add an empty paper towel roll or empty gift wrap roll to your vacuum. It can be bent or flattened to get in narrow openings.

Reducing Static Cling

Pin a small safety pin to the seam of your slip and you will not have a clingy skirt or dress. Same thing works with slacks that cling when wearing panty hose. Place pin in seam of slacks and -- voila -- static is gone.

Measuring Cups

Before you pour sticky substances into a measuring cup, fill it with hot water. Dump out the hot water, but don't dry the cup. Next, add your ingredient, such as peanut butter, and watch how easily it comes right out.

Foggy Windshield?

Hate foggy windshields? Buy a chalkboard eraser and keep it in the glove box of your car. When the windows fog, rub with the eraser! Works better than a cloth!

Reopening envelope

If you seal an envelope and then realize you forgot to include something inside, just place your sealed envelope in the freezer for an hour or two. Voila! It unseals easily.

Conditioner

Use your hair conditioner to shave your legs. It's a lot cheaper than shaving cream and leaves your legs really smooth. It's also a great way to use up the conditioner you bought but didn't like when you tried it in your hair...

Good-bye Fruit Flies

To get rid of pesky fruit flies, take a small glass fill it 1/2" with Apple Cider Vinegar and 2 drops of dishwashing liquid, mix well. You will find those flies drawn to the cup and gone forever!

Get Rid of Ants

Put small piles of cornmeal where you see ants. They eat it, take it "home," & can't digest it so it kills them. It may take a week or so, esp. if it rains, but it works & you don't have the worry about pets or small children being harmed!

Take baby powder to the beach

Keep a small bottle of baby powder in your beach bag. When you're ready to leave the beach sprinkle yourself and kids with the powder and the sand will slide right off your skin.

o

Sylvia, thanks. You not only gave helpful hints, you gave me something to do. I printed them out now I'm pasting them in my folder.
Thank you
jolana

o

Sylvia great tips, I've got a big problem with ant's and I'm going to put out some corn meal ASAP.
Only tip I can add is how to make cheap gardening stakes, I use wire clothes hangers, I cut the j hook off at the bottom of the twist, then straighten hanger out with a pair of pliers, then I bend one end of the hanger about 1 1/2 to 2 inches from the top making a hook to hold the stem. Maybe I should bring one to show how it's done at the swap?

o

I finally remembered one I use. Vinager instead of expensive Enzimes (Nature's Miracle) for accidents from dog or cats. I had an in-home inspection to get one of my puppies and the lady couldn't believe I had so many animals and no animal smell.It really works.PJ

o

When making potato salad, boil your eggs and potatoes in the same pot. I thought everyone did this, until my ex DIL commented on it years ago.

When fixing hamburgers for very little ones, spread the meat on both sides of a burn and put on the grill. The "meat" will be cooked to the bun and won't slide out.

o

Any oil, mayo or whatever applied to the hair at night and then washed out in the am will kill lice. Use dawn dishsoap to wash it out. Tally HO!

o

Hair conditioner can also be used on the body...pour a bit in your hands & rub into your skin. Leave on a few seconds; a quick rinse leaves your skin oh so smooth.

One of the most expensive Spa's used to make their own tanning lotion with hair conditioner & strong tea...not that I ever had the big bucks to go, but a friend did & shared the "recipe."

Suzi (who loves helpful hints)

o

When making homemade mashed potatoes add mayonnaise along with milk, butter, and other ingredients it makes them SO fluffy and creamy! use however much u want to make it as creamy and deklicous as you want! I thought this is how everyone made their taters until i tasted someones mashed taters with just butter and milk! lets just say they were awful!

To find the freshest loaf of bread look at the color of the twist tie! the xchart goes like this:
if stocked on...
Monday=Blue
Tuesday=Green
Thursday=Red\Friday=White
Saturday=Yellow!

~LiLKCBabe

o
Banana Uses RE: Helpful Hints, Home Remedies

Ten Alternative uses for Bananas By DIY Maven
People are using bananas to make some weird stuff, let me tell you. But, in the interest of spreading the knowledge, from the not-so-odd to the head scratchers, here goes:

10. Aphid deflector: Burying dried or cut-up bananas peels a few inches deep around the base of your rosebushes to detract aphids.

9. Fertilizer: Potassium rich, bananas are great for us as well as our gardens. Dry out leftover peels over the winter months. In the spring grind them up with a food processor or blender and use them as mulch when transplanting new plants or seedlings to give them a boost. Dont feel like drying out and processing the peels? No worries; just bury them in your compost pile.

8. Butterfly and bird charmer: Most people I know either throw away overripe bananas or make banana bread out of them. An alternative to these might be to place the blackened nanners on a raised platform out in your yard. Itll attract birds and butterfliesas well as bees and wasps, thus the raised platform.

7. Face mask: Mash up a medium-sized banana, OR combine 1/4 cup plain yogurt, 2 tablespoons honey and 1 medium-sized banana, OR combine 1 egg yolk, 2 tsp. almond oil and 1 medium-sized banana. Apply one of these mixtures to your face and neck and leave on for 20 minutes. Wash off with cool water and pat dry.

6. Leather polish: Use the inside of a de-stringed banana peel for a quick shoe shine. Finish up with a buff using a soft cloth or paper towel. The same technique is said to work for silver too.

5. Roast Tenderizer: Toss a peeled nanner into the pan the next time you think your roast might turn out a little tough.

4. Houseplant cleaner: Wipe your houseplant leaves down with the inside of a banana peel to remove dirt and leave a shine.

3. Ointment: Rubbing scrapped knees with the inside of a banana peel will help promote healing.

2. Wart Curative: Got a wart? Rub it with the inside of a banana peel. The potassium-rich peel is supposed to get rid of the wart.

1. Teeth whitener: Liam McGinlay says hes been using the inside of banana peels on a daily basis to whiten his teeth for the past two years. He rubs the peels in a circular motion across his teeth for about 2 minutes. He says the effects should be seen in as little as 2 weeks.

o

Use Pine Sol to remove ink stains from clothes. Pour a few drops on the stain and rub it in, the stain will dissolve.

If you have a lot of minerals in your tap water, use vinegar to dissolve buildup around sinks and fixtures. I also recycle the filters for my cool mist humidifier by soaking them in a cup of vinegar after each use to remove mineral salts buildup.

Cheryl

o

Here's another one: Moth balls in a sock under the hood of any vehicle parked outdoors will repel squirrels, rats and other rodents that get in there and chew the coating off wires and hoses. Cost me over $400 in repairs to Big Red and the guy told me that he'd seen a rash of similar damages to vehicles that were regularly parked outside.

DH doesn't like the smell either so he stays away from my truck too. Unexpected benefit!!

I also put a sock of mothballs in my potting shed to keep the rats out of there. So far this winter I haven't seen any sign of rats or mice so I guess it's working. Cheryl

o

"DH doesn't like the smell either so he stays away from my truck too. Unexpected benefit!!"

snork!

o
Natural Home Remedies

Aloevera juice is a very well known natural remedy to control heartburn.

Here is a link that might be useful: Natural home remedies

o

I love the idea of using the hair conditioner for shaving legs. I need to try that one.

My husband has used dryer sheets in his pockets when he is out camping and it does work to keep the mosquitoes away.

Baby oil is great to remove the oil sludge from your skin that you sometimes get down at the beach (and most of us are avoiding many beaches along the Gulf for that very reason!) We found this out last summer when we were down by Corpus Christi and one of my boys had it on his legs.

Brunettes - Use soy sauce as a rinse in your hair to enrich the natural color. Comb it through your hair and let it sit for a few minutes, then rinse.

I need to add this list of helpful hints link to my favorites so I can pop back and refer to it later. Thanks everyone for posting these great ideas!

o

I would also like to add, as a preventative measure against lice. Put tea tree oil in your child hair after cleaning, use a dime size amount and work it through damp hair. My girls loved the smell & there hair looked beautiful the next day.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here