I just got an email from Elizabeth ~

Gonna be a grandma. Help!!!

Comments (27)

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Oh my. Talk about good/bad news in the same sentence! ((((Jac))))PJ

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

You won't need help. Knowing what has transpired, just be there for her and love that baby. She won't say so, but she really needs you now.
    And you will be there for her and baby. Gbabies are such a joy.

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

Congratulations Jac, you'll be a cool grandma.

Having grandbabies is the best thing ever.

Grammie Carol

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

Congratulations! What a thrill and a worry, at the same time. I agree, you'll be a cool grandma, Jac.

Sally

• Jacquelyn8b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks! It's 11:30pm, we just got back from going to the Renfest and visiting my mom. The shock is wearing off although I was hoping for another decade before this happened!

Danny and I discussed everything from car seats and strollers to turning the front guest room into a nursery, and debated the proper age to start teaching the grandbaby to ride a horse. Is this typical?

Reality check - You're not kidding Kathy, that girl is scared to death. We will help her in any way except making the BIG decision. She will have to decide whether to keep the baby or allow her to be adopted.

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Yes, it's typical, I had my oldest DD barrel racing when I was 2 months pregnant. We had all kinds of *sports* toys when we found out my youngest DD was having a boy.
    He hates sports by the way, lol
    Just the fact that Elizabeth emialed instead of calling or telling you in person she was scared and wanted to say it and give you time to take it in. At least she did that instead of trying to bear it all for awhile.
    I was hoping it would be awhile also but when I read baby to be, I thought it was going to be YOU.
    You and Danny start tons of *alone* time now, lol
    BTW, I have an extra room that I can turn into a nursery in a heartbeat, lol
    Congrats and hugs

• Bev__
    17 years ago

Ditto to everything...you'e getting good info.
    The next step is waitng to see how she wants to handle this and from what you said about the daddy, hope they don't think they have to get married, beause then you'll be having divorce problems and maybe even another baby.
    ONE STEP & ONE WORRY AT A TIME

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

That has become the most common afflication going around, today.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Sheeeeeeeiiitt, Rick I've got news for you! It's ALWAYS been the most common affliction going around. That's why we're all here! LOl!PJ

• mikeandbarb
    17 years ago

LOL PJ, that's true.
    Gbabies are a blessing, ya'll have my prayer's I hope everything works out for everyone.
    You think you love your kids then comes a Gbaby oh what a joy. I don't know what it is, I could never put my finger on it but oh how much I love my two Gbabies that are now 12 and 8. Yes, you will worry about them just as much as you worry about your kids. Then they melt your heart away. One thing is that you have more time with Gbabies your not raising them so you get to enjoy them in a different way.
    Congrats, Barb

• Jacquelyn8b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jolana, you were right in a roundabout way -
    "I was hoping it would be awhile also but when I read baby to be, I thought it was going to be YOU."

They want us to adopt the baby. She will probably change her mind several times a day until she can't (legally) change it anymore. But it is such wonderful news!

They realize they can't pay for any aspect of this, they have no patience and don't want to write off their teen years. (The boy is six-friggin-teen!) I told my husband to dust off the checkbook. Prepare to be poor and sleep deprived for the next few years.

Honestly, we are so excited it's beyond description!
    I couldn't sleep last night for planning the 'discovery' garden and play area.
    I know, I know - cart before the horse...

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Jacquelyn......hate to say this....but you are taking on other people's trouble, and you will pay the price for it.

Not a smart move....any more than the teens folly, in the first place.

Please rethink what you will be doing to your life, and your husband's life, for many years.

Let this child go to a good home, where a child is needed.

• Jacquelyn8b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Rick, we TRIED to get her to allow the child to be adopted but she will not discuss it.
    She completely refuses to give the baby to "strangers".
    We will keep trying though.

Nothing will be certain for many months.

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Well, experience and knowledge need to prevail over the folly of youth. I hope she changes her mind. Expecting her parents to pay for her mistakes, is not at all "adult".

• little_dani
    17 years ago

But...THAT is what parents do, especially when kids mess up, make a mistake.

Jac, my parents raised/adopted one of my children, a boy. I was married to the childrens father even, and he was the 4th of 6!

He had some particular medical needs, lots of surgery involved, and we were a military family. He started his surgery in Houston, with Cronin, Brauer, and Biggs Clinic, and after getting in there, we certainly didn't want to move him to Michigan, which was going to be home for a while next, then New York state.....and on and on and on....

Anyway, there are pros and cons. I was not the least bit happy for my Daddy to discipline him harshly. On the other hand, my mother came close to ruining him. She did EVERYTHING for him. He always knew I was Mama, and his Dad was Daddy.

My Mama and Daddy loved that child- you cannot imagine the bond. And he loved them too.

Now, he is way grown, and close, and his medical problems taken care of long ago. It was the only solution to many problems, and I don't regret it one bit.

It is just a decision you have to make. Nobody else can do it, and whatever y'all decide I know will be best for Elizabeth, Baby, and you.

Whatever you decide, I wish you much happiness. I know you are strong, no doubt in my mind that you can handle it.

Janie

• Jacquelyn8b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, Janie. I know some of y'all have been through some 'stuff' with your kids and that your experiences would help me gain perspective on this situation.

Last May, that girl turned 18 and apparently lost her mind. We hope that her raising will kick back in before she does something (else) that can't be undone.

I'd like to say that I'm not excited about the baby, but then I'd be lying. We're absolutely NOT happy with Elizabeth for doing this intentionally with no income or thought of the future.

I've stopped talking to her about it, for now at least. Her latest demand was that we pay all her expenses so she and Trey can give parenting a "test run." (No, I didn't flip out.) We told her that she is on her own and wished her luck.
    It's sooooo hard.

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

Girlie girl, I know it is hard, but I suspect if you don't subsidize them, their idea of trial run might run out of steam. My vote is with you on the "best of luck".
    Just know that I love you and wish the best for you.

• mikeandbarb
    17 years ago

Jac, all I can say is God be with you all. I know it's a hard decision to make for everyone concerned. As a mom and grandma I know your thoughts are with your child and grandchild.
    You have my prayers that all goes well.

• Dena Walters
    17 years ago

I know I havent been here in a while (working and taking care of GBaby, whom I adore)...
    Congratulations!!
    When my daughter told me she was preg. it was only 2 months after my son got out of the hospital and was still doing the Chemo....
    I was shocked...and a bit hurt...BUT that was still MY grandbaby...
    How can you not love this?

My prayers are with you and your family and your daughter and the baby. My daughter did not marry the dad (which was a very good thing!)...And me and my DH watch Colby (GS) very very often...she does work though... We do financially help out on the daycare side and insuring that they have food..but He is with us ALL THE TIME!!..and I just would not have it any other way, he is truely a Blessing!!
    Good Luck and Congratulations again!! When is the expected due date?
    Dena

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Dena, that is one cute kid! PJ

• Dena Walters
    17 years ago

Thanks PJ...man he is a joy to our lives (although I could ring his mothers neck at times..lol!)
    Do we know when Jac will get out of the hospital?
    Or how she's doing?
    Dena

• mikeandbarb
    17 years ago

HI Jac, How are thing's going? I hope it's better than you thought it would be.
    When my daughter found out she was preg-o she and her husband had nothing, no money to pay for everything needed for the baby to be, So I did what I could and bought just about everything needed for the baby. I never regreted doing for them or the baby. Then I had been there myself and had help from my family so I did the same for my kid's.
    Not to say it's the best thing to do but it's what I wanted to do. Grand kid's will get your heart string's fast.
    When my grand daughter was about 4 months old her mom came down sick with a flu or something and they just happen to be at my place. I took care of my grand baby all day while her mom slept and when her mom got up she was shock that her baby did just fine without her LOL, I asked my daughter who do you think took care of you my dear LOL.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Jac is at home and sounds good. No word on her situation with the DH & baby.
    With very few exceptions that I know of, a baby is a much bigger finacial strain than the parents ever suspect! My ex had a really good job and we struggled for awhile getting used to having much less spending money. When I left him and had to go it alone it was terribly hard. God helps those who help themselves and it eventually gets easier.PJ

• Jacquelyn8b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

She showed up on my front porch yesterday afternoon with all her luggage.
    Some 'friend of a friend' dropped her off and left.

She's really thin (barely showing), depressed and hasn't been taking her prenatal vitamins.
    Actually, she never got the prescription filled.

I suddenly feel soooo old.

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

She knew where and whom to come to.

• Dena Walters
    17 years ago

ohhh jacs,
    It will seem reallly hard initially (oh wait...its still hard..lol), but .... When that lil' bundle of love is born...WOW...Im not sure I was that excited when I had my own kids.
    And ... our colby brings a whole new love and warmth to our family.
    I truely cannot imagine what our lives would be like without him
    You hang in there and tell your daughter, Take her vitamins!!! : )
    You and your family will remain in my prayers!!!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    17 years ago

At least she's home with you to look out for her. My eyes are pretty misty from just reading this thread. I've got a 19 year old DD that just moved out 7 months ago and I worry. My 19 year old neice is 4 months pregnant and lives at home with my sister.

You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Pam