Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justintx_gw

Hummer Migration

justintx
14 years ago

Hey guys, the migration is on. Tally mentioned it on 'Hummers Spotted' so I thought I'd break it out on its own thread.

I've had more hummers this a.m. than I've ever seen. Almost a swarm! They emptied my feeders and seem to be content to share (sometimes). I've had as many as 4 at one feeder with one hovering.

Fun to watch, but signals the end of most hummer activity for me til spring. Hope ya'll are having as much fun watching them.

Jim, Tally - heads up! coming to ya!!

J.D.

Comments (80)

• melvalena
    14 years ago

I thought my hummers had left!!! :( I saw one early this morning on the feeder furthest from the house. Saw nothing else the rest of the day... until about 30 minutes ago!

They've got fresh syrup and are happy again.

Cold front is supposed to come through over night Monday. Tues' high is supposed to be around 68*.. I wonder if they'll stay much longer after that?

• justintx
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I STILL have swarms. I truly wish I could show ya'll this, but a single picture just doesn't capture all of the activity. I just counted 8 trying to get on the one feeder (they don't go to the others as much) and there were many others just flitting all over the yard. I'd invite ya'll over, but I'm sure they would disappear and ya'll would call me ugly names....................again.
    ;-)
    If you're gonna be around Justin, be sure and drop by.

jolana - it is interesting to see the 'pre-RU' pictures. Carrie laughed and laughed at me once when I told her I was 'done'. Wan't long til I came to understand that joke!!!
    J.D.

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

Oh, I know, I am never done and you never will be either, lol
    I wouldn't mind seeing a wider shots of your yard or if you posted some when I was *out* tell me where they are, lol

We still have a lot of hummers and no feeders have been out yet. What I enjoy as much as the hummers are the butterflies and there is no way I could ever get a pic or video that would show what really goes on here. I love it
    Congrats JD on getting it, lol

• carrie751
    14 years ago

A work in progress, JD, that is all it will ever be.(grin)

• justintx
    Original Author
    14 years ago

jolana - I put a slideshow over on the 'Gallery'.
    carrie - any of that stuff look familiar?

• carolann_z8
    14 years ago

J.D. what a cool picture. My hummers take turns and I never catch more than two at the feeder any time. I had one little hummer that would guard the feeder and chase the others away. I watched him pin down a bigger hummer on the ground right under the feeder. Wish I could have taken a picture of it. I was so shocked.

J.D. I really liked the pond. Guess I should have put it in your yard when I made it. (snicker snicker)

• carolann_z8
    14 years ago

I made a video of one that visits the feeder all day long. I hope you can see it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hummingbird

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

Ahhh, there she is returning to the scene of the crime,LOL

• carolann_z8
    14 years ago

Hey...who added the killer grasshopper? Twernt me!! LOL

I wonder if JD's neighbors ever spoke to him about the pond, boat and other cool things that suddenly appeared in their yard.

• justintx
    Original Author
    14 years ago

carolann - at the time, I thought just about EVERYBODY had SOME contribution to the 'pot pourri'! This can be the most 'dog piling'est' bunch! LOL
    j.d.

• carolann_z8
    14 years ago

Dog pile on JD...hehehe

Jolana made me say that.

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

JD, I hope to grow up to be like you, lol
    'cause I don't want to be like this bunch and do that dog piling stuff anymore. Can I be your grasshoppa and you teach me perfectchunist. LMBO

• bossjim1
    14 years ago

J.D. your hummers are here! I swear I saw some tiny yellow ear tags.
    Jim

• melvalena
    14 years ago

AHH! I missed seeing the morning visit yesterday, we had to be on the road for an appt... I didn't see hummers all day long. :( Then, just as we sat down for dinner we spotted one at the far feeder.

Again, missed the morning window... I'll make more syrup and refill before dinner and see if they're still here.

Anyone else still seeing hummers?

OH and JD, my contribution to your Round Up picture was to email "someone" and suggest the bass boat. I don't have the skills necessary to put it there, but I know people who do! :)

Piling on with this bunch is so much fun.

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

HAHAHAHA, okay Mel, way to stand and fess up, hehehehehe
    We still have them and usually do a while after y'all
    So you don't want to be taught not to pile on? Hahaha

• carrie751
    14 years ago

Saw a hummer this morning on the various plants they love ... none at the feeders.

• justintx
    Original Author
    14 years ago

As of yesterday evening, I still had quite a few, but they hadn't emptied the feeders. I suspect this little cold front might have 'done the trick'. I'll see what I have when I get home. One slipped his collar and Jim is already seeing ear tags - they must have left.
    J.D.

• carolann_z8
    14 years ago

Mel, the bass boat was perfect. I don't know where JD put that boat. Maybe he went out in it to look for his hummers.

I've had either a few hummers that all look alike at the feeder today or the same hummer and he's very fast and thirsty.

• melvalena
    14 years ago

I actually saw hummers several times today. I bet most of the ones up here have already moved further south and we're down to the stragglers now. Not nearly as much activity here and no one is guarding the feeders anymore. :(

• justintx
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jolana said, "JD, I hope to grow up to be like you"

Now,,,,,The image of Jolana as an aging, fat, 'story telling' (aka lying) balding guy is just too much for me to bear.

Fluffer - you're in grave danger!
    ;-)
    J.D.

AND HEY, who did take my boat? There was a full bag of Whooper Chow in the live well.

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

HAHAHAHA, you haven't seen me lately, huh? LOL

I never had the boat, lol

but seems I recall hearing that Jim really needed surgery because he was lifting something heavy out of a boat?!?
    Okay, this is all making sense to me now, LOL

• carrie751
    14 years ago

Ah, what treacherous webs we weave .................LOL

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

HAHAHA
    Carrie, I am trying to learn 'story telling' (aka lying)
    I'll get better and it won't seem like a treacherous web, LOL

• bossjim1
    14 years ago

Jolana, I've found that if you'll keep practicing, it'll just come natural after awhile.
    Jim

• justintx
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm down to one or two showing up this morning (hummers, not story tellers).
    ;-)
    Jim, you're right, I've become a pathological story teller.
    J.D.

• carrie751
    14 years ago

Well, one of them must have made a swing by my house, JD, because I had ONE lonely little hummer this morning. He was not at the feeders, but on the Turk's cap and flame acanthus.
    Practice makes perfect, huh, Jim? I will have to remember that.

• melvalena
    14 years ago

I saw one today too. Little tiny thing who appeared to be quite scared and nervous.

• carrie751
    14 years ago

I have two today ..... still hanging around, they appeared to be tired.

• justintx
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Saw one Sunday 9-27.
    I'm glad we're recording this timeline. I couldn't remember when they were all gone last year, but it seems like they were gone much earlier.

• carrie751
    14 years ago

I still have them today, but they are much smaller than the ones that are usually here. These are really small !!

• melvalena
    14 years ago

I haven't seen any the last 2 days... but I have been awfully busy with other things and not able to sit and watch at my usual times. I did notice the feeders are all getting drained faster than they did in the summer. So its either the hummers or hummingbird moths at night.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    14 years ago

I only saw one hummingbird in my yard, but I do think it was one that had filled up at JD's house.

Carrie, what do you think? Here's the culprit:

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

My goodness Lin, what are y'all feeding them?

• justintx
    Original Author
    14 years ago

that's a wiry looking rascal!

• carrie751
    14 years ago

He does look as if he has been hanging out at JD's. No wonder all the others left.

• melvalena
    14 years ago

WOW no wonder mine have all fled!

I haven't seen one in days now... but I did refresh the feeders in hopes of seeing a few more of the stragglers.

• carolann_z8
    14 years ago

That would make a cute topiary.

I saw a tiny green one this morning. He was so cute.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    14 years ago

This one is feeding on the Salvia Greggii - see, things ARE bigger in Texas!

• justintx
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I THINK I saw one buzz by last night, but didn't see it well. Guess we're about done. shucks

• melvalena
    14 years ago

Didn't see a one yesterday, and I was looking for them.

My brain tells me they are gone...but my heart says hold on for one more sighting.

• carrie751
    14 years ago

I haven't seen one for two days now, so sadly, I think you are right, Mel !!!

• melvalena
    14 years ago

Gosh I miss them already!!! I'm so sad. :(

You guys down south keep your feeders up for them, please.

• melvalena
    14 years ago

I saw one yesterday in Waxahachie just as the rain kicked in.

• carrie751
    14 years ago

Boy, Mel, that is a long way to go to see ONE hummer ... don't deapair, they will be back next spring, and that is really something to look forward to.

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

Mel, I have feeders up and flowers everywhere that they are staying around. They were just haging around the salvia greggii but several bottlebrushes popped and they never leave them now, even though it has been raining nonstop, lol
    They will be back up there before you know it

• melvalena
    14 years ago

Carrie, I just had to see one more!! :)

Thoughts of my hummers' return is what gets me through Feb and March.
    Both miserable months for me. :(

• justintx
    Original Author
    14 years ago

picked up my feeders. Still have salvias, turks cap, coral honeysuckle blooming. They'll just have to go 'au natural'.

• carrie751
    14 years ago

Mine seem to like the flower nectar better than the feeders anyway JD.

• justintx
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just haven't seen any in several days now. I'm sure a drifter will drop by and I'm certain they'll find a few vittles blooming.

• carrie751
    14 years ago

I have a drifter this morning, JD, and just spotted him, of all places, coming out of one of my brug blooms. I have NEVER seen one go to a brug bloom before. There are still a lot of blooms on the plants he loves, so I am certain he will get enough nectar to sustain him.