Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pkponder2

West Nile anyone?

PKponder TX Z7B
9 years ago

My doctor suspects that I have West Nile Virus. I had blood work done this morning and won't know for 3-5 business days.

I live in a wooded area and although I'm diligent about emptying anything that holds water and mosquito dunking my lily pots, I do get bitten when working in the garden.

I imagine that some neighbor must not be as diligent plus the lake is only half a mile away. We do have a mosquito issue here. I've been using the Clip Ons when I remember, plus a bug light that I haven't wanted to use because I'm afraid for the fireflies and lacewings.

I just cannot use deet, it makes me itch and break out in a rash. The CDC site suggests lemon Eucalyptus oil. Has anyone used that for a repellant?

Symptoms for me are severe body and headaches, total exhaustion and depression. A few episodes of low grade fever and chills.

Comments (15)

• sunnysa
    9 years ago

PK,

I just saw your post and I'm so sorry that you are not feeling well and going through this difficult time. Sometimes we come upon a situation or a person who needs to be lifted up and carried for a bit...., it may be a friend, or it might even be a stranger. But whoever it is, somewhere deep down in our heart and soul we know we want to reach out to them.

It is during these situations that we have to go with our hearts. We don't know if our reaching out will help at all. We just have to reach out lift up and share their load. I hope you will gain the extra strength you need to fight this illness. Please know that you are not alone. You are in our prayers and if we can give you comfort or make the slightest difference, then we are here to help you and see you through this. Please keep us updated with your progress.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Pam, I am so sorry to hear that you've been having symptoms of West Nile virus. Please let us know how the tests come out.

I also do what I can to keep mosquitos from breeding in my yard, but as you say you can't control what the neighbors do or treat all the puddles that form after a rain. Many people are just not aware that mosquitos can breed in as little as a half a cup of water in a week or so. The higher the temperature the less time it take for them to complete their life cycle from egg to adult. Plus many folks now have rain barrels and they do not endeavor to kept mosquito free.

I use variious natural scented repellants and also found that scented dryer sheets really do work. I tuck one in a back pocket and one under a shoulder strap. Also tack them around the back door to help keep them from congregating around there. As most of us know they are attracted by the carbon dioxide we exhale and the scents mask it.

Wishing you absolutely and totally the very best outcome in this situation.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much ladies.

SunnySA, your reply brought tears to my eyes, thank you for your kindness.

Waiting for labs to come back is so hard. I'll let you know when I know. There is not much to be done for it, aside from treating the secondary illnesses. I hope I don't need a spinal tap. I'd just like to feel better.

Roselee, in my neighborhood, I can imagine them hatching in gutters full of leaves even. I have tried the dryer sheets and they do work as well as the Clip Ons. I sprayed with DEET today and went out to watch hubby mow (my favorite gardening job) and still got two bites! I think these are the tiny tiger mosquitoes, they are really tiny. I really hate the thought of not being able to enjoy my garden out of fear of being bitten again.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

PK, so sorry to hear you may have West Nile. I don't "know" you -- just saw this thread link over in the recent activity and wanted to check it out. If there is a silver lining to having West Nile, it would be getting a mild case and you may get an immunity to it. Hope that's true anyway.

I wanted to offer a couple of skeeter suggestions. First, spray the DEET on your clothing, including shoes and hat, and not your skin. It's not really a good thing to be putting on your skins anyway and my son's scout leaders always told them to get the strongest DEET they could, but never apply it to their skin.

Second thing is to use garlic to ward off the little vampires. Seriously. We have used garlic oil to spray the yard and garden and it keep the little suckers away (Amazon and Northline Express carry it). The garlic doesn't kill them, but it does seem to keep them at a distance. You will smell it in the yard -- like making garlic bread, for an hour or so, but it then starts to fade. In a few hours, most people won't notice it.

Hope that helps. Feel better soon.

• sunnysa
    9 years ago

Pam, I have to say that I got a chuckle over your favorite gardening job: "Watching hubby mow the lawn". I like that, too. I've never heard of the tiny tiger mosquitoes. I think we have those, too, but I thought they were gnats. I can't use deet either. My problem is allergies. Even though I enjoy being out in the yard when hubby is out there, I don't last very long because I don't use a repellent. We even planted a Beautyberry bush and I rubbed the leaves all over my arms and legs, and nope... that didn't work either!

I know what you mean about just wanting to feel better. I hope that comes soon.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I got my test results back and it is not West Nile Virus.

Back to the drawing board to find out what the issue is.

Sunny, I love to mow the lawn, that's my favorite gardening task :-) I had to watch hubby do my work :-)

• carrie751
    9 years ago

Pam, that is great news, and hopefully, you will find out soon what you need to treat so you can feel better. BTW, mowing is my favorite also.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Carrie, I know you miss mowing. It's just such a satisfying task!

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

Pam, so very glad you don't have W N but pray they find out what is wrong soon
    Sending hugs to you and will keep you in my prayers, OXO

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Pam, I'm with Jolana and all the rest above, but I'm betting you'll be over it before they figure out what it is!!!

Carrie, you and Pam have riding mowers no doubt ... LOL.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have a push mower and not too much lawn, just some SA in the back yard for the dog to run and rip on.

I'm hoping to feel a lot better really soon. Thanks everyone for the good thoughts and prayers.

• carrie751
    9 years ago

Yes, Roselee, when you mow four acres, it is best to have a riding mower. It is a satisfying task, as Pam says, and such a good time for reflections.

• Gretchen W.
    9 years ago

If you can't use anything with Deet I suggest you get the Avon Skin So Soft Repellant. I used up what I had and need to get more and that stuff really works. Plus it won't dry out your skin and smells nice. I have those Clip On Off fans but when the mosquitos are buzzing around they don't do much good. Good Luck and take it easy. West Nile I had it a couple of years ago. I try to keep sprayed when I venture outdoors.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gretchen, thank you for the recommendation. I hope that your West Nile symptoms are gone now.

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

Any diagnosis yet Pam? I'm sorry to hear you aren't feeling well.