Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pricklypearsatx

A little bit about me

pricklypearsatx
16 years ago

Hi,

I wish I could participate in GW forums more often. However, I have a chronic severe back problem. (For 20 years now.) Disc probs. Make it hard for me to sit at my computer. So, I come and go.

It also makes it hard for me to read what everyone is posting and to be able to respond.

Sometimes my problem is worse than other times.

I tend to do worse in the summer because I should be walking several miles per day. (Walking on a treadmill in a gym doesn't work)

I'm orginally from Wisconsin and have a very hard time walking when it is hot outside.

Luckily with temps going down in the 60's at night, I will be able to resume walking in the evenings.

Thank you for understanding. You guys are a great group.

Comments (13)

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

Welcome when you can! :^) PJ

• zitro_joe
    16 years ago

Prickly,

we look forward to hearing(reading) from you when we can! Where in Wisconsin are you from?

Zjoe

• pricklypearsatx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

PJ:

Thanks!!

• carolann_z8
    16 years ago

Hi pricklypearstx, it's nice to meet you.
    What area do you live in?
    Carol

• pricklypearsatx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you. Nice to meet both of you!

I've lived in San Antonio for 30 years.

Went to high school in Neenah, WI. Went to college at UW-Oshkosh. I have family in South Milwaukee/Racine.

My parents have a cottage way up near Park Falls/Fifield. Their cottage just happens to be on a lake in which over half of the land is owned by the forestry service. (Because of this there is very limited development on the lake and most of it is surrounded by hiking trails.)

My parents also live in San Antonio, but they visit WI every summer.

I sure miss the woods of up north.

• toadlilly
    16 years ago

We went to WI this May for SS's college graduation-soo pretty and green, and clean. I understand you missing it.

So YOU brought this weird weather to us! I love it, enjoy while it lasts, may we have a long fall followed by a long spring, and may you get your walking in so you can feel your best-CJ

• pricklypearsatx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I wish I would have brought this weather with me!!! It seems that snowbirds started flocking south in the 1970s. This was on the heals of doomsday predictions of an upcoming ice age.

So much for that!!!!

• natvtxn
    16 years ago

I certainly understand re your back problems. I had my first back surgery in 1982.
    Will you be attending the McArthur park swap in Oct.? Maybe you were there in the spring. It get confusing with cyber names and "real" names.

• prairiepaintbrush
    16 years ago

Hey Prickly. Why can't you use a treadmill? Just curious, I don't know about such things.

Did you know Joe Popp in Neenah?

I'm not on much either, usually working or lying on the sofa staring at the TV going *ugh*. It's good to see you when you can post. :)

• pricklypearsatx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't know if I knew Joe Popp?

As for treadmills, some people who have bad backs can use them, some can't. Wish I was one that could. Walking tends to "align the back" and "normalizes" things. The gait that is required for a treadmill isn't the "natural gait", that seems to help my back. But for some people a treadmill works fine.

Natvtxn: I'll see you next Saturday!

• natvtxn
    16 years ago

Oh good!

• natvtxn
    16 years ago

Did you see your picture? You were really looking at those plants.

• pricklypearsatx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kathy:

I couldn't find the pictures. I looked in all the forums.

I was in California two weekends ago. I hope my hot flashes didn't cause all those fires!!

Now, my husband suddenly came down with back problems. It happened all of a sudden and he's been miserable. I think he has a herniated disc. Doctor didn't want to do an MRI because MRI's often show herniated discs, which ends up leading to surgery. But, still, I think they should know.

He starts PT next Monday.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH