Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sally2_gw

Sometimes life is cut too short

sally2_gw
17 years ago

My daughter called me today with some sad news. Her boyfriend's dad passed away the day before yesterday. He was severely allergic to bees, and was stung. He injected himself twice with an epi-shot, but died on the way to the hospital. He left behind his wife, (the boyfriend's stepmom, his a 15 year old daughter, and his son. My DD said the gentleman and his daughter were very close. I never met him, as he lived in Pittsburgh. My daughter's boyfriend had just been to visit him while he was in the process of moving from one coast to the other - from Boston to San Fransisco. The day after he left his dad's place and flew to San Fransisco was when it happened. He had to call the people at his new job and tell them he couldn't come in yet, then turn around and head back to Pittsburgh. My daughter's been with this young man for 3 years now. She's heading to Pittsburgh tomorrow to be with him, again bad timing, as her senior year at college starts next week right after Labor Day. She said her boyfriend has been an emotional basket case just from the move (having to leave her behind, starting a new job, etc.) and now this happened.

Anyway, aside from just rambling about things that are probably of little interest, I want to share one little bit of good that happened. DD's boyfriend and his dad did not get along well, and usually fought when they were together. For some reason, this visit was different. They didn't fight. they got along. So, maybe his last memory of his dad will be a good one.

I keep being reminded of just how short life can be. I guess it's good to be reminded to celebrate life, to celebrate the people we love, maybe to mend some fences, and to make the most of and appreciate what we have, and to go ahead and do that thing we've been putting off till whenever. It's sad it takes a tragedy to do it.

Sally

Comments (13)

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

That is scary and tragic at the same time. I'm glad that they had a last moment not fighting. I will pray for everyone involved.PJ

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

That's sad. My grandbaby's allergic to bees so it always scares me to see them in the yard.
    I'll pray for the family.
    Carol

• sally2_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, Carol and PJ. My daughter is especially worried about the man's daughter. DD kept asking me, "What's she going to do?" I told her that since he was a commercial pilot, and his wife, the girl's mother, is a flight attendant, the girl is probably used to being on her own quite a bit, but I can't know that for sure. The girl will probably have a very tough time of it. It's never a good time to lose a parent, but at 15 almost 16, she's at a very vulnerable age.

Sally

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Oh Sally, how sad, 15 is young to be alone alot. I am very glad your DD's BF had a good visit with his Dad.
    I've had friends that didn't make amends with family memebers before losing them and it took them longer to get over it.
    I'll keep them in my prayers
    jolana

• trsinc
    17 years ago

Ok, now I'm crying.

Sally said,

"I keep being reminded of just how short life can be. I guess it's good to be reminded to celebrate life, to celebrate the people we love, maybe to mend some fences, and to make the most of and appreciate what we have, and to go ahead and do that thing we've been putting off till whenever. It's sad it takes a tragedy to do it."

And you are so right! We should never forget that.

• sally2_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for everyones kind words and prayers. I'll pass them on to DD so she can pass them on to her BF.

Sally

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Sometimes, we need to be reminded, that life is a fragile thing. There are no guarantees, and no assurances. Things happen.

Make sure you keep an updated professional photo made every few years. I hate to tell you how many times, I have had to try to reproduce a driver's license, or a bad snapshot, for an obituary news release. Or worse, had to go take a photo in casket, at the funeral home, because there was nothing else to remember a loved one by.

• sally2_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Good advice, Rick.

Sally

• Bev__
    17 years ago

And the good die young.....My mom was a saint and died of lung cancer very young.
    My dad is a #@&*$# and is full of cancer & has been for 9-10 years and keeps on getting remissions.
    I think his days are numbered now, his oncologist says if the chemo he's on now doesn't help there is nothing more she can do for him. He's 1/2 through this session and the pet scan last week shows more growth. He still drinks & smokes & chases trashy women & treats his family like dirt.
    I feel bad that I can't feel sad for him, I know he's very scared now, but he's still being an a--.
    I provide him with a nice house in Sun City, a car and pay his utilities but he couldn't even be bothered to spend an evening with me, my kids & grandkids when I was in AZ last week.
    OOPS, I think I got off the subject.......

• sally2_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm so very sorry about the loss of your mother when she was still young. I'm glad we're here for you so you can vent about your father. In spite of him being no good, you are a very special daughter.

Sally

• Bev__
    17 years ago

Thank you Sally, I need to vent big time!
    I work at it everyday to stir up forgiveness for him for all the bad he's done to our lives. I know when he's gone I'm going to have some big emotonal issues to deal with.

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

(((Bev)))) we'll listen
    jolana

• Bev__
    17 years ago

How wonderful & caring you all are. I appreciate it.
    Life is much to short to spend in anger.
    I think my dad is about the only thing in my life that makes me angry. The rest of my world is very good.