Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas1

Please Send Up Good Thoughts/ Prayers For My Brother

sylviatexas1
16 years ago

His oldest son & only grandson were killed in a car crash this afternoon.

My brother's name is Martin, his son was Adam, & the baby was Michael.

Please send Martin thoughts or prayers for strength, courage, peace.

Comments (30)

• west_texas_peg
    16 years ago

Sylvia, so sorry to hear of your loss. I will have you and your brother in my prayers.

Peggy

• bobbi_p
    16 years ago

I am sooo sorry...

Strength to you and your family at this difficult time.

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

I'm really sorry and I am glad to pray. PJ

• PKponder TX Z7B
    16 years ago

Prayers from us also for Martin and the rest of your family.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks to everyone for your condolences, thoughts, & good wishes.

Here's what I've learned today.

My brother still sounds rough-
    subdued, depressed, hoarse, like he's been up all night, but at least not shocky.

His other son & his daughter are on their way, & they'll get in touch with him as they hear what's going on.

Martin's ex-wife's father, 71, tried to pass in a no-passing zone, & hit either a tow truck or an 18-wheeler head on;
    the reports say that both drivers swerved, but in the same direction.

They had been on a holiday trip & were just 44 miles from home.

Adam's maternal grandmother (the driver's wife), Adam, Michael, & Michael's 3-yeara-old cousin were killed.

Adam, Michael, & the 3-year-old were ejected from the van as it rolled.

The 3 year old was in a car seat, but they couldn't tell if the others were wearing seat belts since the seats were ripped out of the van by the force of the impact.

Please continue to keep my brother & his wife & his ex-wife & the remaining children in your best thoughts.

Please send up a prayer or a good thought for the other driver.

He was treated & released from the hospital.

The accident wasn't his fault, but 4 people died in it, & that's got to be hard.

His first name is Michael.

• denisew
    16 years ago

My prayers go out to your family. This was a horrible accident. I hate to say this, but yes, it was his fault for trying to pass in a no passing zone. My prayers go out to him for forgiveness from his family and his own healing.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The wrecker driver wasn't at fault.

The grandfather (my brother's ex-father-in-law, aged 71) was the one who was trying to pass:

he was going around an *18-wheeler* in a no-passing zone.

& he's the only one who lived.

• little_dani
    16 years ago

So sorry for the grief. Of course I will offer prayers.

Janie

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

...for thoughts/prayers for Adam's mother Jackie, my brother's ex.

In one split second, she lost her mother, her son, & her grandson.

& her father was driving the van.

• carolann_z8
    16 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear this. This would be so hard to take. I'll be praying for you, your family and the other driver.
    Carol

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

Oh Sylvia that is awful news and I am so sorry to hear of your family's loss of dear loved one's.
    You know it's going to be really hard on the ex-father in law.It's hard for the whole family.
    Of course I will say prayers for your family.

• gabriell_gw
    16 years ago

This is so tragic. Sylvia I am thinking of you and all your fmily.You are all in my prayers.

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

Sylvia, what a tragedy, truly heartbreaking. Y'all will definetly be in my thoughts and prayers
    jolana

• remuda1
    16 years ago

Terrible tragedy Sylvia, I will be praying for strength and faith for your family.

Kristi

• sally2_gw
    16 years ago

Oh, Sylvia, how terrible! I don't have as much time at the computer these days, so I'm just now checking in on what's going on. I will certainly keep you and your family, and the other driver in my prayers. I can't imagine what your brother's ex-fil is going through. Just one moment of poor thinking and a tragedy results. He needs extra prayers I'm sure. So sad.

Sally

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The funeral is tomorrow, Thursday.

Adam & his son are to be buried together.

Hug your dear ones.

• sally2_gw
    16 years ago

Sylvia, I've thought of your family all day today. I think it's a good idea for them to be buried together. It'll be comforting.

Sally

• melvalena
    16 years ago

I'll be praying for your whole family and the other driver.

• Bev__
    16 years ago

How tragic.....I can't imagine how painful this must be for all your family. I am so sorry for all of you.
    My faith tells me God had a reason for this and I try not to question why.
    I will pray for all of your family and for the poor driver of the semi truck.
    I'll pray that he has the strength & courage to continue his career and live with the memories of this tragedy.

• Bev__
    16 years ago

I'll be praying for the wrecker driver too.

• grittymitts
    16 years ago

Oh Sylvia, what a terrible loss! I cried as I read of the awful emptiness they must all be feeling, and before starting my reply, I stopped to pray for each of them. May God hold them close in the days and months to come.

Please know that all of you will be in my daily prayers.

Suzi

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The funeral was this morning.

It was beautiful, & it was the most heartbreaking thing I ever saw.

Beautiful church, with beautiful flowers in tiers upon tiers, filling the entire end of the sanctuary where the pulpit was..
    & 4 caskets, 1 just about half the size of the others.

3 ministers, 4 eulogies, 1 for a 6-year-old & 1 for a 3-year-old.

What can you say in a eulogy for a first-grader?
    for a toddler?

They said Michael was smart as a whip & loved the water & asked pointed questions & never met a stranger.

They said little Landon was born in perpetual motion & brought a smile to every face.

& Landon, a surprise baby, may have saved his mother's life:

Had she not had a sonogram, the cancer that was growing inside her might not have been discovered until too late.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts, prayers, & good wishes.

It means a lot to me & to my family.

• Bev__
    16 years ago

The funeral sounds like it was very moving & the start of the healing process.
    I know the love & compassion of all the grieving family & friends will help each other to deal with this tragedy.

• sally2_gw
    16 years ago

I'm not here every day any more, but I'm still thinking of you and praying for you and your family every day, Sylvia.

Sally

• Dena Walters
    16 years ago

syliva,
    Im always late, but I know he hears late prayers too..I hope all is as well as it can be for you and your family, my thoughts and prayers are with you all and I have put your family on several prayer chains
    Dena

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks.

Michael's mother (Adam's ex-wife) decided to have him buried in her family plot in the little town where Martin & I grew up, rather than with Adam in Adam's maternal grandparents' plot.

I told my aunt (88 years old), & she said that's just fine, that cemetary is where my grandparents & some of my aunts & uncles are buried, so he'll "be with some of us, too".

Isn't it odd that that is so comforting?

I know he isn't really there, yet somehow it is comforting.

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

I don't know why either but most of my family is buried in one cemetery in Fort Worth from both sides of the family. My dad's parents are buried in Colleyville. I will most likely be buried where my grandparents, uncle are. My dad has a plot right next to his brother and dad told me he wanted us all to buried in the same cemetery.
    As if we think if we're close we'll be able to visit but to answer your question as strange as it may be there is comfort in being close to family.
    Visiting cemeteries has been something I loved doing as far back as I can recall. The older the better I like reading the names of people and seeing the head stones. It's not something I go out of my way to do. A time I can remember doing this was when we came across an old cemetery in the Colorado mountains and as you wander around the place you think and wonder what type of live they lived.

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

How sad. It makes me want to cry to read it. Everyone is still in my prayers. PJ

• prairiepaintbrush
    16 years ago

Oh, how horrible! I'm so sorry, this is my first time to read this. They will be in my prayers.

• natvtxn
    16 years ago

God bless your family. How terrible. I, too, just got on here.

((((((((((Hugs and prayers))))))))))))

Kathy