Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikeandbarb_gw

Question about mineral rights

mikeandbarb
17 years ago

Hey all, I have a question about mineral rights. My dad received a letter on his property, the company that is making the offer is small so he wouldn't want to settle for the small amount they are offering but, can he be forced into settling? Can he check other companies to see what they would offer? I know nothing about the in's and out's of mineral rights. Who and or where would we go for help on this?

BTW, This is in the city with homes all around and a school only two blocks away, I didn't think they could drill for gas so close.

Comments (10)

• carrie751
    17 years ago

I am assuming this is a lease you are referring to - right?
    If so, he has the choice of going with which ever leasing company he chooses. They usually lease by the acre for 2 years at a time, and there are many leases with a "no drill" clause. This is because most companies do horiziontal or slant drilling, and can go out quite a distance from the drill site. Talk with neighbors around him and see what they have been offered - there is no rush on this, Barb - get all your facts first.

• mikeandbarb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I think it may be a lease. I will be sure to check it out before we make a decision.
    Thank you, Barb

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Hi Barb, I have a cousin that used to live in Denton but rents her house out now. She sent me this link a while back. I don't think it answers your question but maybe some created by the letter your Dad got.
    jolana

Here is a link that might be useful: gas drilling

• peterbmoorman
    14 years ago

You should always shop around to make sure you get the best deal for your land. Check out http://www.mineralweb.com/ They have a lot of articles relating to leasing your oil and gas mineral rights.

Take your time and make sure you not only negotiate for a good price on your lease, but also make sure the terms are favorable.

Here is a link that might be useful: MineralWeb.com

• vwtx
    14 years ago

Make sure your Dad actually owns the mineral rights. Some builders retain the mineral rights after the property is sold.

I'm assuming, since he got the letter, that he does own the rights.

• sylviatexas1
    14 years ago

You might check with a title company or real estate attorney.

• rick_mcdaniel
    14 years ago

What you may not be aware of, is that specific companies are granted rights by specific municipalities, and that those rights can be granted, whether you agree to a lease on your specific property or not, in urban development. (Basically, the individual cannot stop this activity.)

So, check your municipality first, go to the company's office location 2nd, and request a copy of the lease agreement. (They are required to provide you a copy for the perusal of your attorney.)

If you, and / or your attorney find any problems within the agreement, then your attorney can advise you on any changes to the agreement you might choose to make, and present to the company, who can, of course, choose to reject your changes, and who can, in fact go ahead without your agreement anyway, in the end.

Basically, unless you have agreement with a large number of homeowners, (nearly impossible, since the company is offering cash compensation), you will be unable to stop the drilling anyway.

Remember......the citizen only has as many rights, as the government is willing to give you......and nothing more.

• little_dani
    14 years ago

I was just advised recently that gravel was considered a part of 'mineral rights'. Does anyone know if this is true?

I would not sell my mineral rights. I worked too hard to get them!

Janie

• rick_mcdaniel
    14 years ago

Janie, the mineral rights can be very specific, or very general. The proof is in the contract wording, like always.

• marion123
    14 years ago

Well.. I visit this site for the first time and I found this site very interesting..

Marion Barrett
    Find Attorney

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!