Look what I found in the paper

pjtexgirl
16 years ago

How sad! This woman lost so many plants!!! Why would someone do this? PJ

Here is a link that might be useful: vandals destroy woman's garden

Comments (36)

• justintx
    16 years ago

That's just plain stupid mean. I'd go to jail if I caught kids doing that (grounds for a good old fashion 'donkey kickin')

• grittymitts
    16 years ago

That made me cry. Whoever did this had surely seen this lil' lady working from her wheelchair, and deserves an old fashioned public horsewhipping!!

Suzi

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

Just horrible, I agree with JD and Suzi except I would throw in their parents

• rebecca150
    16 years ago

You know, there is a special place in hell for people that do things like this.

• carrie751
    16 years ago

And I'll supply the donkeys, JD. This is an act that I cannot comprehend the mindset behind it. How can you sleep at night knowing what you have done? Maybe I can help her with plants as Trophy Club is close to me.
    What a tragedy !!!!!

• rick_mcdaniel
    16 years ago

That's so pitiful. Kids are probably involved......but then, there are some rather unbalanced adults out there also, who might have done such a thing, just out of jealousy.

Pardon me, but I really am not very fond of the human animal these days.

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

Rick I know how you feel people can make it hard with the way they act and treat others but we're not all bad :)

PJ, I'm glad you read the paper and posted this. Carrie informed me of the post. I don't live very far from this lady so I went over there to see her but she didn't answer the door but I left her some plants and two pink roses cutting and asked her to contact me.

Although she could use more plants I'm sure she needs the help to plant them. Being in a wheel chair it's a one day at a time thing. I know I do the same one day at a time. I will ask her about helping her out and what plants she'd like to have.
    BTW, I think I seen her yard before and admired it as we drove by.
    If she gets back to me with a list I'll post it and see who can donate for the cause.

Barb

• stitches216
    16 years ago

Whoever did that destruction was just overcome by evil. I have to say, speaking for myself only, that accumulation of time and experience - punctuated by observations of works of evil like that - is not kind to hopes for evil to be overcome by goodness in the end. But at least for now, the evil done in the darkness has provided more opportunity for goodness to be seen in plain daylight.

• denisew
    16 years ago

I wish I lived closer to help out. All I can do is feel really bad for what happened to her and hope the people responsible have a lot of guilt - probably not. I'm glad to see some of you live close enough to help her get all the new plants in the garden. It will be a huge undertaking for her to do herself, but I'm sure if she had volunteers helping, she'd be right out there with them working with her tools from her chair.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    16 years ago

I sent an email to the reporter asking what plants she still needs too. What a horrible thing to do!

Pam

• justintx
    16 years ago

'stitches'
    You nailed it. Now its our OPPORTUNITY!!
    Pam,
    I know you'll let us know if you find anything out.
    J.D.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    16 years ago

I got Sherry's contact info from the reporter. Y'all can email me for it because I don't want to post it.

keenepam@hotmail.com

Pam

• PKponder TX Z7B
    16 years ago

Thank you PJ for posting this!!!

Pam

• denisew
    16 years ago

Pam - There is a lady here in Allen who has some antique roses in pots she would like to bring for this woman. Her name is Myra and I told her to e-mail you for contact information.

It would be great if we could get a list of plants that were destroyed so we could at least try to get those same types of plants back in her garden.

• sylviatexas1
    16 years ago

I just got some plants from Missinformation's Plant Rescue facility (her driveway).

I'm in Red Oak; if someone can come by here, or if I can meet someone someplace, I'd love for this lady to have some lantana, leadwort, & lamb's ears.

& I have tons of landscape irises & Kwanzo daylilies.

My mints look pretty raggedy this late in the year, but you only need a little root to have more in the spring, so I can probably find some chocolate, spearmint, and/or peppermint.

& I have lemon yellow Conestoga cannas, coral-colored Canna Indica Indian Shot, & maybe a Wyoming or 2 & maybe a tall true red or 2.

& if somebody puts together a get-together to help out at this lady's house, please let me know.

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

YOU ALL ARE SO WONDERFUL! I gotta get Carol to help me find Trophy club. I'm not sure if I have anything she wants tho. I'll email Pam! PJ

• melvalena
    16 years ago

Please let me know if you get a list of things she needs/wants and if a work party gets set up. I can contribute some plants, bring tools and refreshments.

Melvalena2@verizon.net

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

Thought I'd let you know that I went over to Sherry's yesterday and left her a few plants and my phone number she called me back today to thank me and I told her that I could ask you all about rounding up some plants for her. I asked her to make a list of what she'd like but she said she didn't care and that she'd be happy with anything that was given to her.

So if you all would like to get with me to get plants to her let me know.
    She has the Trophy Club ladies garden club going over friday to help with the rest of the clean up (removing soil)
    and planting the thing's she has right now but it's not very much but a start. Email me if you want or need my phone number to contact me.

Thank you, Barbara

• carolann_z8
    16 years ago

Barb, I can gather up a lot of plants at the plant swap for her if you would like to take them to her.

• denisew
    16 years ago

Okay - where is Trophy Club in relation to Fort Worth?

• melvalena
    16 years ago

If it was roundup used why are they removing the soil? I thought RU only affected the plant by the leaves/stems (and then only if it was actually growing) but once it was through the plant system, that was it.
    RU on/in the soil doesn't kill or hurt anything.

• justintx
    16 years ago

'RU on/in the soil doesn't kill or hurt anything.'

Sounds like overkill to me, too, but hey, its HER place.

• justintx
    16 years ago

Trophy Club is about 4 miles east of Texas Motor Speedway on Hwy 114 (about the intersection of Hwy 170)

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

Round up can kill a lot of plants. Sherry said that the person or persons that did it must have known how to do it. Even though it was a bottle of round up anything could have been in it. Like all vegetation killer. I'm sure she didn't smell the bottle to see what was in it, nor does she have the money to have it tested.
    The neighbor to the west of me sprayed a grass killer along the fence last year and my roses are close enough to the fence that it nearly killed my roses. Her yards sits higher than mine so it run into my flower bed.

BTW, Any plants that Sherry can't use or once she has more than needed will be donated to the ladies garden club. They are working on a park over by Marshall creek, Marshall creek is a very small town right between Trophy club and Roanoke and is very poor. But I some how doubt she'll get more than she can handle cause she had 160 plants but some maybe doubles.

Thank you Carol Sherry well be deeply moved by everyone's help. I've got some more thing's I can give too I just need the time to dig it up.

She has a small pond tucked between the house and garage I don't know if she plans on doing a water garden or not but meant to ask her, I will try to be sure to ask next time I talk to her.

Also she is an organic gardener and I believe this is what spurs her motive for replacing the soil not to mention that she does want to take any chances of loosing anymore plants.

Like a lot of us we don't like to use any poison our world is dying due to poisons :(
    When I was a kid I had to watch a pet of mine die because someone set out poison because they didn't like cats cause they caught birds, from then on I've hated any type of poison and have a fear of poisons.
    Barb

• justintx
    16 years ago

Hey, Barb,
    I understand where you (and all you organic gardeners are coming from). Meant NO bad above. There is no telling what else the 'bozos' may have put on her plants. She'll be lucky if it was just RU. I know of some stuff out there that will sterilize the soil - NOTHING will grow for 5 years!!

I've got some plants to drop off, too. Hope to donate some time too.

J.D.

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

OMG Five years I'd die if that happened to me.

Thank you JD. I'm trying to think of what would be best. Sherry seems over whamed right now with so many offering their help. A kind person donated a some money for her to buy plants. I told her to hold on to the money ( she's on a fix income) and wait to see what we all come up with.

I don't want to scare her if to many people showed up at her door maybe a few of us can go and drop of the plants talk a bit and go from there? But then I think it would be nice if we could take one day to show up with the plants and plant them for her. What do y'all think?
    Carrie will be donating some plants and she's looking at having them next week.

Barb

• PKponder TX Z7B
    16 years ago

I'd like to get a list of what she still needs so we don't overwhelm her with a monoculture! I just found a fabulous local nursery with lots of natives, but if natives aren't what she likes, I'd hate to overload her with them. JD has Turks Cap and Butterfly Bushes, I have loads of big salvia (Black and Blue, Indigo Spires, Tula) but I just don't know that she gardens the way I do. Heck those salvias are almost over my head and I'm standing up! I am open to a Friday afternoon planting session, if she is ok with that.

Denise, if the drive is too far for you, I work in the Frisco/Plano (121 and Legacy) area Friday through Monday and we could coordinate a pick up if you want.

Pam

• carolann_z8
    16 years ago

I'd be glad to help but I'd like to go out there with PJ after our garden club plant swap. I could gather up lots of plants from the swap and it would be cooler by then so she wouldn't have to tend to them as much.

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

Guess our on list of what we're taking would be good?
    I've taken calla lily bulbs, Daylily, yellow coneflower.
    Tomorrow Carrie and I are going over to give more plants. I have seeds to give alos they are 4 O'clocks,purple Clemoe, sweet pea vine, black eyed susan vine. She had plants that re-seeded.
    Carrie is bring a turks cap and about a dozen other plants.

JD, Sherry had a butterfly bush so I know she'd love to have another one.

Sherry told me that she had the front yard all done just the way she wanted it and was ready to start on the back yard next year. I'm thinking it would be great to help her out with this too.

• sylviatexas1
    16 years ago

Here's a link to a story.

Please let me know what I can contribute.

Here is a link that might be useful: story

• denisew
    16 years ago

Isn't it nice how gardeners can take care of each other like this? What a neat follow-up story.

Pam - The Allen Garden Club is having our plant swap on October 13, so maybe if we have some plants leftover (probably will), I could get them to you after that. Let me know if that is too late. I have no idea what kinds of plants will be there other than the ones I'm digging from my own garden. I know that Myra has some antique roses and she also lives in Allen over on the west side of Highway 75. I'm on the east side.

• sally2_gw
    16 years ago

I'm chiming in here late, as usual, but if there's anything I can donate, I will. I have various perennials such as Salvia guaranitica, Penstemon tenuis, Sedum, Spider Lilies, Aspidistra and a few other shade plants, if she has any shade, I just don't know how to get them where they need to go. I'm on the opposite side of the metroplex from most of y'all. I'll be at work through Saturday, but could be available Sunday or Monday.

Sally

• pjtexgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Can you feel the love???? This is fantastic!!!! :^) PJ

• gabriell_gw
    16 years ago

This story is shocking! Poor woman. I'm glad to hear she is getting help.I'm going to get in touch with her.

• Bev__
    16 years ago

I know from my years of wheel chair gardening that it is hard & very slow work. Digging is the hardest.
    Be sure to offer to plant what you bring.
    Gardeners are such caring people.