Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacquelyn8b

Newest member ...

Jacquelyn8b
17 years ago

I'd like y'all to meet Cooper ~

Mom and I went by the poodle rescue of Houstonhref> Tuesday afternoon so she could find a new baby.

(Her two poodles crossed the bridge last year at ages 15 and 17.)

The outstanding news is that Mom adopted a baby girl named Karen!

Cooper's an elderly poodle who was mourning himself to death, has tons of health problems and would not be adoptable by most sane people. (ahem) Of course, I couldn't let that little guy just lay there and die! Fortunantly, Mikie is being a trooper and they're getting along just fine.

'Coop' is going to the groomer tomorrow, keep your fingers crossed!

Comments (24)

• sylviatexas1
    17 years ago

He's precious!

That one's a keeper, Jac, & so are you!

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Jac, you must REALLY have a thing for curly hair! LOL! Adorable. Where's mom's new baby pic? PJ

• Jacquelyn8b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My folks are bringing Karen home either tonight or tomorrow morning.
    They didn't want to do it mid-week and have her alone in a new place while they were at work.
    Once she is settled, they intend to adopt her a friend.

Hmmmm...I was going to tell you there is a picture of Karen on the adoption page.
    Let's try this (www.poodlerescueofhouston)href> again.
    There are a lot of wonderful pooches not listed on the web page.

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Wow. It is hard to imagine that a poodle would need to be rescued.

I haven't had anything else since the '70's. Our current ones came from a breeder east of Waco, and we have Suzette (the athletic one), and Brandi (the conniving one). They are siblings, and have all the usual sibling rivalries.

Suzette is Cafe au Lait, and Brandi is Silver Beige.

Neither knows they are a dog. (grin)

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

Dang, you named him for me! My DH's nick name was Coop.

• mikeandbarb
    17 years ago

Awww, how sweet. I'm glad you saved this little follow so he can have a happier life. When we are looking for another dog we look at rescue shelters. My Lacy is from the grapevine pound and what a joy she is to us. LOL I think she owes us not the other way around but it's a good thing (smile)
    Our other dog was my uncles bless his heart, my uncle thought that he had his dog a home if anything happened to him but when it came down to it no one wanted him, So, what was I to do but take the big lug in and love him. He turned out to be a wonderful addition to our family even if he is hairy and sheds like mad, more like a big hairy ape he is and even though we comb him nothing helps the hair just keeps coming out by the droves. Guess it's the mix bred that he is.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Karen in her military issue hair cut is still a pretty girl!
    I miss having a small dog. My "girls" are a bit awkward to cuddle.
    I believe a small dog's training can be more relaxed because they are relativly harmless compaired to their larger dog brethren.
    These cute,homeless dogs are not helping me with my "no more animals" rule! PJ

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Here's a link to my girls:

http://photos.gardenweb.com/garden/galleries/2006/10/the_girls.html?cat=plant_loving_pets

I got the resolution a tad too low, but it will work.

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

Rick, they are so cute. What's your trick to get them both standing there?
    I once had a cafe au lait toy that weighed 4 lbs. Now I have a charcoal gray/ supposed to be silver toy. He is such a hoot and weighs 10 lbs. He thinks he is as big as the sheltie and cocker. One of the funniest things he does is get on the porch swing. It does not bother him that it moves/swings.

• mikeandbarb
    17 years ago

Rick your girls are cute.
    Talking about poodles my mom had one when I was in my teens this silly dog loved ice, mom would give her an ice cube and the dog would run up stairs with it and hide it under the bed where she would hide all of her toy's.
    Mom had a few poodles and everyone of them thought they were big dog's, they'd get her into trouble with big dog's in the neighborhood egging on a fight.
    On the other hand the dog we have that is rot/lab mix think's he's a toy poodle, he does not realize how big he is.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Your girls are pretty.Did you realize your babies match your furniture? LOL!PJ

• Bev__
    17 years ago

Pj's right the dogs do match the furniture! Thery're so cute.
    Cooper still looks scared, poor baby. He has the look in his eyes that my deceased Buffy would get when she was afraid. What kind of health issues other than age does he have? He's so handsome, with a haircut he'll be a knockout!
    I love poodle mixes, that's what Buffy was and the 2 monsters I have now are too. Poodles are just so special.
    I just don't know how anyone can desert a dog.

• Jacquelyn8b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Cooper and Michael ~ snoozing.

Cooper, groomed for comfort.

Rick, your girls are beautiful!

If I can remember most of it....Cooper is partially blind, completely deaf, missing most teeth and the rest are in bad shape, collapsing trachea, heart murmur, "trashed" hips, sliding patella on a hind leg and his ears are infected.
    *No heartworms, excellent vocal cords, a great spirit and a loving personality.

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

That sure Looks like BeBe snoozing next to Cooper.

T'was his lucky day when you went there with your mother.

You are braver than I. No way could I set myself up for that heart break coming down the road.

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Thanks for the comments on the "girls". They do match the decor.....but that was by accident. We had silver poodles previously....but they are harder to find in Texas, for some reason.

Got these girls about a week after loosing our previous "child". Had to drive to a place east of Waco to get them, from a breeder there. They "played" all the way home, in the worst of rough-house way. Anyway, they hadn't done any real damage to one another, by the time I got them home, so that was ok.

They stood together that way, because they naturally did that. They would go across the house, like they were joined at the hip. They don't like being separated at all. It is always a hassle to take them to the groomer or vet, because you can't take just one.

Anyway.....they are our "kids". The good part, is they can go to the "country club" when we need a break from them, or have someplace to go where "kids" aren't permitted. They do pretty well there, and hardly miss us, until we get back. (Thank goodness for a really good kennel.)

Rick

• Jacquelyn8b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Rick,

Could you email me, please?

Thanks, Jac

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Welcome Cooper, bless you Jac

• Jacquelyn8b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My DH took this of a loudly snoring Coop last night. Poor fella has such thin fur that the cold really gets to him. However, the old man in his flannel jammies seems to have found heaven on the electric blanket!

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

That dog looks way too happy wearing dopey blue spotted PJ's.PJ

• sylviatexas1
    17 years ago

Ain't y'all skeered having them big dawgs?

Ain't you afraid they'll eat somebody else's property?
    like a cow?
    or a Harley?

snork!

Cooper is adorable, I'm so glad that you (& Michael) have him.

Many years ago, someone told me that poodles do not believe that they're dogs & that it's just as well, because their owners don't, either.

I've never seen any evidence to the contrary!

Here's a quick link to Rick's motorcycle eaters.

(They really are beautiful.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Rick's Girls!

• sylviatexas1
    17 years ago

Here's a faster way to see Karen.

She's a beautiful dog!

Are poodles naturally thinnish,
    or is she maybe a little underweight?

(Buy that girl a milkshake!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Karen!

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Sylvia, poodles vary quite a bit in body size and weight. My two siblings, are very different in build, with one weighing almost twice as much as the other.

Like people, their bone structure varies, and along with that, their overall size and weight varies, as well.

Most will look very thin, though when closely clipped, or when wet. They do have a lot of hair, when un-groomed.

The photos of Karen look like a fairly normal body weight for a more active dog, but with that close clip, the haircut isn't particularly flattering.

• sylviatexas1
    17 years ago

Thanks, Rick.

• Jacquelyn8b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

They need to update their site!
    Karen had just finished heartworm treatments so she wasn't quite herself.
    She is very, very active. Spring loaded really!
    Poodles do tend to be rather slim and the vet wants them to stay that way.
    I've been told they can't support much extra weight.