Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zitro_joe

What to do?

zitro_joe
17 years ago

As I was getting ready for the day my daughter (she's two) was running in and out of the room. I was combing my hair and I began to smell something strange, then I reconized the smell-Vicks chest rub! I turning around because I knew the source was my daughter. Oh boy... Abigail saw daddy scoop out some stuff and put it in his hair so she decided to do the same, with the Vicks, not the hair cream.

This stuff does not come out! We have washed it 8 times now and even tried Dawn and Fast Orange,twice each Ahhh. Any home remedies out there?

The one good thing is that where ever we go our noses are clear.

Joe

Joe

Comments (13)

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Heh. That is funny. Probably will need something like rubbing alcohol or mineral spirits to dissolve it out. Not the most comfortable solution, though.

Be sure to wash that out with soap and water right away, as well, if you use one of those. (Flammable, so be careful.)

You might do a section test, first, to be sure it works.

The other alternative, is simply to let it wear out, with numerous washings.

• bunny_lover
    17 years ago

You might try something like peanut butter. It might absorb some of it and it would be non toxic. Good Luck!

• bunny_lover
    17 years ago

I thought of something else you could try: cornstarch or flour. Anything to absorb the product.

• naughtykitty
    17 years ago

The makers of Vick's should have a customer service phone number. Check the bottle and/or the internet. They should know the best solution. Good luck!

• sylviatexas1
    17 years ago

I posted a link on the Kitchen Table to try to get you some answers from experienced moms & grandmothers:

They know everything about household crises over there, & they're all very helpful.

Please don't put anything strong on her hair until somebody replies here;
    some stuff can actually dissolve the hair, & who knows what toxic mess could penetrate the scalp-you know, the scalp, the area of the skin that covers the brain, a bunch of nerves, stuff like that.

If no one posts pretty soon, call her pediatrician's office & ask.

Poor baby girl, just wants to be like her Daddy, & everybody gets all bent outta shape & her head smells funny...

Give that girl a hug & tell her she's very observant & has a healthy amount of curiosity, both very wonderful traits.

• JoanMN
    17 years ago

I'd go with Bunny Lover's idea of cornstarch, and if that doesn't do it, Kitty's idea of calling Vicks. Good luck!
    JoanMN

• good36
    17 years ago

I would try a vinegar rinse.
    Judy

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

I have absolutly no clue what to do but you sure have my sympathy!! Sounds like something my lil boogers would do if they got half a chance! Poor mom and dad! PJ

• Vulture61
    17 years ago

I would try with baby talc powder. I would apply enough on the dry scalp and would leave it on for about an hour. Hope it helps.

Omar

• mikeandbarb
    17 years ago

I hope your daughter is ok and you got the vicks out?
    Years from now you'll remember back on this day with a big smile then a laugh escape you.
    Got to love the little ones don't ya.

• grittymitts
    17 years ago

Hey there Joe,

I had no wonder cure for ya' either but am still wondering if you've gotten it out.

If not, call the pediatricians office.

One of mine got the top off a bottle of green ceramic paint & slathered it ALL
    over himself...only thing showing were the whites of his eyes. In his lil' yellow sleepers, he looked like he'd just stepped out of a UFO! Pediatrician advised using baby oil to get off as much as possible & let the rest wear off. He was sure a sick lookin' lil' fella' for awhile- as in green around the edges. We laugh about it now, but not at the time!

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

It's been a couple of days, now. How's she doing. I can't imagine that the Vicks would have done her any harm, unless it got into her eyes.

Did you know that rubbing Vicks on the bottom of your feet, yes, I said feet, is supposed to help relieve congestion and cold symptoms?

Hope she's okay.

Sally

• zitro_joe
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey everyone,
    thanks for of the responses. My intial suggestion to my wife was to throw some gasoline on it, but that was a no-go.

When Erin, my wife, tried to wash it out the first couple of times all that did was spread it finely over all her head and it seemed to cover her all of her hairs. She looked like she had not washed her hair in a year. She could care less but people were probably looking at us like we were crazy.

I tried the absorbant route, it did seem to work a bit. FYI, kitty litter is not the best choice. It to be all out now.

I was not able to respond earlier becuse we were taking a family trip to Houston. I was checking my email by the cell phone, but I was not about to use that number keypad to respond. This will definately be "Remember when..." story. Thanks again All!

Joe