The Mall

The Country Club

The Beauty Salon

Southern girls know the 3 deadly sins:

Having bad hair and nails

Having bad manners

Cooking bad food

More Suthen-ism's:

Only a Southerner knows the difference between a hissie fit and a conniption fit, and that you don't "HAVE" them, you "PITCH" them.

_____

Only a Southerner knows how many fish, collard greens, turnip greens, peas, beans, etc..., make up "a mess."

_____

Only a Southerner can show or point out to you the general direction of "yonder."

_____

Only a Southerner knows exactly how long "directly" is, as in: "Going to town, be back directly."

_____

Even Southern babies know that "Gimme some sugar" is not a request for the white, granular sweet substance that sits in a pretty little bowl in the middle of the table..

_____

All Southerners know exactly when "by and by" is. They might not use the term, but they know the concept well.

_____

Only a Southerner knows instinctively that the best gesture of solace for a neighbor who's got trouble is a plate of hot fried chicken and a big bowl of cold potato salad. If the neighbor's trouble is a real crisis, they also know to add a large banana puddin!

_____

Only Southerners grow up knowing the difference between "right near" and " a right far piece." They also know that "just down the road" can be 1 mile or 20

_____

Only a Southerner, both knows and understands, the difference between a redneck, a good ol' boy, and Po white trash.

_____

No true Southerner would ever assume that the car with the flashing turn signal is actually going to make a turn.

_____

A Southerner knows that "fixin" can be used as a noun, a verb, or an adverb.

_____

Only Southerners make friends while standing in lines, ... And when we're "in line,"... We talk to everybody!

_____

Put 100 Southerners in a room and half of them will discover they're related, even if only by marriage.

_____

In the South, y'all is singular, all y'all is plural.

_____

Southerners know grits come from corn and how to eat them.

_____

Every Southerner knows tomatoes with eggs, bacon, grits, and coffee are perfectly wonderful; that red eye gravy is also a breakfast food; and that fried green tomatoes are not a breakfast food.

_____

When you hear someone say, "Well, I caught myself lookin'," you know you are in the presence of a genuine Southerner!

_____

Only true Southerners say "sweet tea" and "sweet milk." Sweet tea indicates the need for sugar and lots of it -- we do not like our tea unsweetened. "Sweet milk" means you don't want buttermilk.

_____

And a true Southerner knows you don't scream obscenities at little old ladies who drive 30 MPH on the freeway.. You just say,"Bless her heart" ... And go your own way.

_____

To those of you who are still a little embarrassed by your Southerness: Take two tent revivals and a dose of sausage gravy and call me in the morning. Bless your heart!

_____

And to those of you who are still having a hard time understanding all this Southern stuff, .... bless your hearts, I hear they are fixin' to have classes on Southernness as a second language!

_____

Southern girls know men may come and go, but friends are fahevah !

Now...... Shugah, send this to someone who was raised in the South or wish they had been! If you're a Northern transplant,bless your little heart, fake it. We know you got here as fast as you could.

Comments (9)

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Mel, I love this and it is ALL true

One of my neighbors is from MA and she told me she had not ever seen so much fried chicken, potato salad and banana pudding in all of her life till she moved here, lol
    Thanks for posting this

• marlingardener
    14 years ago

Oh, so true! We moved here from upstate New York. For me it was coming home, and my husband is still in shock!

• beachplant
    14 years ago

The kiss of death, bless your heart!
    I also run a mop round the kitchen and make groceries.
    Tally HO!

• seamommy
    14 years ago

Ovella was a nice Southern lady and she had a new neighbor from 'up North' who had just moved in next door, Brenda. So she invited Brenda over to sit on the porch and get acquainted over some cool sweet tea.

After getting settled with their drinks, Ovella asked Brenda, "So, tell me Shugah wherever are ya'll from?"

Brenda looked down her aristocratic nose at Ovella and said, "Well, where I am from, we do not end a sentence with a preposition!"

Nonplussed, Ovella smiled sweetly and replied, "Oh I see. So tell me, wherever are ya'll from, b!tch?"

Southern ladies have their own brand of charm and poise.

Cheryl

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

HAHAHA

• beachplant
    14 years ago

Southern belle #1 sipping her mint julep leans over & says "Muh husband just bought me that there jag-u-are that I've been a wantin'".
    # 3 sips and says "ain't that nice"
    # 2 says "Well, muh husband just put in a new pool so ah can swim all day"
    # 3 says "ain't that nice" and swings and sips.
    A little while later # 1 leans towards # 3 and says "well, sugah, what has YOUR husband done for you lately?"
    # 3 takes a sip of her mint julep and says "well, he sent me to that fancy charm school so I could learn to say aint that nice instead of f### you".

So to the other forums that have no southern manners I say "ain't that nice"!

An oldie but one of my faves. AND one of the few jokes I actually remember.
    Tally HO!

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

Tally, I love that joke and always remember it also, lol
    I have a friend that I used to work with and when I call her and the secretary tells me she is busy, I say "just tell her. ain't that nice" and she immediately gets on the phone...laughing, LOL

• seamommy
    14 years ago

Another great one for my repertoi! Cheryl

• beachplant
    14 years ago

Goes Christmas shopping in a tank top, shorts, flip-flops and sunglasses because it's 82, but the next day when it's 72 wears long pants, thermal long sleeve shirt, long sleeve shirt, jacket and a scarf, along with thick wool socks and boots, preferably fur lined. And complains about the cold front.
    Tally HO!