Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bossjim1

Has anything like this happened to you.......

bossjim1
16 years ago

and if it has, what did you do about it? This weekend I went through the SPAM folder of my e-mail to see if maybe something I wanted or needed had been filed there instead of going to the inbox. I found an e-mail that said it was from MY e-mail address. I moved it over to the inbox and continued to check, then delete the SPAM folder. I went to the e-mail in question and opened it. It was an illicit ad for a website that sells knockoff ED drugs. Well, needless to say I was aggravated, after all it was from MY e-mail address. I highlighted the sender line and right clicked, then went to properties. Sure enough it was actually from some unknown e-mail address using my e-mail address as a sender name. Then I started thinking, this idiot could and probably is sending this to hundreds or even thousands of people using MY address, so now not only am I aggravated, I'm embarrassed. I forwarded it to the Attorney Generals office, with a note similar to this, but haven't heard anything from them. So, if you have had a similar experience, I would really appreciate any advise you could give. BTW, the wife or I have never gone to any kind of pharmaceutical website.

Jim

Comments (10)

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

Yes we have gotten emails with our own email address. I don't know how they do it but I ask DH before deleting them cause we do send stuff to ourself sometimes.

• justintx
    16 years ago

I've gotten email from my own address too. The crafty boogers 'mine' emails forwarded around with all of peoples' email addresses left in the headers. (that's one way).

Everybody should delete all of the headers from forwarded emails to help with this single issue. I'm sure there are other ways they get our email addresses also. There are too many people who simply are ignorant of the dangers ON the internet.

Use "Blind CC" whenever you can also. They won't show up in the header that way.

J.D.

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

We became a "hub" for spam somehow. My DH wiped the computer(Good Lord he was ticked!) and reinstalled better security. I understand someone can implant one of these "hub" thingies without your knowledge. PJ

• rick_mcdaniel
    16 years ago

Yup. Happens to everyone. The drug dealers (on-line) do that all the time.(Using other people's email addys.) Naturally, the drugs are highly likely to be fake, as well.

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Although I wouldn't wish this on anyone, I am somewhat relieved that I'm not the only one this has happened to. I just worry what if they send to someone I know they would think it was from me. I guess there is no sure solution.
    Jim

• rumbum
    16 years ago

Change your email password. Never click the "unsubscribe" link unless you are sure of who the sender is. Set up one email account for junk like contests or things that require you to sign up and another "real" email account for valid transactions which (hopefully) will not spam you. McAffee has a good anti-virus software. Norton will make your computer run very slow.

• sally2_gw
    16 years ago

Wow, Jim, that's awful. I don't remember that happening to me, but I'll be on the look out. Thanks for the heads up.

Sally

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Jim, I get these almost daily, I simply put them in my "JUNK" folder and block further emails from that particular address. But since they have so many addresses, it does not stop them. It is a bother, but not any real harm to me so far. BTW, I have MacAfee, also.

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Carrie, I also use MacAfee. I suppose I should just let everyone in my address book know to put my e-mail address in the SPAM file, then if they get e-mail from me, check the Subject line to see if it's legitimate. This is very embarrassing and quite frustrating.
    Jim

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

Jim, there are a lot of creeps out there.
    Horrible that you are having to deal with it
    jolana