Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zitro_joe

from this weekend

zitro_joe
16 years ago

We had family over this weekend for Abigail's birthday. My nephew, Chris, has recently taken up skateboarding. There is a small skate park here is I took over there. Surprisingly at 8:30, everyone left.

It was interesting taking the picture. There were three different types of light sources, so the white balance was all over the place. It caused some interesting back lighting for the pictures. I played around with the double slow shutter option. I liked the results, Chris thought they were really neat. I like that it allowed for motion blur yet also captures a still photo as well.

Here is a link to the made form that night, or you can follow the link at the bottom of the page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48GJfMrE280

Thumbnails are below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Video

Comments (8)

• denisew
    16 years ago

That is a really neat picture! It would look great blown up to poster size for his room - maybe a good Christmas present for him? Yeah, I'm already in that frame of mind. I already started my Christmas shopping.

• new_in_texas
    16 years ago

That's a cool picture and neat video, you're a good uncle.
    I know you've mentioned your new camera, but I don't think I caught which kind it was.

Carrie in San Angelo who needs to get out more because she didn't even know we had a skate park

• zitro_joe
    Original Author
    16 years ago

man, my spelling and grammar were horrible...

Thanks ladies. Carrie, the skate park is off the river walk, near the overpass of 277. About 200 yards east from the Kids Kingdom playground.

Zjoe

• zitro_joe
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Carrie,
    For SLR, I use/ have Olympus E1, E500, Canon XT and I had the Nikon D50(hated it).

I have many point and shoots. My wife mostly uses the P&S. When she is ready for a new one, it is mostly an issue of the size, oh , and she does not want any shutter lag. I take her specs and make several suggestions, then she chooses from my suggestions. That is usually how it works.
    Zjoe

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

It's the next Tony Hawk!!! Nice pics. PJ

• rick_mcdaniel
    16 years ago

Good job, Joe. Shooting action is a bit easier, when you can exercise control, and can shoot more than once. The results are usually far better, than grab shots, although sometimes a grab shot simply can't be duplicated.

Digital is far less forgiving, on mixed light sources, than film. Some aspects of photography have to be re-learned, in the digital world.

• zitro_joe
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Not too much has changed, the biggest difference is that digital cameras seem to be more sensitive to dynamic range. The relearning is not really from the photographers side, mostly the camera maker. Light hitting a flat sensor with millions of squares works a little differently than the 35mm film format. Basic photography techniques should remain the same. I don't remember the WB being any less or more difficult with film compared to digital. I started with film, and I think that makes you better photographer, you have to make sure all the technical aspect are correct in order for the picture be produce correctly. Digital give the option to simply erase and re-do, not money lost in that since you aren't wasting any film.

Zjoe

• rick_mcdaniel
    16 years ago

There are still some things that digital just doesn't handle as well as film. I use mostly digital these days, but still go back to film for some situations.

Sometimes that is dictated by format (4x5), and other times by shooting conditions.

Anyway, about 3 1/2 more years of clicking shutters, then it will be kick back time.