Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

How do you sew on knit materials?

Oh ye Texas GW members who know everything (smile) how do you sew on knit materials?

I used to sew like crazy, but after sewing hundreds of items up through my children's teen years I got tired of it and let my Mom (now deceased, but who loved to sew) do my hemming and alterations.

A couple of years ago I inherited a sewing machine from an aunt. It is probably who knows how old, (30 years?) but is like new because I don't think she ever figured out how to use it.

Anyway, it sews straight seams beautifully, but the stitches won't pick up on the knit materials of some items I'm attempting to alter. I tried the zig-zag and it won't do it either. So what's the secret of sewing finely knitted cotton and spandex containing fabrics? Perhaps a new modern sewing machine?

Comments (16)

• rick_mcdaniel
    15 years ago

As I recall, (avoiding the sewing machine as much as possible), you may just need to adjust your foot pressure.

A 30 yr. old machine would have been made to handle knits, as that was the era of polyester knits. (Which I hated.)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rick, thank you so much for replying. Same here on avoidance of making garments like I used to!

Anyway, I fiddled and fiddled with adjusting the foot pressure and the thread tension on top and bottom and still can't get it to sew. This is very light weight cotton knit with a little Lycra. The bobbin and the top threads just aren't catching each other at all. Also adjusted for light weight fabric and that didn't help either.

Maybe it has something to do with the thingy that moves the fabric, but when I put a piece of light weight fabric either on the underside OR on top of the area I trying to sew it works fine. So I dunno ...

• gabriell_gw
    15 years ago

Even though your 30 year old machine is like new, because of age it might need to be adjusted. Find a machine repair place. My machine is old but in good shape. Couple of years ago I had it cleaned and adjusted and found it to be like new. It was not expensive for this service.

• bobbi_p
    15 years ago

A ballpoint needle for knits might help a lot too. It spreads the fibers of the knits rather than trying to punch through and often helps the bobbin and top thread meet much easier!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gabriell, that's a good idea! I remember my Mom raving about how much it helped to take her sewing machine in and get it adjusted by a professional.

Bobbi, thanks! I've got a ballpoint machine needle on my shopping list.

If these things don't work I thought I'd try making the seam with a strip of light weight ribbon type binding since it seems to have no problem sewing with a regular piece of fabric on the top or bottom. I did one small alteration on the sleeve of a t-shirt using cloth. The blouse I want to take up on the sides needs a long strip.

Thanks again for all your suggestions!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    15 years ago

I agree with bobbi, the ballpoint needle will make all the difference!

• rick_mcdaniel
    15 years ago

My wife takes hers over to Hancock, and they have a service tech pick it up and then return it to the store. Convenient and affordable service.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Rick! That's good to know. I have a Hancock Fabric Store in my area. That's where I'm going to get the ballpoint needle that Bobbi and PK recommend.

• pris
    15 years ago

I'm a day late on this but you might also try asking over on THS. They have a sewing forum with some very knowledgeable people. I bought my machine in the mid 60's when my oldest was about 3. It was in storage for many years so when I took it out to see if it could be used, I had a similar problem with various fabrics, tension and the feed dogs. I took it to someone who cleaned and adjusted it and it sews like a new one. Sometimes that's all it takes.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks pris! BTW I got out my Mother's box of sewing stuff and found some ball point needles, but haven't tried them yet.

On your suggestion pris I went over to the THS and searched "knit fabrics" and got this thread (no pun intended ;-) among others.

How neat the guy asking questions is sewing for his wife!

Here is a link that might be useful: Beginner needs help with knit fabrics ....

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hope I get the link right this time ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to sewing forum

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The ball point needle helped a lot! But still about every 5th stitch was missed. It might have been due to the thread tension, but being ready to wear the garment I went ahead and sewed the seam using narrow bias tape on top. It worked fine. I'll go back to working with the tension, etc. later.

Thanks for all the good advice!

• mla2ofus
    15 years ago

It sounds like there may be a small burr on your bobbin holder or the shuttle. A repairman should catch those and be able to file them off

• didistoy
    9 years ago

I bought 3 dresses made of t-shirt fabric but they were too long. What was I thinking? The Neighbor suggested waxed paper both on bottom and top for hemming. I didn't have any so I used parchment paper but just under the fabric. It worked! The seams came out smooth and did not have any of the stretchy problems.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've since had the machine cleaned, oiled, and adjusted, but haven't tried sewing on light weight knits yet. Didistoy, thank you for the suggestion of using waxed or parchment paper. I'll try that next time.

My pile of things to be altered or mended is growing. It's not my favorite thing to do. The garden calls louder ... :-)

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

I never saw this before - but my answer would have been: I don't. lol

Actually, I bought a used serger years ago, and when it was working, it did great on knits. A regular sewing machine just give me wavy seams. Sewing on paper gave me loose stitches. So I just don't.