Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denisew03

Candy or salty snacks?

denisew
16 years ago

Okay, I thought I was being smart this year. A neighbor of ours always gives out a can of soda and a bag of chips for Halloween. I thought it would be neat to do something different other than give out candy. I saw that Target had little bags of mini pretzels, so I bought some. When my boys heard I was planning on giving out mini pretzel bags they said nobody is going to come to our house. Should I run out to buy candy to give out with the pretzels or just give out the pretzels?

Comments (10)

• rebecca150
    16 years ago

Give out the mini pretzels and then you won't have to worry about anybody coming to your house next year.

Also, the egg smell comes out of your entrance foyer after you scrub and rinse well with a mixture of baking soda and vinegar (rinse and repeat) and then rub it all down real good with some orange oil:-)

I'm just joking with you!

Seriously, it should be okay. Go get some candy if it makes you feel better....But kids really DO get plenty of candy from all the other houses!

But remember....The only thing YOU will have leftover to munch on is pretzels. Unless you raid your kids stash!!! Which may be why they want you to go get candy:-)

Happy Halloween!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• bossjim1
    16 years ago

I was watching 'How It's Made' on TV just last night. The show was about candy. They gave some survey results:
    Kids favorite Halloween treat - Bubble gum
    Kids least favorite Halloween treat - a tie between Fruit and Salty Treats.
    Sorry,
    Jim

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

HAHAHAHA, Denise, you are too cute. Most Moms might appreciate that, I would but they might have to eat them too, lol
    We are rural so we don't get any trick or treaters so we don't have to worry about salty or sweet. You could make a sweet snack with them but I doubt if parents let their kids eat things that people have made anymore.
    Maybe throw some candy in with the bags of pretzels
    jolana

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

Chocolate for the mo...I mean kids. Children love chocolate.PJ

• denisew
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I watched "How It's Made" the other night too and that is when I panicked a little. Plus, the boys telling me what they did made me even more nervous. I usually do get the good chocolates to eat, uh, I mean hand out to the kids, but I'm trying to be healthy (or I should say I'm trying to keep the kids healthy) this year. ;-)

• rick_mcdaniel
    16 years ago

Not any worse than unsweetened chocolate. (smile)

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

Never watch how your favorite stuff is made! Ignorance is bliss. I worked in a health food store for awhile. After about 6 billion stories about how 98% foods are processed etc...I finally burned out and didn't care anymore. Until my final burnout I was tempted to live on grubs and berries I found in the yard out of paranoia. Now when someone tries to tell me how thier current "blacklisted" food is made I tell them to shut up. PJ

• toadlilly
    16 years ago

What did you decide? How did it go? I get what I like, so I can eat the leftovers (this year-laffy taffy banana, and runts), I think kids are lucky to get anything, and it wouldn't hurt them to appreciate things! My kids always started on the sweet/sour stuff, then after that was gone, ate the salty stuff. No matter, it was all gone. (wrappers everywhere-still at ages 20,19,17, wrappers everywhere! I keep threating no more treats, but they know I don't mean it:) Happy After Halloween everyone:) CJ

• denisew
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm finally getting back to this conversation. We gave out all three bags of pretzels (that's over 100 little bags) and ran out around 8:00. We had a lot of kids in our neighborhood and my husband said there were no complaings. Now I am finding wrappers everywhere. It is very frustrating when I find them stuffed in the chair or between the sofa cushions, etc. They can be so messy and I'm always telling them to pick up their trash. I think that bag of candy will eventually make it to the trash so they don't rot their teeth.

• toadlilly
    16 years ago

Welcome to my world! I threatened, and in the end, I am the one picking up scraps of colored candy wrappers!!! Even if I don't buy anymore candy (and I don't buy much), they bring it home, open it here, and leave wrappers in my path! Yes, under the couch, between the cushions, in yard, in the floor of the truck-is all my path. I hear (from older-wiser moms) that someday I'll miss having kids (and possibly hubby) to pick up after-I doubt it! (I do (sometimes) miss the noise and energy they bring to a room:). CJ