Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas1

Met An Interesting Woman Today...

sylviatexas1
16 years ago

I was cruising through one of my favorite neighborhoods for leaf-gathering, & I saw a big trash can filled to the top with celosia (cock's comb) plants!

so I gathered up a bunch of the flower heads to collect seeds, &...

the homeowner came out to see what was going on.

She said her name was May.

She looked to be in her late sixties to early seventies, & she went around the whole gorgeous yard & garden & collected a bunch of flower heads for me & told me to come back to get the peppers before they all freeze.

I offered to help, but she said she'd been doing this so long that she had her own way of doing it & she preferred to do everything herself.

Although, she added, she no longer mows the lawn when the temps are nearing 100; her son worries so much that she finally allowed him to get her a yard man to mow during the hottest part of the summer.

She said she was a little behind in her gardening chores;

she'd been on a week-long trip to South Carolina & had just gotten back home.

She's lived in her house for nearly 30 years, had it built, threw herself in front of 5 trees that were in the back yard that the builder wanted to take out.

During the ice storm of 1979-1980, 3 of them fell on the house & she had to get a crane to remove them.

She said she told her son, who had wanted her to let the builder remove the trees in the first place, "Don't you dare say a word."

Her son replied, "I wasn't going to say a thing. In fact, I think they look nice just the way they are. Especially the one that's in the living room right now."

Then she looked a little surprised & said, "He's my baby. Tomorrow's his birthday. He'll be 65."

Duh.

So she must be what? 85?

must be at least that, if this son is her "baby".

She told me to just toss the seeds on the ground right now, & they'll sprout in the springtime.

She gets so many seedlings that she takes them to the nursery she's patronized for many many years, & in return, the nursery used to winter her bouganvillas & other tropicals.

Now, though, her tropicals have grown so big that she can't get them into her car, so she's converted half of her garage for the plants, with a grow light & a heater.

Here's to May, a native Texas garden treasure.

May we all grow up to be just like her.

Comments (17)

• justintx
    16 years ago

Neat story! I suspect you'll do some more 'visiting' with THAT treasure! Keep us posted.
    J.D.

• carrie751
    16 years ago

My kind of lady, Sylvia, give her my best!!!! Sounds as if the whole family has a great sense of humor, and boy, can that get us through some tough times!!! Report to us often on the comings and goings of May. God bless her.

• gabriell_gw
    16 years ago

She sounds like a person I would enjoy getting to know. Aren't you lucky to have met her?

• olgaflowers
    16 years ago

Yes! you are very lucky,
    I wish I had somebody like that to enjoy their wisdom of life. I would try and drop by once in awhile.
    she sounds likea true Texas Gardener !
    Olgaflowers,

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

I hope she invited you to come back. Sounds like you had a great time with her.
    I hope if I live to be that age I'll still be able to garden.

If you do get to know her maybe she'd like to join us for the swaps.

• denisew
    16 years ago

I hope I'm like that when I am her age - still outside enjoying my garden and actually doing the work myself. It sounds like the two of you will get along great!

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

What a treasure she is and I am so glad you got to meet her

• rigo74
    16 years ago

Great story, times like this make a fellow gardener fill all warm inside - Have a blessed day...
    Rigo74

• toadlilly
    16 years ago

Wonderful! See, digging in someone else's trash is a 'good thing'! (My hubby hates this:). What a Texas Treasure-how great of you to stop and listen, may we all do the same and really soak up all the great life our elders have to share with us. CJ

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

"digging in someone else's trash is a 'good thing'"

cj, I just tell myself it's karma.

When I was growing up, my mother had a friend who was a florist.

One day when my mother drove by Celeste's house/shop, she saw a zillion pots of mums sitting at the curb for the trash man.

Celeste told her that the plants had been forced to bloom for football corsages, & that she was finished with them;
    it was cheaper for her to buy new ones next year than to coddle these over-stressed plants....
    & she told my mother to take all the plants she wanted.

thought I was gonna die of embarrassment.

Every night-before-trash-day, my mother found some reason to run an errand that, coincidentally, took her right past Celeste's shop, & she *always* went through the floral "trash".

& would she *ever* go by herself?

Noooooo...Sylvia had to go with her.

I was mortified, & I swore I'd never do anything like that ever again.

Karma hears you when you say things like that.

• carrie751
    16 years ago

I truly believe that one man's trash is another's treasure. I would dig through "interesting" trash in a heartbeat.

• toadlilly
    16 years ago

"I was mortified, & I swore I'd never do anything like that ever again." LOL Yet there you were! Eyeballing someone's trash!! :) Famous last words-I love it! I call it the wisdom of age, getting caught isn't such a big deal anymore:).

My grandma (the ultimate lady) cared for many cemetery headstones, and most of her flowers came from the burn barrel at the cemetery. I started young digging out pretty flowers. I too like to cruse by on trash day, and my poor husband just dies. I now knock first (or try to;)
    you meet the neatest people that way. CJ

• marilyn_c
    16 years ago

Congrats on your new friend, Sylvia.

I love dumpster diving and curb shopping. Most people just wouldn't believe what you can find.

I brought home 12 baskets of spider plants about a year ago.
    They were all sun burned and looked horrible, but they were pitiful sitting by the road. I am a little bit of a plant snob...normally wouldn't give a spider plant a second thought, but I brought these home. Sat them in the shade and watered them. They were gorgeous this year. They have certainly paid back my small kindness ten fold!!

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

so see, Marilyn, you did a kindness for the plants & expanded the variety in your garden at the same time!

I just love this kind of stuff.

A few weeks ago, I picked up 5 or 6 bags of mulch-
    someone just raked it up & bagged it & set it out for the landfill!

Inside one of the bags were 3 pairs of new garden gloves.

My best haul, though, was the summer that I picked up a bag of bulbs that turned out to be spider lilies.
    a whole bag of 'em!

& picking up this stuff is a kindness for life on earth, too, keeping it out of the landfill as well as returning it to enrich the earth.

so I hereby encourage everyone to go out the night before the trash trucks come through your neighborhood & look for garden treasures!

• carrie751
    16 years ago

Sylvia, my neighbors do not garden, and I would have to go to Flower Mound or Highland Village to look for these treasures --- think someone may call the police on me????

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here's a link to a post on the Soil Compost & Mulch Forum that gives tips for collecting OPBL (Other People's Bagged Leaves);

It's helpful for all kinds of "lurking"!

Here is a link that might be useful: Leaf-Lurking Tips

• carrie751
    16 years ago

I remember reading that, Sylvia ----- thanks !!!